Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 15 ~ Wager

Post by natterss707 »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
I wasn't surprised but I wish he would have been discouraged. He was so sure of himself though, and when you're that confident about something it takes a lot to break that feeling.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?
I guess I knew it was coming eventually, but I didn't want it to happen so I was definitely pissed.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?
I was extremely happy with the way Bella reacted because I would have wanted to do the same thing. Jacob is immature so that's pretty much what I thought about his reaction. I wasn't surprised at Charlie or Edward's reactions I wish Charlie would have done more though.

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did?
No, not really.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?
I kind of go the hint that it would be to have sex with Edward, but I wasn't completely sure at this time. There was another part of me that she was just realizing everything that she had to give up to continue with her new life.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward? Not really, he's a very persistant kind of guy.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming? I saw it coming and I hated it. I wish the punch would've done something.

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react? Bella's was right on target, Jacob's was very care free to me, at least on the surface and Edward was predictable. But I'm kinda surprised that Charlie was so encouraging to Jacob.

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did? Not really.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?” I was thinking it was something with Edward, because she was looking at him all lovey-dovey so I figured it might be what she was thinking. :oops:
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward?
I wasn't surprised. He was the type not to give up so easily. I just hated seeing him get hurt over and over again.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming?
I kinda saw it coming and I kinda didn't. I knew he wanted to and I knew there would be a kiss. But him just grabbing her an laying one on her was a shock but then I thought 'that's a good way to get the message across'. Then I thought, 'that is so Jacob' :lol:

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react?
I have to admit that I would have punched him to. If I really didn't want him to kiss me and he did that. Jacob's reaction was just priceless. Charlie's reaction was funny but I wouldn't want someone doing that to my daughter and I would have at least made it known to Jacob. But Charlie makes up for that later by telling Bella that nobody should do that unless she wanted them to. I thought Edward would react like he did. I just wasn't expecting him to already be in his car on the way there and then just go silent on the phone and all you hear is a car engine speeding up. I loved that.

Well since they are vampires it wasn't a shock; and they do love to make their bets. I so expected that one too.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”
Sex while human. She wanted to know what it felt like human. She knew it would be different as a vampire.
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

No, in the first place, Bella was sending mixed signals. If she was really sure, she would not have tried all those times to escape and meet him. Also, that is just Jacob's personality, nothing daunts him, he is a positive, cheerful optimist and he will do whatever it takes. If he had Edward's brooding angst, he would have given up right away.

I saw it coming, it was sooooo funny too how she punched him in the face.

Bella's reaction was priceless, I would have punched him too. Jacob was of course as cheerful and not discouraged at all. I laughed at Charlie, it is sooo him to be biased in Jacob's favor. And at first I thought Edward would be more mad, but knowing what we do about him, it would make sense for him to have the utmost self control.

No, that's just guys, esp brothers. Jazz and Em's relationship have always been playful, competitive, like most real brothers, so of course they would bet and gamble too. I'm sure they bet about lots of things within the Cullen family, not just with Bella.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?”

I knew she was thinking about sex. Esp since every time Edward touched and kissed her, she would practically hyperventilate, stop breathing, faint, etc...she knows sex would be so much more extreme and she would be missing out on a lot of they did not do that while she was still human.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
Jazzy
Learning to Love Green
Location: Vancouver, BC (Where New Moon is being filmed YEAH!!)

Post by Jazzy »

No, in the first place, Bella was sending mixed signals. If she was really sure, she would not have tried all those times to escape and meet him. Also, that is just Jacob's personality, nothing daunts him, he is a positive, cheerful optimist and he will do whatever it takes. If he had Edward's brooding angst, he would have given up right away.

I saw it coming, it was sooooo funny too how she punched him in the face.

Bella's reaction was priceless, I would have punched him too. Jacob was of course as cheerful and not discouraged at all. I laughed at Charlie, it is sooo him to be biased in Jacob's favor. And at first I thought Edward would be more mad, but knowing what we do about him, it would make sense for him to have the utmost self control.

No, that's just guys, esp brothers. Jazz and Em's relationship have always been playful, competitive, like most real brothers, so of course they would bet and gamble too. I'm sure they bet about lots of things within the Cullen family, not just with Bella.

I knew she was thinking about sex. Esp since every time Edward touched and kissed her, she would practically hyperventilate, stop breathing, faint, etc...she knows sex would be so much more extreme and she would be missing out on a lot of they did not do that while she was still human.
Team Edward: Cos I love stupid shiny Volvo owners

Private Nichole Silver of Team PG - Jasper's Confederate Army Second Rank
ForJazz926
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by ForJazz926 »

FUNNIEST CHAPTER EVER!!!

No. Jacob is not only stubborn, but he relies more on instincts and feelings than words. He doesn't believe she's considered it enough, but he feels so strongly towards her that he believes there is more that she's not saying, and hasn't even realized yet.

I thought he was going to kiss her in New Moon, so I wasn't surprised that he kissed her. I was suprised that he did it in that instant, though - yes! After he was so sad-looking and flustered. I suppose he just thought there was no time like the present. I LOVED this scene so much - from the moment it happened to everyone's reactions afterward. I couldn't wipe the grin off my face and I laughed out loud.

