Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Black Rose
Learning to Love Green

Re: Chapter 13 ~ Newborn

Post by Black Rose »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?

Alice and Jasper's relationship seemed like fate only becayse Alice could see him coming. Without her visions, it would be just be meeting a random vampire who turned out to be eahc other's soul mates. With Bella and Edward, it was just that. They meet, not knowing that one day they'd be willing to sacriface themselves to save each other. and its a little more complitcated because Edward is a vampire and Bella is human.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?

In the world that he 'grow up in,' the volturi were what they were meant to be, respected and loved by the civil vampires. Th volturi were never meant to be taken as evil. They were actually meant to be taken as the good guys who kept the evil vampires under control.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?

Sometimes, but they also have to sacrifice the greater good for the less great and common people sometimes.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.

Carlisle is more loyal to the Denali clam because they are like family to him. He is starting to grow attched to the wolves, but he's not so caring toward them, yet, that he would say that is where his loyalties lie.
golden x sunshine
Learning to Love Green

Post by golden x sunshine »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice?
-Jasper and Alice's love, in my opinion is just as strong as Edward and Bella's, its just more subtle. Both loves' were destiny; it was fate that brought them together and made sure they stayed together.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi?
-Yes, actually. It confused me a little bit, because I thought most vampire would feel the same way about the Volturi the way Edward and Alice feel.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good?
-Yeah, I mean sometimes I guess. I think it all depends on the sitution and who the greater good is and what's going to happen to everyone whose not included in the greater good.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves.
-The Denali clan is basically like Carlisle's extended family, so his loyalty will always be strong with them for the rest of their existence. His loyalty to wolves is just for this one battle, and isn't nearly as strong as his loyalty the Denali clan.
"when life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end."
-twilight
Babygirl67
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Babygirl67 »

i think they bioth had something in common destiney and fate falling in love is not supposed to make since so i think both it was love at first sight

yes because he knows that they kind of make the laws for the vampires

yes because some decsions that people make are good and some are bad..

Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves
i think he feels like he has to be loyal but he also has to keep the treaty with the wolves
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward. Is one destiny and the other choice?

I believe that the meeting of Alice and Jasper was destiny. As Alice said, her first memory was of seeing Jasper's face, and knowing he would be in her future. We know that she sees outcomes of decisions, but we don't really see whether she made a decision that prompted this vision or not. This leads me to think destiny.

As for Bella and Edward, I believe it was more of a choice. Recall that back in Twilight, Edward wanted to kill her, and did everything he could to avoid that outcome. He then realizes he's falling for Bella, and starts acting out on this realization. On the other hand, Bella starts out extremely curious about him, which turns into infatuation. She didn't love him at first sight (murderous glare and all), but falls for him later.

Knowing his history, no. If it weren't for the Volturi, things would have been so much worse- for vampires and humans alike. Remember that he was a soldier, and brought up to respect authority. The Volturi are the very definition of authority in their world.

Without a doubt, yes. This question just asks whether they have to make such decisions, not if those decisions are good or not.

I believe Carlisle thinks of the clan in Denali as extended family. If I recall correctly, Edward tells Bella that they (the clan in Denali) are the only ones other than the Cullens who live as they do- "vegetarians" as they call themselves. On the other hand, Carlisle did broker the deal with the werewolves eighty-odd years ago, and I see no reason for him to want to go back on that deal. He had to make a difficult choice when he learned about the fallout from Laurent's death; ultimately, I think it was loyalty to his family that made him side with the wolves. If he had let Irina have her way, the truce with the werewolves would be broken, and that would put the Cullens in danger.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Alphie wrote:Many thanks to Spooncha and Echo 1 for the questions.

1) Jasper/Alice were destiny - Alice saw her future with Jasper as the first vision she had. She always knew he would be a part of her life & future. You can say that Edward/Bella were destiny too. But, I also believe that love is a choice adn these couple choice to love and were meant to be together.

2)Not really. He understood at that time the necessity of the Volturi's existence and the fact that they were the only ones who could control out-of control vampires and situations. They are the law and were effective in the execution of it.

3)Yes.

4)His loyalty to the Denali's is based on a long lasting relationship that was bascially a family thing. The wolves were a treaty that he was bound to uphold because Carlise was a man of intergrity and he truly did not have an issue with the wolves, he just wanted to live in peace & quiet.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
natterss707
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by natterss707 »

I think in both cases, it was both. Alice knew she was destined to find Jasper, and then when they found each other it didn't necessarily mean that they would be together, there had to be a choice. I believe that Edward and Bella were destined to be together. The potency of Bella's blood I feel is like a sign that they should be together although that probably doesn't make sense to many people. But it was mostly by choice.

Yeah, but more of a tone of respect, I think.

Yeah I do believe that there are certain decisions that are necessary and hard. But if the power is abused it should be taken away.

