Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
maybeshescrazy
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I liked it!

Post by maybeshescrazy »

I've been looking forward to this for about two months, and so I went to see it today at the first showing. I was really stoked for it, even though I was pretty sure that I would be disappointed.
I wasn't. It was worth every penny, I would have paid double even. The whole time I sat there thinking "this is really good, what were all those negative reviews about?"

First off, the music was completely amazing. I first heard Bella's lullaby about a month ago and was mildly disappointed, but that's not to say that it wasn't pretty in its own way. I hadn't heard the rest of the soundtrack, and throughout the movie I was impressed with the editing in, as well as the composing itself - there was a good balance of incidental music as well as songs.
I also have to say that the trailers and clips given beforehand simply don't do the movie justice. Some bits were edited/changed (for the better) and in others the fact that you could properly hear and see it in good quality made it so much better.
I was expecting Kristen to be a little stiff in her acting, but that preconception soon went away - she was the perfect Bella. There was enough clumsiness and awkwardness, and I also liked the fact that she did voice-overs on parts that were inside her head in the book - especially the prologue, and reprise.
I went in thinking Robert Pattinson was hot. I came out with a crush the size of a planet on him. I totally forgive Catherine Hardwicke for over-doing the close-ups. Very effective. At the beginning he played Edward a little differently to how I was expecting - perhaps to do with the script - but again, I wasn't disappointed. He soon merged into the Edward I knew - maybe this is only because I've read Eclipse multiple times and am more used to the more developed character of Edward, rather than the weird who-is-this-gorgeous-guy at the beginning.
The chemistry between the two is amazing, I've never seen anything like it. I found all of their acting really believable, Robert played Edward especially well at both extremes, the incredibly happy, joking Edward with the sunglasses, and the tormented Edward as Bella asks him to change her. I especially liked the line "you're in here because of me" - very Edward and New Moon-esque.
There were some great bits in I was really pleased about from a book-reader's perspective. The looks between Edward and Carlisle, when you knew Carlisle was telling him something was one example, as was some of the smaller things - Alice and Jasper holding hands, James putting his arm around Victoria etc. There were some cool sequences (although two of the friends I went with didn't like them), such as when she figures out he's a vampire, and the whole "let's not play with our food" bit.
I didn't see what the problem was with the directing/editing. The section in the woods made me feel dizzy, but that was all. In the book his sparkling is described as looking like his skin was covered in diamonds, and I thought it looked exactly like that - they couldn't have done any more without it looking fake.
All of the other acting was brilliant. Although I thought the only bad bit was when Bella was leaving, Charlie soon had me in tears, which made up for Kristen's temporary bad acting.
I also really enjoyed the humour in it - there was a really good balance. Not corny, but it made it light-hearted in the right places.
I know I've forgotten a lot, so when I remember it I'll come back to say. I'm still kind of in shock, and I'm going back to see it again as soon as possible.
Fanpire
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Fanpire »

I saw i today!!!!!!!YAY!
Omg I'm still hyper....after the movie I started jumping on the street in front of my friends and telling them how I love Emmett and how hot Jasper was :lol: Anyways...the movie was AH-mazing :D It was different from the book......but I still loved it...it was hawt :lol:
TwilightTasha
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightTasha »

I WENT TO SEE IT LAST NIGHT!
It was unbelivbly, amazing.
I just can't coprhend in words, what that film was like! :D
thewall28304
Settled in Forks

Post by thewall28304 »

I've seen the movie a record seven times now and each time it's gotten better with every viewing. I can't wait for this to come out on dvd. I know the behind the scenes features will be great as well as commentary from director Catherine Hadwicke. She did a fantatic job adapting the first book and I can honestly say it remained faithful to the book,despite some minor changes or scenes we wanted to see from the book. I loved how "Bella's Lulliby" was used as the film's theme throughout and it worked perfectly once you see the movie,rather than just hearing the piece on the soundtrack. The chemistry between Rob and Kristen was blazing to say the least and I sat there thinking-"Hey tone it down or we won't have anything left for Breaking Dawn".(laughs) Speaking of Breaking Dawn I enjoyed Rosalie the most in this movie,because I couldn't help but think how the audience will see the twist her character takes in the next three movies. Overall a great movie and worth seeing more than once. A definite thumbs up for me after each viewing.
Tinkerbell 31
Wandering Through Town

