Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I can't find the comment someone made regarding Edwards wardrobe. Yes he is suppose to be very stylish but everyone needs to remember their budget for this film. Can you imagine if they spent the money on the clothes for the actors what they would have left.
Banner by TammyAZ
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

I just finished my second reading of Twilight, so now I know that Edward WAS able to stop sucking after sucking out the venom from Bella's arm. He didn't keep sucking her blood. He is so noble, of course!

BUT - in the movie - Carlisle has to stop him - He says, "Edward, you're killing her!"

I am SO mad that was put in the movie!!!! It weakens Edward's love for Bella. It didn't happen!!!

I'm sure you've all talked about this before, but anyone in agreement with me on this????
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie wrote:I just finished my second reading of Twilight, so now I know that Edward WAS able to stop sucking after sucking out the venom from Bella's arm. He didn't keep sucking her blood. He is so noble, of course!

BUT - in the movie - Carlisle has to stop him - He says, "Edward, you're killing her!"

I am SO mad that was put in the movie!!!! It weakens Edward's love for Bella. It didn't happen!!!

I'm sure you've all talked about this before, but anyone in agreement with me on this????
Susie~ Well, I suppose I should preface my comments by saying that, IMO, this was one of the more forgiveable blunders committed by that idiot Melissa Rosenberg. Hmmm, I will say that I noticed this right away, with my first viewing. But, it never truly bothered me. In the novel, we know that Bella is in and out of consciousness at this point, lost between the pain and all her other injuries. In my head, this was something that could have happened outside the range of her hearing or her consciousness. Also, I didn't see it as Carlisle stopping him. I saw it more as Carlisle grounding him, holding him to the humanity and the love that keeps him from fully giving in to the feral side of his nature. In my mind, it's similar to the passage in Dark High Noon directly after Bella is attacked in Port Angeles. Edward is almost lost to his need to exact revenge against the men who tried to hurt Bella. But, with a few compassionate words, Carlisle centers him, brings him back to what is important to him. In the case of the film, I can see it happening similarly. Carlisle would be aware that, in the fog of the bloodlust, his words would have to be...decisive...reminding Edward of the worst case scenario. So, that small interaction never really snapped my teeth together. Not as much as a few others, at least.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Caryn - Thanks for commenting! I think what bugs me is in the film, it is the only time Robward really looks like a MONSTER- it is actually quite creepy. I don't like to watch his face then!!! Apparently CH wanted to remind us that Edward is still a monster - that the conflict of their relationship still exists. In the book, there is emphasis that he was strong enough to stop. There's no hint to anything of the contrary, but of course Kristen doesn't remember. By the way, I love the hospital scene. Even though we are assured of their love for each other, we are left feeling very much unsettled about their future....
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie~ Ahh, and there you have the point of it, I think. In that moment, it's almost a view of Edward through his own eyes. In that moment, no matter his intentions, he is the monster he always sees himself as. It is, I think, why Rob plays that scene the way he does. Rob is so stuck in Edward's head that he sees that scene the way Edward would; as one of so many moments of battle between the monster and the man.

One of the few things I truly hate about Twilight is the marketing campaign for it. You and I have a...somewhat biased.... ;) view of Rob in that we both find him inherently beautiful. But, if you look at the images of him used in the Twilight campaign, ie on the movie-related book covers, the soundtrack disc covers, the cards, all of it, it is specifically staged, lit and otherwise manipulated to make him look dangerous, I think. In a way, that makes sense. As outsiders, we would not have the idealized vision of Edward that Bella has. But, we also know that all vampires are beautiful by design in order to lure their prey. So, why you would use the dangerous and scary images just is beyond me. Besides which, I think intentionally trying to make Rob anything other than utterly heartstoppingly beautiful is just a crime.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Jazz Girl wrote:Susie~ But, we also know that all vampires are beautiful by design in order to lure their prey. So, why you would use the dangerous and scary images just is beyond me. Besides which, I think intentionally trying to make Rob anything other than utterly heartstoppingly beautiful is just a crime.
Caryn - I agree - Robward definitely isn't as handsome as Rob, and he should be to fit the character!!! Maybe it is because Summit doubted that non-readers would "get" the monster within.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

HI Susie and Caryn. Here is my take on it. I saw Twilight first before I read the book. Not by choice since I bought the book in 2006 but didn't get to read it till later. I had my babies back to back so I didn't get a chance to read it right away like I wanted to. My mom was staying with me since she was helping me with the my second baby she wanted to watch Twilight. I like it even though some fans where disappointed.But again I still have not read the book. I then read it and I still like it. Even though I have watched it more times than I can count I try to not look at it so deeply so it doesn't get ruined. My friend points out things that didn't match up with the book in both movies and I tell her I embraced it for what it was. I don't think any movie has been done perfectly. I don't think some of the people who work on the film take it seriously however there is nothing I can do about it. I still enjoy it over NM even though NM was done better. We all know the reason for that though don't we girls. :lol:
Banner by TammyAZ
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Desiree- Yes we know why we don't like NM! I'm not even looking forward to re-reading the book, but I must because I have vowed to go through the whole Saga for the 2nd time. I just finished Twilight, so I must do NM. After I'm done with my second reading, I won't be such a purist - I will just read the books I want to - Twilight, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn- if I have the energy!
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Susie wrote:I think what bugs me is in the film, it is the only time Robward really looks like a MONSTER- it is actually quite creepy. I don't like to watch his face then!!! Apparently CH wanted to remind us that Edward is still a monster - that the conflict of their relationship still exists. In the book, there is emphasis that he was strong enough to stop. There's no hint to anything of the contrary, but of course Kristen doesn't remember.
Hey Susie! Sorry but I have to disagree with this part. When watching this scene, I didn't see Edward as a monster at all. I actually thought it was incredibly amazing, the way he holds onto her arm sucking her blood...the look in his eyes...he needs her, he wants her, he has her. I think that whole part is actually quite hot :oops: :lol: Even tho it is implied that if Carlisle wasn't there, he would not have stopped and he would have killed her, I don't think so.

I dunno, I just thought that part was really good! :lol:
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Jaclyn - We can agree to disagree! I just watched it again and could be swayed in your direction a bit - perhaps the frenzied look on his face is his panic that he is going to lose her....

Last night I watched the special features and CH said they filmed that scene towards the beginning, because of the the James character actor's schedule. I was thinking it might have looked a little different if it had been filmed at the end after Rob had spent more time in the role and done that scene last. Given the response here, I won't say "better", I'll just say "different". CH said it was challenging for the actors to do this dramatic scene without having built up their characters yet. THOUGHTS?