There's a different kind of loyalty in my opinion. Carlisle's loyalty to the Denali clan is that of a family but in this chapter it is also that of them being the same kind. Carlisle's loyalty with the wolves is that of allies in a "war" and also of the truce and the wolves protection of his family.
made by Ostentatious6277 @ Vesperarium
Credit fallingbeauty@Vesperarium for avatar.
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice? They both seem to be destiny, but Edward's had to make the choice to give up Bella's blood for her love.

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi? A little, but it does make sense at the same time since the Volturi kept the South under control.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good? Yes, I think that they do and sometimes people judge too quickly. A lot of leaders today have to make hard decisions.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves. Well, the wolves can either eat them up or let them live in peace, but the Denali clan is more of a family. You have spats with them, but you'll always make up.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
BellsEdwardalways
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by BellsEdwardalways »

So, I hope it's okay but I am only going to answer the first question because I really want to. The others I am not so interested but this one I have quite a bit to say.

I think that both are destiny but both had choices. This is going to sound weird but I think it was destiny because of the fact that they had choices and because of who they are. First off, we all have choices and maybe we have destinies. But the point is it is because of who we are that we make the choices we do that lead to our destinies. I am not sure that made any sense. But take a look at Alice she consciously made a choice to met Jasper in that diner right? The real question is would it have been un-Alice like if she had chosen to not meet Jasper. And every decision Jasper made was helping to lead him to Alice. Okay so if that didn't make sense, let me try again with Bella and Edward.

Bella being the way she is it was inevitable that she was going to make the decision to move to Forks and even though we weren't there with her when she was making the decision if we had been we would have known that it was what was going to happen. After all, it would be un-Bella like for her to do otherwise. What I am saying is her decisions/choices were also, leading her towards her destiny because of who she is. And because of who Edward is it led to the choices he made and his destiny. Hmmm...that doesn't seem very clear. What I am trying to say is that Edward and Bella being together is destiny because of the choices they made and they made those choices because of who they are. It is because of who they are that neither one of them was going to make any other choice other than the one that they did.

I feel like I am kind of talking circles but I also feel that I am not being clear that I am being confusing and so I am trying to make sure anyone who reads my post understands what I am saying. Really, I need to think of a good example. Okay, let me see if this works. I knew that there was never really any danger of Bella choosing Jacob over Edward because you see by this point I understood how her character works (and yes she also loved Edward more and that's part of it too) and knew that she was already committed to her relationship and love to Edward. She is not the kind of person who makes a decision and then immediately changes her mind. That was pointed out to us in Twilight. She says at some point that it was making the decision that is most troublesome for her (obviously not in those words) but after that she sticks to it and follows it through. So, early on she fell in love with Edward and committed herself to that relationship. When Edward left her whole world was thrown into a tailspin because it was a kind of going back on a decision. Obviously she didn't change her decision Edward changed his because he thought it was best for her. Back to topic, she doesn't go back on her choices so her commitment to Edward was still there even though he changed his choice. Granted if he hadn't come back (which by the way because of the way Edward is it was inevitable that he was going to return) she could have made a decision to move on and make Jacob happy because she was in love with him but her original commitment to Edward would still have been there because of the fact that she loves him more. Sorry about that back to my explanation. This leads me to that when Edward did come back she obviously was still committed to him. So, since that never ever changed because of who she is Jacob never ever ever had a chance.

Also, the situation and past and present people in a person's life influences his or her life. The people from your past make decisions for that influence who you are and the decisions you'll make then and now. Present people influence the decision you are going to make in your current situation.

I hope that made some sense if not. I am terribly sorry but I tried the best way I knew how and now I have to go to bed.
Last edited by BellsEdwardalways on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://chelseadawn.webs.com/
Banner by Kimmy. Avatar made by Narnia
Banner by threethings
spiritwolf32
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by spiritwolf32 »

That is really a hard question. I think it is both. But I'm leaning more toward destiny now that I am finished with the books.

No. I think they stood for something before. I think they just turned more to power hungry vamps in a way. But still they protect the secret which is a good thing. I just don't like who they were in the books. Though Aro was kind of funny at times with his cheerful attitude. I don't know, for some reason I just found him amusing.

Yeah I do but they took it too far. (I would go into detail but I don't want to spoil things for those who still haven't read all the books yet.

I think he respects the wolves for what they do and what they are. I know he also thinks of the Denali clan as family. But when you are wrong about something then your wrong, no matter who you are.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

1. Compare and contrast the Jasper/Alice meeting and subsequent love with that of Bella and Edward? Is one destiny and the other choice? I think for both couples it was destiny. But both Jasper & Edward had to make some decisions to be w/their loves. (Jasper to become a vegetarian and Edward to not give into the temptation that Bella's blood is for him. And for both of them it's hard and valiant.)

2. Do you think it’s odd that Jasper has a tone of reverence in his voice when he speaks of the Volturi? Not really. He knows & understands what it's like to be in a war zone and he respects authority.

3. Do you feel that sometimes people in a powerful position have to make hard and ruthless decisions for the “greater” good? Definitely.

4. Discuss Carlisle’s loyalty to the Denali clan, versus his loyalty to the wolves. The loyalty to the Denali clan is that of family. They think of each other as such. The wolves are because of the treaty.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson