Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
CamD
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight Movie ~Fan reactions

Post by CamD »

Every thing everyone has said i absolutely loved too! I think it was a really great movie and when you think about it all the main secnes and ideas were kept. The most hilarious parts for me weer things that probably shouldn't have been funny.
*joking about bella's death
*death glares from Billy and Jacob to Edward (was i the only one who died of laughter)
*times when edward just completely walked away from bella
such great stuff though. the baseball scene was awesome. When they made all the movements and everytihng at the same time. I especially loved when edward and emmet collided, pretty awesome. When edward and bella were making out i was like whoa then DOUBLE WHOA when she only had her undies on.... tsk tsk but it was good. it seemed so short to me, but my friend was saying how it took more time to read the book than see the movie so thats how it would be. To me worlds in books are different than worlds in real life and i wish that was captured in the movie. It was out of this world because of the vampires, another world/lifestyle/existence can be in personified in movies like Lord of the Ring and Harry Potter so it was hard to connect to the movie like i did the book on that level. I wanted more lines for the rest of the Cullens and Jacob, but i think it will all come in time. I think it did bring it more to a human relatable level with her parents and all her Forks friends with keeping them in the picture(even in the background dancing). It's something not felt in the book, I think. I enjoyed watching it ssooooo much and can't wait for all the other movies to come out!
Masayume
Settled in Forks

Post by Masayume »

My roommate and I had tickets to the midnight showing here the day the tickets became available. We made a nice day out of it and had a blast at the theater with all the other fans. I was really nervous about going, since I know how psychotic some fans can be, especially since the majority are teenagers, but I was sincerely surprised by how generally well behaved my particular theater was. At least, excluding the loud mouths behind us.

As for the movie itself, I have never been so content and happy with a movie adaptation of a book as I am with Twilight. I was wary since I wasn't really thrilled with the casting from the get go, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I ended up liking everyone. When you take into consideration all the limitations that were placed on this movie, especially budget, I think they did a fantastic job. Yea, things were changed around a bit, but they made it work and flow nicely. I still don't think that someone who hasn't read the books would appreciate it as much and it may seem a little rushed, but considering all the stuff they had to get through I think it was really well done.

My favorite scene, hands down, was the baseball scene. It was just so much fun and exactly how I pictured it. The fight and the kiss were just as memorable. And Charlie? Love him. I will have to carry around pepper spray with me at all times now just to giggle. For some reason my roommate and I couldn't stop laughing at Mike shaking his butt outside the window of the diner. That was PRICELESS. Almost made up for him not saying the "did you stab Edward Cullen with a pencil, or what?" quote.

Overall, I really loved it and am looking forward to going and seeing it again soon!
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

JMer711 wrote:USA Today's review http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/rev ... ight_N.htm best matches my opinion of the movie. I was disappointed. It was way too condensed to adequately get a feel for the intensity of the love between Bella and Edward. Most of the time, Bella (Stewart) looked anguished or scared, not in love. I can remember very few times when she actually SMILED. I feel like the added parts (e.g., with Victoria/James/Laurent killing people in the town) unnecessarily took up time that could have (and should have) been used to pace out the movie and show a better progression of the relationship between Bella and Edward. I feel like if I hadn't already read the saga (twice), I would have never grasped their feelings for each other... It just felt too choppy and random to me -- as if they just put the major scenes together without worrying about the glue that held those pieces together.

I read a lot that the screenwriter was trying to change the dialogue so it wouldn't seem as corny, but I definitely thought it ended up being even cornier than had they just left it alone. And Edward's lines didn't do him justice -- in no way did it portray him as the strong, mature, old-soul gentleman that he is. He seemed more like an insecure, pushy, nervous... teenager! You gotta keep in mind -- he is 100 years old! He may look 17, but in reality, emotionally and mentally, he is very intelligent, experienced and confident. When Bella is in the forest telling him her observations of him and says something about how he speaks like he's from another time, I laughed (in fact, most of the theater laughed throughout the movie during parts we all knew were horrible compared to the book), because there was hardly anything in his dialogue throughout the movie to actually support that. In the book, he definitely does speak very much like he's from the turn of the century, but in the movie he didn't at all. Most of the things he said were one-liner-esque, rather than his normal flowery speech.

