Chapter by Chapter Eclipse Discussion

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Chapter 7 ~ Unhappy Ending

Post by BlueStarlight »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice? I was a bit confused. I thought Carlisle never killed humans. Is this mentioned somewhere on here that I haven't read yet???

2. What do you think about Edward’s reaction to Rosalie being changed? I can understand his concern. Rosalie came from a distinguished and popular family.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people? Hmm, I don't know. Carlisle probably thought she was justified; I mean, her fiance raped her and left her for dead. At least Rose didn't drink his blood.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story? I think Rose is a very vain person. It offended her that her brother chose someone she deemed "ordinary." It does make more sense, and I do understand her better... that doesn't mean that I like her any more than I did before knowing these facts.
mistytwilight85
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by mistytwilight85 »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice?

Esme has probably killed a few. Maybe under 5? I don't think she would have gotten too out of control because look at the way she is so loving to everyone. She's like a mother, and wouldn't intentionally hurt people. Emmet has probably killed somewhere around 10-20? I think that he knows he shouldn't but sometimes he just can't resist. He's an all around good guy though. Alice I would say maybe like Esme? Under 5 kills.

2. What do you think about Edward’s reaction to Rosalie being changed?

By what we know about him, he thinks that vampires have no souls and they are going to hell. So I think he was repulsed by Rosalie being turned. Not repulsed exactly, but he thinks her souls will be going to hell now, and that she doesn't deserve that. I think he would have wanted her to die naturally instead of having this kind of life. (Which Edward turns out to be right in this because she isn't happy as a vampire and would give anything to go back.) Plus Carlisle was thinking Rosalie would be for Edward was Esme is to him, and I think Edward knew he wouldn't feel that way about her.

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people?

I doubt any of the Cullens helped her. Rosalie probably didn't want anyone to help her, this is her revenge she wants it all to herself. I don't think Carlisle approved, but he wouldn't have stopped her. It was her choice to seek revenge or not.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story?

By how much we know about Rose now, I can totally see why she acts the way she does. I think it is shallow to dislike Bella for those reasons, and that is exactly what Rosalie is. She states that herself. She is caught up in herself, and can be very jealous.
Lauren Hale
Learning to Love Green

Post by Lauren Hale »

1. What do you think about the track records Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice?
I prefer not to guess how many people they might have killed, because i look at them as a very caring, and normal family that just has a few "problems". I think if they are all noble enough to be "vegetarians" than it doesnt matter how many people they killed in the beginning.

I believe that Edward was just being a guy, and might not have understood at that point why Carlisle was changing her, because he didt see her dying in the street, he really didnt feel anything towards her at that point...??

3. Rosalie set out to kill the men who had harmed her. Do you think any of the Cullens helped her? How do you think Carlisle felt about her killing people?
I think at that time it didnt matter, and im sure there was nothing they could have done to stop her anyways.

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story?
I guess it makes sense but I think it's quite stupid actaully, i think that rose is WAY to involved in herself to ever care DEEPLY for bella, i think there will ALWAYS be tention
rapidheartbeat<3twi
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by rapidheartbeat<3twi »

-I liked hearing about their vampirey pasts. I found this part very interesting. It's hard to picture Esme killing anyone, but then again, she was probably like any other newborn. Emmett, well if you have read MS, we know that he has killed people in the past. I get the idea that Alice has only killed people in necessary situations. It sounds like she had Carlisle's idea in her head what with her future seeing abilites from the very beginning.

-I think that Edward was simply being practical. He knew that she would be hard to hide, with her social status and all.

-I don't think any of the Cullen's helped her. I think Carlisle knew that she needed catharsis and justice. He knew the men were pigs and that he couldn't stop her even if he wanted to. He knew that she deserved to get revenge so to speak.

-I totally get what Rosalie was thinking. Especially when she explained about how she wanted a baby, and how Bella was just giving all that up. Her previous reactions towards Bella make total sense now.
"If you're going to have a lapse in control, I can think of a better place for it."-Bella-Eclipse
KaylaMarieBlack7

Post by KaylaMarieBlack7 »

Rosalie had a reason to kill the people that she did. They were horrible to her. Im not sure how many Emse has killed, but im sure its not much. Because Carlisle was there for her. I can see Emmett killing a few, but not like a whole bunch. And with Alice, she probably killed a lot. She didnt have anyone there for her that would be able to teach her otherwise.
I think its reasonable. Rosalie was someone who had a lot in life. She is self centered too, and Edward knows that.
I dont think that any of the Cullens helped her. Im sure she was able to do it herself, since she was suppose to be strong for being a newborn. Carlisle probably didn't like it much, but knew that they couldnt go on living and everything.
It makes a lot of sense. Rosalie would give anything to be able to be human again. To be able to live, and die, Have kids get married and everything.
I ♥ Jacob Black.
Ever since New Moon. =]
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Hmm interesting question. I think when I first read Twilight I assumed that all the Cullens had a time period where they were "regular" vampires before they joined Carlisle, but when I saw that Carlisle had been the one to change most of them, I realized that this wasn't true. I'd imagine Esme to have had a few slips, and Emmett maybe a few more since he seems to like confrontation. Alice, I don't know about. On the one hand I could see her having known about Carlisle's philosophy before they joined the family since she knew that's what they were going to do. On the other hand I can see her feeding in the way that Jasper was accustomed to while they travelled to join the Cullens.

