Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: The Official Twilight Soundtrack

Post by Jazz Girl »

Pharmer4, unfortunately, the only other place I am aware of to find any of Rob's other music, other than iTunes is YouTube. There are some videos created from some live performances that he has done in the States and in London over the last year or so. But, I haven't ever found anywhere else to legally purchase his songs. You used to be able to on his MySpace page. But, for obvious reasons, that is inactive now. If you are ever able to find anything, please let me know. I would love to add the rest of his playlist to my collection.

I have purchased the score cd, and I like it a lot. There are some moments when I think it gets a bit repetitive, where I think Carter Burwell could have expanded some of the themes. But, overall, I am pretty impressed.

I am a big fan of "Bella's Lullaby". I know many of my fellow listeners found it simple, somehow not what they imagined. But, I think it is deceptively simple. There is actually a lot to the composition,the way it builds on itself. And, the way it ends is just spot on with the way it is described in the book. I do like the story behind its' creation. It is also included on the liner notes from Carter Burwell.

"Eyes on Fire" is probably my second(or third, depending on which version of which you are speaking) favorite song on the soundtrack I can't really give a specific reason, other than I absolutely love the vibe of it. It just fits so well, as I said in an earlier post. Lyrically, there are so many connections you can make to Bella & Edward's story. And, musically, it's just a really laid back vibe, but so intense at the same time.

I honestly can't say that I really have any feelings, good or bad, about Perry's contribution. It's a good song, but it never really jumped out to impress or bother me. I do like the way it is used in the film, with just those chords underlying that moment between Edward and Bella. I think, in that moment, the sound of it does capture a kind of wonder that I always perceive Edward feeling in that moment, wonder at what he did, what he risked for just another human girl. Dramatically, I think it sounds right there. But, as for the rest of the song, I can't say I feel strongly either way.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
twilightsagaaddict
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by twilightsagaaddict »

pharmer4 that was an excellent post earlier! I wasn't sure I would like the soundtrack-I like Linkin Park and Collective Soul, but had never heard of Paramore or Muse before; I really like them! (My muscial choices the past 11 years have been built around kids...GAH!) :o

I love the soundtrack! And like Supervixen, I'm totally getting into Stephenie Meyer's playlists. I had to look up the lyrics to the songs-a throwback to when you would buy an album and got excited when the words were included on the sleeve.

I think the music provides an additional dimension to experience! I can't wait to see what they will do with NM.....
Proud resident of Rob's Halfway House !!Image
Banner by TammyAZ
SuperVixen
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by SuperVixen »

twilightsagaaddict wrote: I can't wait to see what they will do with NM.....
I hope it will be as good as SM's playlist. I think her NM one is my favorite. It makes me cry sometimes but it should right?

I have a few songs of Rob Pattinson's but I got them from a friend and I have no idea where she got them from. I haven't given them a listen yet but I plan to this weekend.
Nothing said Happy Valentine’s Day like a big shiny &%@* unicorn
Alls
Settled in Forks

Post by Alls »

what do you guys think of the official Twilight movie character playlists?
have any of you been making covers?

here are mine:

Bella's Twilight playlist
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/622/tw ... istar3.jpg

Edward's Twilight playlist
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1552/t ... isthv4.jpg
older_twilight_fan
Lusting for Blood
Location: Somewhere in Louisiana, praying that Summit won't "fade to black" in Breaking Dawn

Post by older_twilight_fan »

pharmer4 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys. A lot of the articles I write are more detailed than that, but they might not be about the type of music you like. My profile has the link to my site if anyone is interested, but it is mainly metal, I've voluntarily rated the site MA15+

I am also wondering, does anyone know if there is another place to buy Rob's other song other than iTunes, because on iTunes Australia (and possibly elsewhere), you can only buy it if you purchase the entire album.

Please note I want a place to purchase it - when it comes to music, I am scrupulously ethical - I pay for music to support the artists (especially since my day job as a pharmacist gives me a comfortable-enough income that downloading would be dispicable).

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the other songs on the album - I believe that Perry Farrel's song is the most unpopular, and I think that although it is a well crafted song, this dislike is well justified, as it does not fit well with the feel of the saga, or the movie.

The Black Ghosts' "Full Moon" I think is fantastic, as is MuteMath's "Spotlight" and Blue Foundation's "Eyes On Fire" - very very good songs.

On a similar track, has anyone bought the cinematic soundtrack by Carter Burwell - he's a pretty impressive composer, I must say.

I especially like his explanation for the original of Bella's Lullaby - I believe you can find his background story to it on SM's website.
I enjoyed your interesting and insightful post about the soundtrack earlier. I purchased the soundtrack about a week or so before I saw Twilight. It's grown on me as I've learned to really appreciate the lyrics, as well as the music itself. It's amazing how well stylistically many of the songs seem to fit within the scenes for which they were chosen.

I can't really choose a favorite song, but I love most of the songs for different reasons:

Supermassive Black Hole simply because it's a kicka** song that was great for the baseball scene;
Decode and I Caught Myself because the lyrics seem to represent certain aspects of Bella's and Edward's relationship so well;
Spotlight and Eyes on Fire because they seem perfectly suited to the scenes in the movie they frame (Bella and Edward "going public" for the first time, and Bella lamenting about Edward's treatment of her when they met for the first time in Biology

I very much liked Linkin Park's and Collective Soul's contribution to the soundtrack as well. I also love Flightless Bird, American Mouth and read somewhere that Kristen Stewart suggested that song for the prom scene. It has such a haunting, poignant melody and I do appreciate the lyrics, even though I cannot fully understand exactly what they mean and represent--LOL. Go All the Way was not one of my favorites, but it did seem to fit well with the "human" and teenage aspects of the prom scene.

I was very pleasantly surprised by Rob Pattinson's playing and singing skills and look forward to hearing more from him in the future. He seems to sing with so much emotion, and I like that he seems to sing more for his own fulfillment than really caring about what others think (in my humble opinion, anyway). I thought both Never Think and Let Me Sign were perfect to accompany the restaurant scene and ballet studio scenes and made the scenes all the more effective.

I love Bella's lullaby and I actually bought the piano sheet music for the score, just for that song. I know some Twilight fans criticized the song for not sounding like a lullaby or not sounding "sweet", but I think the minor key and haunting sound more effectively embodied the angst and intensity of Bella's and Edward's relationship. I thought it was interesting that Carter Burwell seemed to weave Bella's Lullaby throughout much of the musical score. I did read his background of the song on his website and found it very interesting.

Look forward to hearing more from you on the boards.
Banner by TammyAZ
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

I'm really getting to like this board, because people actually take the time to read posts and respond!!!

I agree about the difficulty in interpreting Flightless Bird, American Mouth - it's very poetic, and evocative, rather than being descriptive or literal.

I think the overall theme, though, is loss - actually, it's more like soul-rending loss.

I think many people will understnd what I am trying to get at in the next paragraph, so this is my thoughts on FB,AM.

Do you remember being a child, when things are much simpler, and you discover something very important to you - it becomes something so overwhelming in your life that you can't do many things withouth it impacting on every other part of your life - it informs your decisions and guides your thoughts a lot of the time.

This could be something new you've discovered for the first time, a crush on someone, etc.

Invariably, you lose whatever the infatuation is. Your crush breaks up with you, or you just somehow lose the magical infatuation.

The loss you feel from this situation is what they are singing about, and trying to get it back. Not just the loss of whatever the infatuation is, but the loss of the FEELING of that infatuation. I think that part is both a bit more obscure, and may not have occured to people, but it is also a loss that people feel more keenly - like a loss of inocence, really.

You can really pick up on it in the chorus - he seems so heart-wrenched when he sings "Have I found you, Flightless Bird" If you are feeling depressed about something, this song will either make you feel better, just because the song itself seems to understand what you are feeling - either that, or it'll tip you in a lot deeper. Hopefully the former, because that is the power of music.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
daniel.cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by daniel.cullen »

pharmer4, A quick hello from another straight, 30 year old tattooed, metal-loving man, who happens to share Bella and Jacob's enjoyment of motorcycles, in fact, I've recently decided on a name for my bike: Alice!!.

As far as my picks on the soundtrack, I've become an instant fan of Rob Pattinson's music. Please don't flame me, but I think he's a better musician than actor. Not to say I don't like his acting, I just love his music. Talk about emotion!!! So, Never Think and Let Me Sign are tied for my top two.

I think after that, I'd have to go with the two Paramore songs, then Supermassive, Linkin Park, and Spotlight. The other songs are ok, but Flightless bird is starting to grow on me. The more I listen to it, the more it breaks my heart. I also really like Bella's lullaby, though it's not what I imagined. I thought it would be more complex.

Pharmer4, I like your take on the lyrics to Decode, just gotta say, I feel like your view is a little different from mine.

How can I decide what's right?
When you're clouding up my mind
Can't win your losing fight all the time
Not gonna ever own what's mine
When you're always taking sides
You wont take away my pride
No not this time
Not this time

This sounds to me like the confusion and frustration Edward feels when he realizes he can't read Bella. Like maybe he feels like the ability to read other peoples' thoughts gave him possession of the thoughts. And he doesn't want to kill her at the beginning because he is proud of the fact that he his no longer a kiler. Mind you, I've taken some of this from Midnight Sun (thank you SM for the insight into Edward, and subsequently Alice's, thoughts).

The truth is hiding in your eyes
And its hanging on your tongue
Just boiling in my blood,
But you think that I can't see
What kind of man that you are
If you're a man at all
Well, I will figure this one out on my own

obviously Bella....

I think I know
I think I know
There is something that I see in you
It might kill me I want it to be true

both of them... the obvious danger to Bella, and the fact that Edward has suddenly found what he can no longer exist without.

I totally agree with you about Rob's music... HOOKER IS WHO IT REMINDS ME OF!!! I've been struggling with that for weeks.. I kept thinking Van Morrison. As to Rob not being on the NM soundtrack, that would be just plain foolish, in my opinion!!

I gotta send the same apology as pharmer4: Sorry so long. Music is one of my passions, and I could probably write pages about the strengths and weaknesses of this CD (or any other).
yanjan3
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela
Location: Happily moving to a world where Humans, Vamps and Werewolves get along...

Post by yanjan3 »

I was confused about Paramore's I caught Myself.

The "hypnotic" part indicates that it is about Edward.. but it also mentions that "I know in my heart its NOT you", so that tells me it was about Jacob, it would've been more appropriate in the Eclipse soundtrack, when she was developing feelings for Jacob but she knew in her heart that Edward IS the one and no one else.

"I don't know what I want, but I know its not you, keep pushing and pulling me down to you, when I know in my heart its not you" and "now when I caught myself, I had to stop myself from saying something that I should've thought of you" : those lyrics, IMO, describes Bella feelings towards Jacob when she figured out that she loves him (after his persistence) but knows that she shouldn't.
ImageImage
"I rate hot guys from 1 to RobPattinson".
pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by pharmer4 »

daniel.cullen wrote:Music is one of my passions, and I could probably write pages about the strengths and weaknesses of this CD (or any other).
Hey dude, glad to see more dudes (even though I'm probably a bit new to be welcoming people . . .)

If you like writing about music and like metal and rock (and are obviously well rounded if you like Hooker), check out my website, which is in my profile under my avatar.

I have been wondering about the inclusion of the Muse, Linkin Park, and Collective Soul songs - I don't think these songs actually fit the narrative of the story - these songs are there becuase they are part of Stephenie's experience of writing the books - these bands are part of the "soundtrack" that she used when writing.

In fact, Linkin Park is the band that both Bella and Edward had on CD (this is confirmed by Stephenie on her site; she left the name of the band out in case the books took years to publish, as Linkin Park may not have been "hip" by then).
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
daniel.cullen
Settled in Forks

Post by daniel.cullen »

pharmer, I guess, if anything, I'm the new guy, just giving a shout out to one of the few other men on here. I agree about the songs you listed there, especially Linkin Park and Collective Soul . I'm not a big fan of that Collective Soul song, and I think they should have used Linkin Park in the context SM intended. I'll definitely check out your web site soon.