Had they not messed with Stephenie Meyer's progression and dialogue so much, I feel like it would have been much better. They had certain major scenes in there, sorta, but most of them hardly resembled the original scene in the book. The special effects were somewhat corny, but that's to be expected in a low budget film. I desperately hope that they increase the budget for New Moon and get a new director.

On the positive, the soundtrack was woven in very well, the actors all LOOKED very good (though their acting didn't necessarily impress -- except for Charlie (Billy Burke), who was excellent) and there were a few changed scenes that I thought were cute (the Cullen's cooking for Bella, Edward trying to dance with Bella in his room to Claire de Lune). But, in general, I felt like the only thing that stayed true to the book was the basic plotline -- the way the story was told didn't hold a candle to the way Meyer wrote it. It's like they were calling it the same dish because it had the same ingredients, but it had a completely different flavor.

I reeeeally wanted to like it, and I tried to go in with as low of expectations as I could, because I knew it would never live up to the book. But even overlooking the poor scripting/adaptation, the acting was corny and the progression was just way too fast and piece-y for me.

::Sigh:: Maybe I'd like it a little better if I saw it again and just tried to enjoy it for what it is, rather than comparing it to the book...
I agree! You definitely just about summed up the way I feel about the movie, JMer711. I'm glad I found this because I would've been totally frustrated trying to put how I feel into words. Seriously, everything here is EXACTLY how I feel about the movie, while trying not to be too negative. Thank you!

I also agree about reeeeeally wanting to like it, and trying to have as low expectations as possible.

Love,
*Wanderer* aka Emily
switzgal
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by switzgal »

Yeah I hate the screenwriter!! Too bad she has to write New Moon and Eclipse too. I need to email SM.
Does anybody know how to reach her before this Melissa chick ruins New Moon and Eclipse????

I think with a better script and better understanding of the characters with the direction and actors interpretations NM and EC be better. And bigger budget better HELP!!!
Last edited by switzgal on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
aynot422
Settled in Forks

Post by aynot422 »

About Jacob's dad (played by Billy) and the wheelchair.....
The reason that he needs the wheelchair is because his joints are acting up, as explained in the beginning/middle of twilight however I suppose he could still drive, even though he doesn't in the books.
Erynne
Settled in Forks

Post by Erynne »

I was very pleased with it. I went in with the determination to NOT compare the movie to the book. What's the point? It's like taking a horse and a zebra and trying to compare them and say which one is better. Sure, they're similar, but they AREN'T the same creature.

As a movie, I think it did a great job of showing a romance/thriller of a story. I'm planning on seeing it again tomorrow.

Were there things I didn't enjoy? Well, sure, but nothing's perfect. Heck, not even "Twilight" the novel is perfect.

There were moments where the wire-work was obvious and a little painful to watch, but never so bad I wanted to scream, "PARTY FOUL!!" and point angrily at the screen.

There were a few scenes that felt forced and a little silly, but never so bad that I wanted to roll my eyes and walk out. I've SEEN bad movies, and this wasn't one of those.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and will continue enjoying it. I think the casting was wonderful, the directing was quite well done, and the interpretation of a massive book into a theater-friendly format was done almost flawlessly.

I've no time for anyone who expects or demands perfection. Welcome to life - ain't nothin' perfect here. So get over it. *shrug*

- E
catieolacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by catieolacullen »

I loved it. It was SO cheesy at times, which made it a lot better, I think. I loved how they added in some things, too. They didn't remove anything toooo major. Overall, I think they did a really great job. Because we're a tough fandom to please, ya know? We tend to have high expectations, I think. Must have been a lot of pressure for everyone in the cast and crew etc. Can't wait until New Moon! Me and Rob's favourite! :)
La tua cantante...
HATE SPINNERBAIT!
Is anyone else here a Sarah Dessen fan, also?
DarkMuse
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion
Location: In 'The Corner' of Rob's Halfway House mumbling about cookies and unicorns.

Post by DarkMuse »

I went to a midnight showing with my brother and 2 friends. Only one of them had read the books, and she didn't like the movie. Neither did the other 2. I, on the other hand, had mixed feelings at first. I was just too preoccupied with figuring out what was in the book, what wasn't, what things were changed, and what things were added to fully enjoy the movie. But now that I've had time to overanalyze everthing (as I usually do, lol) I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely LOVE the movie. I can't wait to see it again!

I loved the baseball scene! It definitely needed to be longer though. Jasper with that bat?! Awesomeness. When Edward gets a whiff of Bella in Biology....I lost it. I nearly had to go change my pants I was laughing so hard. When Bella asks Edward about getting contacts and he tries to explain but gets frustraited and he just walks away from her..that was just so hilarious. I love Emmett. Love him. "Well her name is Bella!" LOL. And Jasper's face! OMG it was great. Alice was so awesome. Rosalie was just the right amount of mean. I loved when the Cullens walked into the lunch room for the first time. The whole audience clapped and cheered. Then of course they screamed when Edward came in. Edward in the rain = yummy. I love Charlie even more now. The halo thing was funny. Bella hitting Jacob with the truck door was priceless. Edward sparkled...nuff said. Stephenie's cameo..yay! "Sex. Money. Sex. Money. Money. Cat?" :lol: Oh! And I liked that they all had on their "Cullen Crust..I mean Crest" stuff.

The blood typing should have been in there. It would have shown just how human Bella is, plus it's funny that she can't stand the smell of blood and yet her boyfriend is a vampire. Lol. The love story part shouldn't have been rushed and should have been featured more. Who goes from "oh he's cute, but he hates me, but he sparkles, oh I love him"? It was just too quick. And I'm gonna give it a guess that they only put the piano part with Bella's Lullaby in strictly for the fans. Cause that was just thrown in there like they were passing time or something. It made no sense to anyone who hasn't read the books. And it was one of the only times Esme even says anything in the book, ya know like how she hopes he's not being a show-off? And that he should play for her? How could they cut that out? Not fair. The Cullens should have been featured more. It woulda been funny to see Bella in a Stiletto instead of her sneaker. "Remind me to thank Alice for that". But then it probably woulda hurt Rob's foot when she stood on his feet while dancing. Eh well.

Ok that's enough from me. I'm just glad the movie is finally out. Yay!
Rob's Halfway House Resident » Cullenist » HHBS Member » Monkey Junkie
╰☆╮ Nikki is the TomStu to my Rob ╰☆╮
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

Erynne wrote: ...I've no time for anyone who expects or demands perfection. Welcome to life - ain't nothin' perfect here. So get over it. *shrug*

- E
I'm not demanding perfection here. Just spreading my opinion. That's what this forum is for, right?

Love,
*Wanderer*
andrew19ao
Settled in Forks

Post by andrew19ao »

This is my reaction:

The speical effects were not very good. There was one scene were it just looked like the film was sped up to make it look like Edward was super fast. When Bella and Edward are in the trees I think its obvious they are being held up my strings. This didn't ruin the movie much, and with a bigger budget New Moon and Eclipse could be much better than Twilight was.

My favorite scene was the baseball, that was shot very well, and it was just so cool! All of the action scenes were perfect.

For the first hour, people were laughing all the time because there were just so many funny scenes, like Jasper's consipated look and Edward;s reaction to smelling Bella for the first time, the look on his face was perfect. Its nice to see that they didn't just focus on the romance otherwise I think I a lot of people would have found it boring to watch.

I would have liked to see more with Cullins, especially Alice because she is my favorite in the books, but just wasn't the same in the movie. I want more ALICE.

Overall the movie wasn't boring, it kept my attention, and was even better than I expected. The makers of the Harry Potter movies could learn from Twilight, staying true to the books is good, and this movie did as much as possible in two hours I think.