Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Twilight the Movie ~ I liked it!

Post by Nena »

Give us your constructive review of the movie. This is not a discussion thread, it's a review thread. Please be respectful of other's opinions.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I liked it!

Post by oleander »

I've seen it twice now and am itching to go a third, fourth, fifth time. I really liked it. It was far from perfect, but who is???

I went into the movie with the steel resolve to view it as an adaptation and not take it as gospel which really helped, otherwise I would end up like the girls sitting behind me the second night and spend the entire time picking it apart. I thought it was a fair adaptation. The additions were great, bringing in the nomads earlier in the story worked swimmingly well; the biology field trip was great; I can even forgive them for not mentioning Bella's lullaby...

...however, as much as I loved the scene in the forest (which was supposed to be the meadow), I missed the intensity, tension and the sweetness of the meadow scene from the book. Don't get me wrong, the scene they did in its stead was great and it caused some swooning in the audience, but I felt cheated. The meadow is the pinnacle scene for the entire series.

Although there were some pretty cheesy moments and you could really feel the low budget constraints, I was fully able to look past them because Rob played MY Edward to a T. MY Edward, the one who lives in my head when I read the books, is angsty, manic-depressive and tormented. Rob was everything I hoped for (even though I haven't reconciled that he doesn't look like MY Edward) and so much more. The first biology class scene was PRICELESS! The rare moments of levity were brilliant (baseball game, 'spider monkey').

Kristen did okay with Bella. Some critics said she was too wooden, but Bella is kind of a no-nonsense girl who thinks a lot. I have no complaints when it comes to her performance.

The Cullens needed to be in the movie a lot more, but really, they weren't in the first book all that much either. I adored Jasper's quiet Edward Scissorhands-esque bit at the Cullen home, and loved when he finally opened up at the baseball game.

Bella's friends were FANTASTIC! What a great secondary cast. Jessica was spot-on.

Really though, it was Charlie who surprised me. Billy Burke did an amazing job of being the uncomfortable, loving father. I can't wait to see more of him in future movies. I have a whole new respect for Charlie.

Can I just say that the kiss was probably one of the hottest moments i've seen on film in a long time. Both nights I saw it the audience simultaneously inhaled as it began, held their breath through it, and heaved a collective swoon when it ended. The first night people cheered and clapped.

Being a 30-something in a sea of screaming tweens was an experience i won't soon forget, nor will Twilight be a movie i'll soon forget. Great job by everyone involved. Bring on New Moon!!!!
Apparition
Settled in Forks

Post by Apparition »

Since this is the positive thread I will try and be positive.

Billy Burke as Charlie was great, hell most of the cast was good with few exceptions.

I also liked the Sparkle effect which I was worried about, and I felt they pulled it off well.
NessieFan
Wandering Through Town

Post by NessieFan »

I loved this movie as I've posted on other threads. Cathrine made this an adaption of a book that clung to the book marteiral and yet held on lose enough to establish different ways for info to be found out for the people who hadn't read the books.

The cast was Stunning. I loved everyones performances so much so that I forgot they were actors and actresses and began believing they were their characters.

This movie gets a 10/10 from me. Can't wait for New Moon.
From this moment on your story starts now, all that came before is prelude. Write the ending as you see it and live it, not as how the fates decide it.

Hey There Elizah
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Hey There Elizah »

I was very impressed with the movie. While it was a little choppy in some areas the voice overs by Bella (which I was so excited when I heard they were all from the book) moved things along pretty smoothly. I LOVED the baseball scene. Jasper was so hot, I think I may have started drooling. lol. I wish that the hotel scene would have been extended some. I was hoping to see her get closer to Alice. Charlie was great. I was cracking up on a lot of his scenes. And I almost wanted to cry for him when Bella left. And Carlisle was great. He was definitely the Carlisle I pictured in my head, along with Alice and Emmett. Rosalie wasn't as pretty as I'd imagined but she did a good job with the attitude.

Overall I was happy. My mom hadn't read the book so she was confused. I spent 2 hours after the movie trying to explain things too her. :lol:

If that's what they can do with $30 million, I can't wait to see what they do with more!
I've been Jazzled! Vampire Baseball is sexy! Randomness Regular! <3
Pvt. Elizah Loveless of Jasper's Confederate Army - Stainless Claret!
Wrecking Ball Operator @ EDC, Inc.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I went to see the movie without high expectations. I feared it would be the umpteenth teen dark comedy but, luckily enough, the film surprised me.
The screenplay is very good: probably not the best adaptation possible but definitely an extremely good one, though sometimes a bit factitious for the people who didn't read the book. The essence of the book is preserved notwithstanding some differences in the plot or in the sequence of the topic conversations between Edward and Bella.
The actors are amazing, almost all of them, and the sexual tension between the two main characters perfectly rendered on the screen. The minor characters are perfect as well and the additions to the book in respect to their characteristics absolutely in line with the atmosphere of the book.
The two hours flow quickly, without sticking points. The movie is definitely a teen comedy but enjoyable also from an adult audience. I found only two minor flaws, understandable if one thinks of the limited budget. One minor flaw is the fact that the dialogues between Edward and Bella seem a bit disjointed in the first part of the movie. The other one regards the special effects: they can be improved, and I hope they will be improved in New Moon.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

mamaluvsedward
Settled in Forks

Post by mamaluvsedward »

I loved it, period. It was the most fun movie experience I've ever had!! The crowd of 550 people were equally thrilled to be there and we all cheered and laughed and clapped throughout the movie. You could just feel the excitement all around you.

I felt like I'd literally met the characters in the book after the movie. Just like the books, this was a first for me to feel like I was right there with them, sitting in the classroom or watching them at the prom, etc.

I can't wait for New Moon!! :D :D :D
twibrarian
Settled in Forks

Post by twibrarian »

CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE. i thought it was as faithful to the book as it could be within the time constraints of a film. the things they changed or added weren't totally ridiculous. i was on a whole very satisfied with the adaptation. I only have 3 complaints: 1. they didn't discuss jasper's gift of sensing and regulating moods, 2. the sparkling wasn't as impressive as i imagined in the book (i imagined edward in the meadow like a diamond from head to toe, in the movie it looks more like glitter, but oh well), and 3. there wasn't enough jacob (i realize he's a minor character in the first book but i really liked him and wanted to see more of him. i hope for tayler lautner's sake they make a second movie, because he didn't really get to shine so much in this movie). surprises: charlie and billy were hilarious! and the foreshadowing with victoria at the end was interesting. all and all an enjoyable night at the theatre for me. well done cast and crew of twilight
J<3B
ForeverTopaz17
Settled in Forks

Post by ForeverTopaz17 »

There are so many things I loved about this movie, but I'll only mention a few.

I really enjoyed the non-book scenes. I had a huge grin on my face in the end when Edward and Jacob were sneering at each other. And Mike Newton had me cracking up when he was shaking it outside the diner.

Bella's lullaby was beautiful.

And Kellan Lutz nailed Emmett!
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

I've seen it twice... I think that would classify me as I liked it. Actually I really, really liked it.

There are things I loved, but I can't say I LOVED it. I know I will see it again, so I give it a thumbs up!
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!