Well obviously Jacob was a bit clueless about how great a kiss it was - I mean for the last half of it Bella was a statue, and the first half she was trying to get away from him. But I think it was funny how satisfied he was, and how brave he was just to walk in the house and tell Charlie - not run away like everyone expected him to. Bella's reaction was HILARIOUS. So was Edwards - I cracked up so hard when he was getting all threatening, but still taking such good care of Bella. Charlie made me laugh with his "good for you, kid" comment - not even worrying about Bella or her hand. Typical Charlie. :)

No - just a part of being a vampire. And the boys will bet - it's just part of their nature.

I thought she just meant loving Edward. I thought she meant that she didn't want to miss out on the way he made her feel.

Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Were you surprised at how undiscouraged Jacob remained, despite Bella’s assertions that she loves only Edward? I never understood while he was so persistent.

2. How did you feel about the kiss? Were you shocked like Bella, or did you see it coming? I was so shocked & mad!

3. Everyone reacted so differently to the kiss. What did you think about Bella’s reaction? Jacob’s? What about Charlie’s? And how did you think Edward was going to react? I was so glad when she punched him (that's this chapter right) I was so mad that Jacob was like oblivious to the fact she didn't kiss him back. Wasn't surprised by Charlie. I expected Edward to be A LOT Angrier.

4. Did you feel horror at the news of Jasper and Emmett’s bet, as Bella did? No I found it pretty funny.

5. As you read the end of the chapter, what did you think had Bella particularly concerned when she mused, “Was there a human experience I was not willing to give up?” I knew where her mind was and I don't blame her for wanting that experience before she was changed.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

It annoyed me that he wouldn't understand it and leave Bella alone. I hated Eclipse because of him.

I knew it was going to happen, but I was still shocked that he forced it on her. But knowing Jacob, he wouldn't of done it a different way.

I was glad that Bella punched him. I was so happy. Jacobs reaction was annoying and immature as usual. Charlies pissed me off. He should want what Bella wants. Obviously she didn't like it if she punched Jake. Charlie knew that, so he should've told Jacob off. I was soooo happy at Edwards expression. I just wished he was more furious. I wanted Edward to lunge and snarl at Jacob to scare him, but Jacob would probably just laugh. :l

Nope. I thought it was funny.

I knew what she meant. :mrgreen:
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
akire
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by akire »

No, not really. Jacob seemed has always seemed like kind of a stubborn guy. He knows Bella very well, even better than Edward in a lot of ways. At this point, he seems to understand a side of her that she hasn't yet acknowledged and he is determined to force her to acknowledge it.

No, I did not actually see this kiss coming. From Edward's reaction at the borderline, I thought it would be something... less dramatic.

Bella's reaction was totally justified. She didn't WANT him to kiss her, and didn't have the physical strength to fight him off. Jacob's reaction was so... Jacoby. Foolhardy, a little childlike. Ugh, Charlie's reaction was to be expected. I only say ugh because I'm not sure ANY girl wants her dad to react like that when he hears she was kissed. I have to say... I LOVED Edward's reaction. There is something so... satisfying about it. Heck yeah, he should be mad! I'd be pissed!

Not really. It seems like a very Emmett thing to do!

I was pretty sure I knew what she meant.

Image Image Image
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by sazykid »

No, he isn't the type to give up easily. I wish he would havegotten the message but I wasn't surprised he didn't.

I was completely shocked! I thought he might tell Bella he was in love with her and ask her to date him, but I did not see the kiss coming. I like Jake as her friend, but I was sort of annoyed with him that he would try that. I was also getting annoyed that he was not ending the kiss, especially since Bella didn't want it.

I thought Bella's reaction was prefectly understandable. She got a kiss she didn't want and wanted to show Jacob how mad she was about it. Jacob was a little ridiculous about it. I was expecting him to be happy about it because he liked it, but he really needed to calm the heck down and understand how upset Bella was. I was a little surprised at Charlie's reaction. I know he likes Jake more than Edward, but Bella was upset so I would have figured that Charlie would be upset too. If a guy kissed me and I didn't want him to, my dad would have at LEAST told the guy to go home lol. I was kind of expecting Edward's reaction, but at the same time I expected it to be different to. His reaction was logical for his character because he knew Bella would eventually be upset if he hurt Jake, and I was expecting him to be irritated like he was. But, at the same time I thought he might be upset in a different way. I mean he is always so hard on himself so I wouldn't put it past him to ask Bella if she enjoyed the kiss and if she would rather be with Jake because of it.

Yes, I hadn't even thought about her temper being a factor in how many people she might hurt once she was a vampire. To be honest I really hadn't thought too much about her hurting anyone. I was always so focused on the Cullens keeping her from doing something stupid, that I hadn't considered how Bella's stubborn-ness would affect things.

There could be two things she is thinking about. I think she was thinking about giving up her humanity. She hadn't really given much thought to what she would be like when she became a vampire until the bet came up. She knew there would be some risk and she wouldn't really be able to see her family. However, she never considered how much of a danger she would be to anyone else. It wasn't until Emmette and Japser's bet came up that she had any thought about what she might be giving up. On that same note, if she was giving up her humanity and her ability to think about anything but her thirst for a while she could have also thinking about Edward. The one thing he will not allow to happen is for them to have sex because he could hurt her. If she is too thirsty to think about anything else, she would want to experience being with him as a human and be able to enjoy it as a human.