I was a little curious about it. Knowing what I know now from Breaking Dawn about how Carlisle had intended Rosalie as his mate, I think it makes a little more sense. Like he was resisting that fact. I also thought it was probably just hard to Edward to accept someone knew coming into the family. Since he was the first I imagine that it was sometimes hard when someone new came to the family. And he could probably hear her thoughts which made him irritated about her too.

I didn't think any of the Cullen's helped her, I always thought she did it by herself since it was a very personal vendetta for her. I think that Carlisle disapproved of what she did, but on the other hand, Carlisle is so compassionate that I think he forgave Rosalie easily for it, since there was a small sense of justification about it, at least for Rosalie.

A little bit. Its hard for me to imagine someone that vain. And I have definitely never been in Rosalie's shoes with the beauty thing, so its a little hard for me to identify with her, even when she explains herself. The one reason for not liking her- because she is so eager to "throw her life/future" away is hardest for me to make sense of. I would think that like the rest of the family she would see the joy of Edward being with Bella and want them to be together forever. I can totally identify with Bella's aversion to aging when Edward doesn't, I think that fact alone would strongly influence my personal desire to become immortal. As far as the thing where she dislikes Bella in part because Edward was almost immediately attracted to Bella and he was never attracted to her is hard for me to identify with like I said earlier, but it does help me make sense of Rosalie's previous behavior. Its very hard for my to put myself in Rosalie's shoes, but I like hearing her tale.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
Twilove

Post by Twilove »

I'm sure they have all killed there fair share but I cannot imagine Esme killing anybody Alice I'm sure she was a pretty bad till she got a vision of the Cullens

I thought it was apropriete at the time She was part of one of the richest familes in the town and he was just trying to protect them from being exposed

No I'm sure Rosalie didn't need any help and would have perferred to do it alone anyway and I bet Carlisle didn't like it but she didn't shed blood so that's good

4. What do you think about Rosalie’s reasons for disliking Bella? Do they make more sense now that you know her story?I get why she dosn't like Bella and I feel bad for Rosalie her life just being taken away from her like that with no choice and here comes Bella with her human life in front of her and she chooses to become a vampire i'm sure if anybody was in Rosalies shoes we would feel the same resenment for Bella
Riddalyn

Post by Riddalyn »

I can't even BEGIN to think about Esme in that way. I literally don't know how. Emmett... I can imagine he's slipped up once or twice. Alice... well, at first, she had nobody. It must have been a little hard. Just like Edward, I don't judge them for it.

I think he was annoyed with Carlisle for having such a... soft touch. And of course, with Rosalie being very popular in town, they'd have to move, and she was bound to be somewhat of a difficulty.

Well. At the time, it was only her, Edward, and Carlisle... so I'm going to have to say, no, nobody helped her. I bet Carlisle was disappointed, but understood, really. He's like that.

It makes more sense, yes. You know, I always understood Rosalie's point of view. I understood, but I never sympathized with her until that moment.
Team Jake - Because I Can Take The HEAT
ThisStoryOfLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by ThisStoryOfLove »

I think that it shows that with enough determination a newborn can resist the temptation to kill people. I have no idea of how many people the rest of the Cullen's have killed, they just seem too kindhearted to have killed anyone but I know that this is not likely.

I think that his reaction was perfectly justified: Rosalie was a very well known young lady and it was risky of Carlisle to change her in my opinion.

I do not think that any of the Cullen's killed her. I think i kind of know what Carlisle thought of her because I have read the partial draft of Midnight Sun on Stephenie's site, I do not want to ruin it for anyone so I am not going to give my opinion.

I think it shows the reader even more how much looks matter to Rosalie, but it does give us a better understanding as to why she felt such hatred toward Bella.

"Oh, and also, I'm wretchedly in love with you."
-Edward, Midnight Sun
twilightapple
Wandering Through Town

Post by twilightapple »

1. What do you think about the track record form Rosalie mentions, hers and the others? How many people do you think Esme has killed? Emmett? Alice?

I found it surprising that she had a better than record than Esme because she is so loving. I could picture Carlisle killing some people before he knew that he could only feed off of animals.

Rosalie said that her track record is better than both Carlisle and Esme. So Esme must of slipped a few times in the beginning of her transformation and killed more than 4 people (I think thats how many Rosalie killed). Emmett is protective and aggressive so I'm guessing that he killed 15 people. Alice was on her own when she first turn into a vampire, and also had no memory of anything that happen before the transformation. I am guessinng that she killed the most just to survive and then became gentle when she met Jasper, but it's hard to tell how she would act with the transformation adjustment and no memory of who she is/was.

It was sort of funny that they were suppose to be mates when they were so opposite right from the get go. He was disgusted by her and she was offended by it.

In a way, the Cullens did help her, because if she wasn't turn into a vampire, they she would never have gotten the revenge that every other rape victum never gets. In another way, they didn't help her, because she lived longer with the memory of her rape. Carlisle probably took some confront in the fact that Rosalie isn't out killing a innocent group of men. She had her reason and he knows that none of the other women who are rape can have this sort of revenge. Rosalie also will prevent these men from hurting any other women so its justified.

Its understandable. Bella's life has not been scattered but some scumbag guy and she can build any life that she wants. I think that Rosalie wants to see Bella live the life that Rosalie wanted. Her story explains the way she is but I don't get why her is so bitter about her vampire life... did she want to die rather than 'live longer'?