Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
sazykid
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Chapter 14 ~ Declaration

Post by sazykid »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
Yes, I think it would have helped Bella prevent Jake from kissing her because she would have been able to remind him that they are just friends. But, Edward wants her to have the option to walk away from him and not telling Bella gives her that option.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I do think he wants to be the one to do it. He is hesitant because he does not want to kill her, but he would consider it because Bella wants him to be the one. She wants to be connected to him in every way possible, and even if he won't admit it, he wants the same thing.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to?
There are the obvious reasons of Bella's parents failed marriage and her young age. But, Jake is also a factor because even if she won't admit it she loves him and isn't ready to let him go.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
Hmm...Well I think if Jake was only his teenage self Bella would only see him as a brother type friend and there would be no twist to the story and nothing to keep the reader on edge. Bella isn't a huge fan of Jake's warewolf side because he does not put up with her crap and try to shelter her the way Edward does.Jake's warewolf side is more grown up and aware of what is going on. He isn't afraid to share how he feels about Bella and he isn't afraid to fight for her. The two sides combine make Jake worth reading about and highlighting the differences remind the reader why Bella has feelings for him as well as Edward and keeps them guessing at what she'll do next.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Yes and No. It is shocking because she knows it's important to Edward to stick to his diet. He's told her what it was like to see and HEAR the fear of his victims so it's a little surprising that she would ask him to go back to that, even if it was for a good cause. It's not shocking because this is the girl who was risking her life just to hear his voice so she'd do anything to keep him around. She also considers the Cullens her family, and she would do anything to keep them safe even if that meant sacraficing a stranger.
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

1. If Edward had shared Jacob’s thoughts with Bella (when he drops her off at the LaPush boundary line) do you think it would have caused Bella to acknowledge the pain she was causing Jacob and prevented the “Jacob-kiss” from happening?
I think it would have happened anyway. Jacob was so dead set on doing it, since he didn't even stop when she tried to push him away (He knew she wasn't into it..You sense these things pretty fast). So I think she would have been more prepared, but I still think she would have gone and I think the kiss would have happened.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it?
I think he wants to, since it would make a very strong bond between them. At the same time, he is also scared. He would fear that he would kill her. He doubts himself so much, but I always believed that he would be strong enough. And he's worried about causing her so much pain. So it's a little bit of both. But deep down, I think he wants to be the one and have that last human minute with her.

She's afraid because of her parents divorce, of getting married straight out of highschool. But she shouldn't be afraid of that with Edward, since they have something very special.

4. Bella constantly makes the distinction between the Jacob she likes—her young friend and the bitter werewolf Jacob who “bugs the hell” out of her. What do you think Stephenie’s purpose is in highlighting this throughout the book?
I think she wanted to fully develop Jacob as a character since he was an important person to the story. And she did that by showing the complexity of him, and all his different sides. It drives the story forward in some way, and both sides of Jacob are important to understand him.

5. Is is shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns?
Yes, in one way. It is shocking that she wants Edward to drink human blood, when she knows how much he has struggled to stay "clean", and she shouldn't want him to slip up. It would make it so much harder to go back to "vegeterian diet". And she should realize the suffering of the people involved. In an other way, it is not shocking, because she would do almost anything to protect Edward and the rest of her family. And she knows that they have to be as strong as possible.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Tonya

Post by Tonya »

I think he would have tried to kiss her anyway. He's pretty persistant.

2. Bella describes in detail why she wants Edward to change her. If she is going to be changed, do you think he wants to be the one to do it? yes if she's going to be changed he would like to be the one. Just like her he wants his vemon in her and no one elses.

3. What can you attribute Bella’s ambivalence about marriage to? Her mom and how she was raised.

Just what it says really that she likes the old Jake and wishes he never turned into a wolf.

5. Is it shocking that Bella would consider having Edward kill a human in order to gain an advantage in the fight against the newborns? No not to me.
scarlet_forever

Post by scarlet_forever »

Yes, it could have possibly acknowledged it, but she voiced her opinion a long time ago in New moon.

Yes, he is just particular in certain ways. I guess in his mind it would be his venom 'poisoning' her just like Bella describes. Also, he might think he would be better at it that someone else.

How she was raised.

Jacob's personality.

