Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BellaSwan1234
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I liked it!

Post by BellaSwan1234 »

i luved it too i thought the sparkle scene wuz kinda cheesy but other then tht i luved it i luved the first kiss and prom scene i liked bellas dress lol cant wait to c nm

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Jackie
Settled in Forks

Hi, I'm Jackie and have a question about Twilight

Post by Jackie »

Hi everyone. I'm Jackie and recently became a Twilight fan. I saw the Twilight film when I saw New Moon (I love that the theater showed both) and have a question about the Twilight film. As Bella is dying in the dance studio, Edward says something in a language that is not English. Can anyone translate this for me? I've searched the internet unsuccessfully and would really appreciate it if someone could let me know what he's saying. Thank you.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Hi, I'm Jackie and have a question about Twilight

Post by ringswraith »

Jackie wrote:Hi everyone. I'm Jackie and recently became a Twilight fan. I saw the Twilight film when I saw New Moon (I love that the theater showed both) and have a question about the Twilight film. As Bella is dying in the dance studio, Edward says something in a language that is not English. Can anyone translate this for me? I've searched the internet unsuccessfully and would really appreciate it if someone could let me know what he's saying. Thank you.
Hello Jackie, and welcome to the forums. :)

Could you be a bit more specific as to which point in the ballet studio scene the line you're referring to is? I just watched it again and saw nothing that indicates Edward spoke anything other than English there.

Starting from where Carlisle convinces Edward to go to Bella, his lines are:

"It's the venom."

"No. No!"

"It doesn't have to be that way."

"Carlisle- what's my other option?"

"Carlisle!"

"You know I won't be able to stop."

"I'm gonna make you go away Bella. I'm gonna make you go away." (I'm not sure if he's saying "you" or "it" in these lines.)
Jackie
Settled in Forks

Post by Jackie »

Thank you for your reply. This is too embarrassing :-) I thought he was speaking a different language in part of that conversation; I guess I need a hearing aid. Thanks very much for your help!
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Nothing to be embarrassed about! :)
pinkmoon
Settled in Forks

Re: Hi, I'm Jackie and have a question about Twilight

Post by pinkmoon »

ringswraith wrote:
"I'm gonna make you go away Bella. I'm gonna make you go away." (I'm not sure if he's saying "you" or "it" in these lines.)[/color]
He's saying "it" not "you". Just watched it last night...for the third time in 2 weeks? Yes...i have a problem...
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I liked it but I did see the movie first before I read the book. Not by choice. The two lines I didn't like where "my monkey man" by Rosealie and when Edward tells Bella "better hold on tight spider monkey".
Banner by TammyAZ
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

This may or not be the right spot for this, but Twilight is showing on Showtime this week. It's pretty much on every day this week and probably in the next month. If you didn't buy the DVD, this is a great opportunity to DVR it. I don't love the movie enough to buy the DVD (same goes for NM), but this is a great time to catch it.

Sweetpea, it seems that a lot of people have issue with those lines. I'm mainly bummed that the meadow scene was totally taken out of context and so extremely different from the book. What should have been a sweet and romantic turning point in the relationship became a result of anger and frustration.
Drunkster
Settled in Forks

Post by Drunkster »

Basicly all has been said so I will just write me review: 9/10 (10 max)
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

While my take on the film isn't 100% positive, I found quite a bit more to like than dislike in it. As seeing the movie was my first step into the world of the Twilight Saga, and was what drew me to explore the Saga further, I'd have a hard time not giving it an overall positive review. Nevertheless, I'm going to start with what I found fault with in the film.

The big problem I have with the film, now that I've read the first two books, is that it has an underdeveloped, undernourished feel to it. As others have commented, the development of the Bella/Edward romance has just a bit of a rushed feel to it; a little more screen time spent on that might have paid large dividends. I also think that the relationship between Bella and Alice should have been developed more thoroughly; the Phoenix hotel scenes would have been the ideal spot for this. Alice's speech "do you think any of us want to look into [Edward's] eyes for the next hundred years" definitely belonged onscreen, and Jasper's "you are worth it" could have been worked in as well. I can also think of a few other ways in which very small additions--the deleted "she's brought him to life" scene between Carlisle and Esme, the other Cullens burning up the dance floor at the prom--could have enriched the narrative quite a bit. Any of these elements would have been much better use of running time than James playing with his food.

However, I found a great deal to like in Twilight. In order of importance, I'd point to:

1) Bella and Edward. I thought that both Kristen Steward and Robert Pattinson did very credible jobs. I know that not everyone is a fan of Stewart's Bella, but I thought she did very well at giving us a believable screen character, and that she and Pattinson had good chemistry onscreen. Pattinson excelled at bringing out Edward's "I am damned" persona which is so central to his character, at least in the first half of the saga.

2) The Cullens. Casting of the Cullen-Hale clan was always going to be problematic--it would probably have been impossible to come up with a cast that matched Stephanie Meyer's physical descriptions of the clan. Emmett and Rosalie, especially, would pose problems. The list of young, convincing actors who have the approximate dimensions of an NFL tight end is zero at this time, as far as I know; as for Rosalie, I can only think off the top of my head of one actress ever who could measure up to the picture of unearthly beauty that Meyer gives us (if you're curious, it's Grace Kelly).

That being the case, the casting department did well to find performers who could get the characters right. Ashley Greene, as I've mentioned in another thread, was outstanding as Alice. She clearly has the character nailed down, and she did a wonderful job of conveying it despite not having much dialogue. Peter Facinelli, although ill-served by the make-up department, is likewise spot-on in his portrayal of Carlisle. I know that Nikki Reed's casting as Rosalie is a bit controversial, but I thought she did a nice job--her glare at Bella in the baseball scene conveyed a lot in just a couple of seconds. And Kellan Lutz, while not quite the behemoth Emmett of the books, has a very solid physical presence that is appropriate to the character. Unfortunately, Elizabeth Reaser as Esme and Jackson Rathbone as Jasper were given little chance to shine; the two of them might have been ciphers, were it not for:

3) The Baseball Scene. Many people's favorite scene in the movie, this is a textbook illustration of why the First Commandment of Filmmaking is "Show, don't tell." In 2-3 minutes (prior to the nomads entering the scene), we not only get an innovative action sequence, but we learn a lot about the characters involved in the scene as well, and we get a real sense that the Cullens are a family.

4) The Opening Scenes in Forks.
When I watched the film again tonight I was impressed with how these scenes gave the whole story a "this is happening in the real world" foundation. The "ordinary" population of Forks is never going to be the focal point of the story, with the partial exception of Charlie, but it's important to establish them as a believable backdrop to the story. Two performances, I thought, stood out--Billy Burke as Charlie, loving but a bit inarticulate at times, and Anna Kendrick as Jessica, nicely conveying the mix of friendship and rivalry she feels towards Bella.

Edit to add:

5) Carter Burwell's Score. Burwell is, for my money, one of the best film composers working right now; he's done some wonderful scores for the Coen Brothers. He provides another fine one here. There's lot's of music filled with ominous overtones, which is very appropriate, but he also lends a more lyrical mood when it's appropriate.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing