Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alice's Grandma
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight Movie~Actors' Performances

Post by Alice's Grandma »

Kristen: Some are saying that she lacked emotion, but I noticed that she was very animated in her scenes with Jacob. I don't think it was her acting ability, but more an actor's interpretation of the character. She was very relaxed around Jacob because she only thought of him as a friend. In those scenes she chuckled and smiled, but she's nervous around Edward because she's incredibly attracted to him. I thought she did a great job of portraying a teenager who's attracted to the unobtainable guy and at the same time finds herself in the midst of a world she never knew existed. It becomes more obvious in Eclipse, but Bella acts very differently around Jacob than Edward. I'd like to give Kristen the benefit of the doubt and think that she's already beginning to pave the way for that dichotomy.

Charlie: I dogged Charlie from the moment I opened Twilight until the day I closed Breaking Dawn, BUT I loved Charlie in the movie! He played the divorced, well meaninged, yet awkward father of a seventeen year old, perfectly!
nadiahale123
Settled in Forks

Post by nadiahale123 »

Rob- I thought he was a lot better than I expected. Though, he was on the verge of tears for most of the movie.

Kristen- She looked the part and she was alright. I couldn’t really tell that she was deeply inlove with Edward. But she was okay.

Peter- He was absolutely Carlisle. I didn’t expect much, but he was awesome.

Jackson- He was so adorable! I loved him so much.

Ashley- She was awesome. I loved her. I loved her pitch, and how she tore his head off. Ouch. Ha.

Kellan- Perfectness.

Nikki- She was such a biznitch which was absolutely perfect.

Liz- She was all good.

Erik and Mike- I loved them more than Edward. If I was Bella, I’d totally go to the prom with one of them.

Jessica and Angela- They were great.

Billy Burk- OhMyObama. He was so awesome as Charlie. Without him it wouldn’t be as good.

Taylor- Pure Jacob, pure Hottness.

Did you see the look Billy Black gave Edward. Ha. That made me laugh. I liked him as Billy.

James, Laurent, Victoria- James was sexy, Laurent was my favourite, and Victoria was cool. After seeing how nice the actress was in real life, I couldn’t imagine her as such a crazy evil vampire in the movie. But she was great.
Team Lautner NOT Team Copon!!!

You have to see this trailer spoof. it is Hi-larious! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dompotjTeIA
foreveredward16
Wandering Through Town

Post by foreveredward16 »

awesomejen1 wrote: Kristen (Bella)- Not really surprised. I had low expectations, and those were met. She was pretty monotone and bland through-out the movie, which will work in New Moon, but she just didn't play Bella..she played angsty teenage girl. I really wish they would have cast someone else.
Ok, Everyone definatly may have had a different picture in their minds, and it is always a let down when that character deviates away from your own thoghts of how the portrayal of the character should be done.
But Awesomejen1.... and to all of you who can't quite see Kristen as Bella
I would like to point out, that a lot of Bella's desires for Edward are inward only. The book is from her perspective, and we as readers have more insight into her true feelings and emotions. Yet what she actually Outwardly projects, is much much different than all of her thoughts combined.
Bella is Supposed to be very selfless! She puts everyone around her first, she is supposed to keep quite emotionally detached on the outside, which is another reason Edward is so initialy fascinated by her. Not only can he not read her mind, he can't even read her face. Its supposed to be quite hard to read, blank, confusing to him......
We know how much she desires Edward, but she doesn't really even reveal to Edward how much she desires him until quite late in the book.
If you read Midnight Sun, Edward falls for her so early, when she mentions his name in her sleep... but he doesn't discover her true feelings until he slowly uncovers them in their conversations.
Another thing Kristen Stewart got perfectly was Bella'a plain and obvious akwardness in life in general.
Bella was never destined to be Human. She is far to attracted to all things non-human. We all know she fits in far better in the Vampire world correct?
So to have her stammer over sentences, mummble and everything... it sort of represents the fact that she doesn't feel like she fits in... its almost like she can't truely express herself enough in the human position. So she should be emotionally ambiguous!!!! At least in Twilight!
Lets see what she does with the other movies....

One thing for sure..... Kristen will do a great job of New Moon..... she needs to be Emotionally DEAD!
haha Which we already know she is quite capable of.

Just a few things to think about if your not convinced by Kristen!!!!!

I certainly was!!!!
You are my life now!
'twahy-lahyt'
Lusting for Blood

Post by 'twahy-lahyt' »

Rob Pattinson(Edward): Rob plays the perfect Edward. I felt like he was about to cry a lot though. Anyways the reason I gave him an A was because when I was watching I didn't think of him as Rob *gasp* I know it's amazing because hello it's Rob!!! Anyways let's get back to the point, I didn't see him as Rob while I was watching the movie - I saw him as Edward. He made me believe that he was Edward.

Kstewart(Bella): To me her looks were very much like what I pictured Bella to be, but that way she acted, just didn't suit the Bella in the book. Don't get me wrong, she portrayed Bella well, it's just her emotions and the way she acted to stuff weren't always right.

Peter Facinelli(Carlisle): I think he played a great Carlisle, exactly like I pictured him to look, and the acting was great.

Liz Reaser(Esme): I think she did great, you didn't get to know her like in the book, but what you saw she did good. Same with Carlisle too, I really wished you got to know his past.

Ashley Greene(Alice): she did great as Alice, she looked kind of like what I pictured Alice to look like, but she was a little taller. The acting was good though, very Alice.

Jackson Rathbone(Jasper): He was great I love him more and more each day. The only thing is I wish they would have made him have a little bit more difficulty around humans. But I fell in love with him at the baseball game.

Kellan Lutz(Emmett): I love him as Emmett. He played him really well. Very funny, and to me he looked like Emmet.

Nikki Reed(Rosalie): She pulled off the b*tchy part great. I loved her.

Nomadic Vamps.
Cam(James) - I thought he was perfect. Pulled off the bad a** vampire great.
Rachelle(Victoria) - She was good, truely the perfect Victoria to me. The only thing is I wish her hair was more red. SM described it as looking like fire, and hers just didn't do it for me, but it was wild so that was good.
Edi(Laurent) - he did good too, The whole Old English style of talking threw me a bit, I guess I just wasn't expecting it, but he was good.

All of the humans did well, I don't feel like typing anymore.
Except Christian(Angela) - I guess she did well for what lines they gave her, but she acted nothing like she did in the book, which really made me mad. And I hated that they didn't have Ben. Am I the only one that missed Ben??

Taylor(Jacob) - was great in this movie, I don't know how he'll do in New Moon though.
Billy(Charlie) - was great too, very funny, too funny. I loved his lines and they were great and all, but am I the only one that really remembered the funny stuff Charlie said more than the romance that Edward and Bella were suppose to start forming in this movie??
Gil(Billy) - He was good. Very Billy.

Sarah(Renee) - I loved her. She acted very much like what I pictured Renee to act.

Okay 1 more
Solomon(Sam) - He was okay. He was nothing like I was expecting him to look like.
sparker
Wandering Through Town

Post by sparker »

forveredward16 wrote-But Awesomejen1.... and to all of you who can't quite see Kristen as Bella
I would like to point out, that a lot of Bella's desires for Edward are inward only. The book is from her perspective, and we as readers have more insight into her true feelings and emotions. Yet what she actually Outwardly projects, is much much different than all of her thoughts combined.
Bella is Supposed to be very selfless! She puts everyone around her first, she is supposed to keep quite emotionally detached on the outside, which is another reason Edward is so initialy fascinated by her. Not only can he not read her mind, he can't even read her face. Its supposed to be quite hard to read, blank, confusing to him......
You know what, that entry changed my mind about Kristen's performance. Thanks for your insight foreveredward16! It's true that we are exposed to Bella's inner dialogue in Twilight so now I get it, and she did do a great job. I guess I remember all the hysterical sobbing she did in the book when she was on the run from James and was waiting for her 'combustion' moment that never came.

Jackson- His Jasper was a very 'pained' portrait but I wish we could have seen him use more of his gift. He looks just like the stills of Johnny Depp as Edward Scissorhands.
Pale One
Settled in Forks

Post by Pale One »

:oops: Now I understand why Stephenie Meyer was so reluctant to comment on the casting...especially Bella's character. Most of Kristen's lines were delivered in monotone, with the exception of three or four scenes she was completely devoid of emotion and in Kristen's hands Bella became a non-personality. I hope that before she is cast in future Twilight movies she takes some acting lessons. Robert Pattinson was great as Edward. I never throughout the entire movie ever felt like Bella and Edward were in love. It simply did not come across on the screen. And HELLO? WHERE IS ALICE? Alice played a huge role in the books but was essentially a walk-on in the movie. I love the Twilight books but there is simply too much in the books to try cram it into a 2 hour movie. But you know...they'd probably make a great HBO miniseries.
simonsays
Settled in Forks

Post by simonsays »