Sorta in the middle to me. She is freaked out by having innocent ppl die, but at the same time she would want anything for her vampire 'family'.
Xx~Scarlet_forever~xX

*~* Do you think that I could be scary?*~*
*~* What if I'm not a superhero? What if I'm the bad guy?*~*
*~* As long as I'm going to hell, I migh as well do it thoroughly*~*
*~* You smell so good in the rain*~*
Jazzy'sgirl112108
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Jazzy'sgirl112108 »

im not sure. bella's feelings about jacob change a lot and it would be interesting if that had prevented it.

i think so. he gives he practically everything, so why should this be an exception.

her age and her parents divorce.

im not sure.

yes, but she just wants the cullens to survive, so it doesnt matter at this point.
Betting on Alice.
you.are.my.heroin

Post by you.are.my.heroin »

Oh yeah.

Yeah

She's scarred.

That it's possible to love someone even when you're with you true love.

Nope.
**Kathryn**
ashleigh_renee
Settled in Forks

Post by ashleigh_renee »

I just think she'd be more aware of what might be coming (the kiss) but Jacob was determined as he wants to show Bella what he can be for her, or what it would be like. Come, its Jacob, the boys determined!

Edward would do anything for Bella, & as much as he thinks he's damming her soul, if it were to be anyone i reckon he'd want to be the one who does it & gets Bella's last minutes of "human" life.

Her stinking parents’ divorce! She can commit to eternal "damnation" where she would outlive all the people she's worrying about anyways! I got married at 19, come on Bella it's not like you have doubts of leaving him. What gets me is that she's only got what "4 weeks" of human life left? who cares! just do it!

That the readers throughout the book feel the same, i loove Jacob but then i want to strangle him for doing something stupid!

No, it did not shock me! but it was shocking..i'd feel the same, you want to protect your love, & for a minute you forget the consciences that there might be. The fact that Bella released that as soon as she said it was good.
..So the lion fell in love with the lamb..
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

I don't think so. I think Jacob would have done it anyway. I think Bella knows that she does cause Jacob pain from "leading him on" so to speak, but he has told her time and time again, that he still wants to see her despite how he feels. Edward respects other people's thoughts so I don't think he would have told Bella anyway, as if Jacob wanted her to know, he would tell her himself.

Yes definately. For similar reasons I'm sure. Edward would want to be the last thing that Bella's "human" mind would remember, and I'm sure that he would like his venom to poison her too, and then they would have a connection forever. Tho at the same time, he wouldn't want to hurt her one bit, and when he bites her, it's gonna hurt!

Her parents divorce. And actually, their marriage in general. Plus her age, and embarrassment at having to tell people that they are getting married, and the thoughts (ie. thats she's pregnant) that people will automatically assume.

To highlight that there is 2 sides to Jacob. The nice friendly Jacob, and the incredibly annoying Jacob!

A little, but she would want to do anything and everything to ensure that Edward and the rest of the Cullens survive the fight! People do crazy things, and have crazy thoughts, when their loved ones are in danger.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
futurevampire
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by futurevampire »

Maybe. There wasn't much she could do about it. If she realized she was causing him pain, she would have confronted him about it, but I think that would have just made him more desperate.
Yes. I don't think he could just stand there and watch. I think the way Edward thinks about it at the end of New Moon in the fanfiction Dark Side of the Moon is accurate...if Carlisle was going to change her, he would take his place and do it instead...that's what I would picture happening.
Her mother...being embarrassed and nervous about people talking about her and rumors.
To show that Jacob's different than the Jacob she used to like, and Bella struggles with dealing with the new, complicated, painful Jacob. She tries to find the old Jacob inside of him.
In the abstract, Bella would do something like that to protect him. A "stranger" might not matter as much when she doesn't consider it clearly, but if she actually thought about ending someone's life, I think she would take that back. It's a little overboard of her to feel THAT strongly about him that she would sacrifice someone else just to protect him a little bit more.
Edward and Bella Forever!!!<3 :: Lexicalia :: Team Esme!
Mafia: Natalia Gravano/Nat :: I'm on The List!! ~Marisa
alicecullenrocks
Settled in Forks

Post by alicecullenrocks »

I think at this point Edward had a fear that Bella would choose Jacob over him so he didnt share what he was thinking.

Yes, and he knows Bella enough to know its what she wants too.

her mums attitude to marriage before 30.

because jacob does become a bit over confident and an backside.

no, shes not really thinking rationally just thinking she wants him to be safe.