Post by Tinkerbell 31 »

i've seen it now 4 times and i loved it all 4 times i saw it my boyfriend the first time and he cried :)
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by Lunna-san »

Well, I just went to see the movie today with a friend who never read the books. She loved it. Personally, I think the movie was okay... I like it better this time, than when I watched by the internet. Maybe because I spend a lot of time comparing with the book and grumblind because of the parts they changed, the scene of the meadow, that in the context it was okay and made sense, but for me, who read the books, it was the biggest flaw.

A huge contrast with the baseball scene - my favrorite. I like the Cullens. They weren't so beautiful, but they looked different, so I think it was okay.

I didn't understand why bella didn't cook for Charlie there. It's one of the best things about their relationship.

I won't go far and say that I loved it. Because the movie has some flaws. But the book is very personal, so it's a good representation of the story. Buy it didn't show all the magic, all the obsession and the need Edward and Bella feel about each other. But it shows a bit of the complexity of their drama. bloodlust vs love. So, I think it's okay.
paulsbeyach
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by paulsbeyach »

I LOVE LOVE LOVED the movie!!!! Rob was soooo great as Edward!!!

ok guys, want to see Twilight RIGHT NOW?? Go here http://www.watch-movies.net/ and search Twilight and you can watch the whole movie on your computer!!!
Edward can give me a Unicorn ANYTIME!!
Team Edward: Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
Wide Awake Addict!!!!
Cullenist
crazytan786
Settled in Forks

Post by crazytan786 »

I saw it last night with a bunch of friends, and I have to say... *cue deep voice* I was not disappointed.

I thought that the film did have some minor flaws. For instance, there were plenty of unintentionally funny moments in the film and that kind of ruined the moment. (Edward smelling Bella - I defy anyone who said they did not crack up at all during that bit!) The special effects were sort of lame, but they weren't that terrible. Just cheesy. The make-up was overdone on Robert, and you could see his coloured contacts (how ironic that bit when he denied wearing any! LOL). The only slightly major negative thing about this movie was that the acting was slightly annoying at times. Robert was OOT on the intense im-trying-to-read-you thing (I admit, it does make sense though) and Kristen was a bit too awkward on some moments. Overall the acting was good, it wasn't bad. Oh, and they had a completely different picture as to what I thought the Cullen's house was like, it was meant to be white! But that doesn't affect the story too much so I'll just shut up about that! :D

Now - THE GOOD BITS! The baseball scene just speaks for itself. The pacing, the way the story was unravelled. And the cool gothic bit where Bella finds out what Edward was - that was well cool! The action bit was good too, and the big CRACK at the end with James gave me shivers. The treetops bit was ok, just the "spidermonkey" thing was just W.T.H. (I don't get that. So weird! Why would anyone be called "spidermonkey"? In what way does Bella resemble a spider or a monkey?! Urgh.) Anyway, I thought the whole abstinence thing going on was really good, the actors handled that perfectly and the bedroom scene had struck just the right note.

Overall, I liked the film, it wasn't that amazing, but it remained true to the book and gave it justice. So looking forward to New Moon! :)

4/5
♥♥ Βў τнє αẃєѕомє ЈS ♥♥
xtinasaurusrex
Settled in Forks

Post by xtinasaurusrex »

I loved it! But I did see the movie before I read the books so I had no expectations... I wonder if my reaction would have been the same if it was the other way around.
Aus_Twilight_Fan
Settled in Forks

Post by Aus_Twilight_Fan »

i have just returned from seeing Twilight for the first time and i loved it. the only thing that dissapointed me was Edward sparkling it wasn't that sparkly. all the actors did a great job and i can't wait for new moon
Signature made by me. Avatar by AngelAtTwilight