rob/edward- OME! sooo hotttttt! i think his accent slipped through in a few lines though..they shouldve just let him do his british accent. i know i wouldve been fine with it :)
kristen/bella- umm what to say...well she basically sucked. there was no emotional connection on her part except in the kissing scene. also has anyone else noticed that she blinks and twitches when she talks wayyyy too much?
kellan/emmett- PERFECT! kellan should keep the dark hair..it looks good on him. also in the book it described emmett with curly hair but i never pitucred hi mlike that. sooo funny when he waved the knife around
ashley/alice- PERFECT also! i really liked her as alice..but i wish she was much shorter.
nikki/rosalie- ehhh i wasnt so sure about her at first but she was ok. she seemed to have a bigger part than alice which isnt right...
jackson/jasper- hes definitely grown on me. theres something about him but i just dont know
peter/ carlisle- veryyyy handsome. great choice! i think he was the only camp they did a good job conveying the paleness on
elizabeth/emse- good looks wise i guess..i cant comment on her performance cause she had like 2 lines
taylor/jake- very nice! he was young and adorable just like jake in twilight. i wish they added more lines for him :/
cam/james- sooo hot even with long hair! good bod too
edi/laurent- not as was in the book but im satisfied with this change. i like the diversity. i liked his "dont play with your food james" (or whatever he actually said :))
rachelle/victoria- nice hair!! but not feline- looking enough. did anyone else notice she was wearing whalen's irish shirt??
billy/charlie- didnt really have a picture of charlie but he had some funny lines
gil/billy- good job on the "im watching you" look hahah! couldnt really gowrong with him though i thought
mike newton- dont know his real name lol but he was great! sooo funny

minor characters: decent jessica but i imagined curlier hair. ooh eric was really funny too! and angela was like a bean pole!and where was ben and lauren?? not that lauren really matters...
cedwardrox
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cedwardrox »

I think Jasper was amazing!!! he barely said anything, but the facial expressions were just amazing. Just that look of pain was great. Another one of my favorite lines: "And that one, the one who looks like he's in pain. That's Jasper." It went something like that. I forget the exact wording, but you all remember what I mean. Right???
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb." (EC)
"What a stupid lamb." (BS)
"What a sick, masochistic lion." (EC)

Team Nessie. NO! Not the Loch Ness Monster!

E<3B (Team Edward)
R<3B (Team Renesmee)
roxyrae
Settled in Forks

Post by roxyrae »

simonsays wrote:kristen/bella- umm what to say...well she basically sucked. there was no emotional connection on her part except in the kissing scene. also has anyone else noticed that she blinks and twitches when she talks wayyyy too much?
Yes I did notice that as well! Especially in the hospital scene, I was laughing rather then crying (I cried at that part in the novel). I didn't get the twitching so much but she blinked like a million times per second in a few of the scenes where Bella should have been more so emotional (as in crying!) The performance was emotionally detached and monotone, Bella is not emotionally dead in Twilight, in New Moon after the months of being crushed yes she is but not until then. I don't really get the selfless vibe from the acting, truthfully I think it is because Kristen didn't read the book and is use to playing a more so strong roll rather then somewhat soft. Yes Bella is a strong female but she is also vulnerable. Not saying that Kristen is a horrible actress because I have enjoyed her in other movies but I just don't see her as the right fit (even though she does have the Bella looks, she just does not portray the Bella personality in the movie).

Now for some other characters: I loved Charlie, the actor was totally not how I imagined him (I saw him with a beer belly and balding which the actor is not) but the ackwardness was perfect! He acted totally the way the charlie in my mind does, I loved his father/daughter scenes!

Jasper: I had mixed feelings for Jasper, it truely looked like he had a stick shoved up his...you know. I guess this works for Jasper because he is very on edge the whole time as he still desires human blood. Over all it is mixed, although my feelings might not be towards the actor as much as the character because I didn't particularly like him in the book. On the plus side he was really hot!

Mike: I totally fell in love with Mike! He was hillarious, totally what I pictured but much funnier. I didn't like Mike in the books but the actor totally changed my mind!

Victoria: I enjoyed the portrayl of Victoria as well. Her hair was not as red as I imagined but the performance was very good!
Chadley
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Chadley »

Kristen: I thought she was better than how I expected, but still different than how I picture Bella. In my opinion, she seemed to lack a bit of emotion and maybe even seemed very bland, but I think she did the best she could.

Robert: Since the beginning, I haven't been a fan of him as Edward, but he was definitely better than anything I imagined. To me, he protrayed Edward MUCH differently than how I picture or think of him as, but he still pulled off a new spin on the character. And the accent...amazing. :D

Peter: Erm...can I say wow? I think the theatre, as a whole, slightly gasped when he strolled in through the hospital doors. Me, an avid Carlisle fan, sat there completely in awe. His voice was perfect for the character and sounded so soothing and almost hypnotic.

Jackson: Every single time he came on screen, I resisted the urge to laugh hysterically. In my mind, I never pictured Jasper so 'in pain' as they worded it, but I thought the new look was hilarious! He was so much better than I expected.

Kellan: I thought he pulled off Emmett's personality perfectly. He had the right amount of goofiness and protectiveness and it was all flawlessly balanced.

Ashley: I thought she was the perfect Alice they could of had. Her voice was also amazing for the role! And one thing that, for me, almost completely made the ballet scene was when she had Bella's blood on her hand and was smelling it. I thought the look of the scene was awesome!

Nikki: I kind of thought she could have been a more bitter Rosalie. In my mind, I always saw Rosalie with this ice cold stare and, to me, Nikki didn't really have that.