Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
StarLitNight
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight the Movie ~ I didn't like it

Post by StarLitNight »

dazzlingdynamite wrote:They also need to follow the order that things went, people don't really just fall in love like that, especially not when one wants to drink the others blood...I think from there everyone who hadn't read the series was confused.
I defiantly agree. It was almost embarrassing, because my friends who saw the movie but who hadn't read the books saw the movie, and how Edward and Bella in the movie basically fell in love with each other without really knowing each other and they were like, "Wow, that's really shallow... Some books you read there..." and I would tell them that it's not like that in the book, and how they actually get to know each other in the book. And that's one of the main things that bothers me about the movie.
jessi_shelly
Settled in Forks

Post by jessi_shelly »

freeml wrote:... I thought Edward was supposed to find the strength to stop sucking out Bella's blood on his own, not in response to Carlisle saying he was killing her.
spidersilk wrote:... I also hated the end of the ballet studio scene, when Edward was sucking the venom out of Bella. In the book he stops and that's important, because that meant his love for Bella was stronger than his lust for her blood. Sure, making him not stop is interesting, but completely cheapens the love between them (despite that lack of said love in the movie)
I was pretty much on the fence while watching most of the movie. It was feeling pretty ho-hum, but not terrible, until that scene. That change was entirely unjust. I think spidersilk hit the nail on the head, there.
I could understand most of the other changes made in the interest of time (like the poor, neglected meadow scene - important but very difficult to fit properly into such a short movie), but in that case the scene was completely kept! I see no reason why they had to completely mutilate its significance. In it's original form (as it is in the book), I thought pulling out the venom tainted blood, and nothing more, was Edward's truest act of love - certainly in Twilight, and possibly in the entire series.
fafou32457
Settled in Forks

Post by fafou32457 »

i didnt like the movie either [believe me it had nothing to do with the actors or their acting...they were GREAT and SEXXY..and OH-SO BEAUTIFUL.. especially jacob, jasper, james, carlisle, emmet, and *sigh* edward] but the more i saw the movie the more i liked it. one of the reasons i hated it was beacause they condensed it so much and they made it seem like bella and edward fell in love in a couple of days instead of a couple of months. i really wouldnt mind spending 3 hours in the movie theater watching twilight..HONESTLY I WOULDNT..but i know most people would have a problem with that. but the more i watched the movie again and again the more i saw details that i missed.

when i first saw twilight i hated it..i went with a group of friends and the ones that read the book didnt like the movie and the ones that didnt read the book liked the movie.

in mean yea the director did make it go by too fast and she did a lot of other things that none of us didnt liked but i mean who would possibly be able to incorporate that whole story into a movie.

but when you watch the movie more than once some things become more clear.like they did made it seem as if bella and edward fell in love in a couple of days rather than months and that bothered me at first but when i watched it again i saw the scene where edward and bella kissed. bella asked edward how'd he get in here and she said something and he said i've been doing it for the past couple of months and there is the proof that even though the movie didnt show that...edward said it.
XoXo---> FaFoU*D.H.T.F*
StarLitNight
Settled in Forks

Post by StarLitNight »

fafou32457 wrote: i really wouldnt mind spending 3 hours in the movie theater watching twilight..HONESTLY I WOULDNT..but i know most people would have a problem with that.
Honestly, I think that real Twilight fans wouldn't mind sitting in the movie theater for three hours if they movie was good and followed the book well. I know I would! This movie was very underestimated, and a lot of people (including many of the film makers) didn't expect many people to see it, let alone sit in the theater for more than two hours. I think that now that they have their audience, however, they will be able to make the next movies longer. People are going to keep seeing these movies, no matter if they liked the first one or not, either because they've read the book and they want to see it brought to life (like I do), see if the next ones are better, or they haven't read the books yet and they want to see what happens next in the saga. I think New Moon will be a lot better because they will be able to expand the time limit on the movie.
ashory
Settled in Forks

Post by ashory »

Well, to be honest, the issues that I have with the movie are not related to length or the actors (who, btw, did great with what they were given) or any nit-picking about the effects. My biggest problem is this:

Some of the changes that were made actually altered the internal makeup and personality of the characters.

For instance, in Bella's case, we see her tapping away on a new laptop. We see her listening to an iPod. She is constantly chatting on a cell phone to her mom. We see Bella and Charlie eating out all the time instead of Bella cooking. etc. etc.

WHY were these things put into the movie? In an effort to make it more accessible to a target audience of tweens? I think it's a fairly high price to pay, because all of the qualities that give the characters depth and make them endearing were either changed or completely left out.

I do agree, however, with the comments about pacing and sense of time. You really did feel as though all of the events took place over the span of a week instead of months. There was not enough "meat" to the actual love story.

I just felt like the characters and the story portrayed in the movie were shallow and juvenile. They didn't do Stephenie Meyer's creation any justice.
dandelion337
Settled in Forks

Post by dandelion337 »

the movie is just too short and superficial. no one will understand how Edward and Bella's love has gone so deep without reading the books. pattinson's performance was poor. he failed to show the determination and confidence that edward possessed. it was a bad choice to let pattinson to play edward. kristen is acceptable, perhaps she is more experienced and capable of acting.

and about the music, bella's lullaby sucks. just couldn't figure out why and how they picked this piece out. melody wasn't good and worst of all, they don't even know the difference between piano solo and an orchestra?!

heard that the movie is moving ahead to new moon, however, Catherine Hardwicke is no longer the director. perhaps it is a better move. the company should re-think the whole thing since there is so much room for improvement. i am a big fan of the books and hope the company can make a best plan for the sequel. please produce something that is worth spending money for movie tickets and dvds.

if possible, try to make Midnight Sun into movie so that we could have a better movie-version of Twilight.
he's got everything of an Adonis but he doesn't fool around.
jen991
Settled in Forks

Post by jen991 »

I happen to agree with most of you. I think in order to enjoy the movie you first have to have read the books, and second you have to then put aside your love of the book and think of the movie seperately. I was not a fan of the movie at first, in fact I thought they did a horrible job translating Stephanie Meyer's work into a screenplay. I, along with thousands of other, became addicted to the Twilight Saga at first read, and found myself anxiously waiting for the movie to come out. I ended up going to see the movie at midnight, the very first showing, and was sadly disappointed. I understand that they did not have much money to work with and that you cant possibly fit every single detail from the book into a two hour long movie, however I thin they could have done a much better job.
First of all, there were too many differences. There are several small details that were different, but also some major ones, that I feel hurt the movie. Such as THE MEADOW. In the book, the meadow is the defining moment in bella and edwards relationship, and in the movie they changed it to a point where it was just horrible.
Also, a major one, EDWARD AND BELLAS FIRST KISS!
Another problem the movie had was, as many of you have already said, it was too rushed. In the book, Edward and Bellas relationship grows over months. In the movie, it seems like it just happens overnight. In order to get the full effect of how much they love and care about eachother, you have to have read the book, because if you didnt, you wont understand. Which leads to my next point. The movie was geared towards people who have already read the book. And if you didnt read the book, then theres no way you can understand it. They left out alot of explaination, which confused many in the audience if they dint read. In fact, alot of the explaination in which they decided to leave out was essential to understand the book, let alone the movie. In the movie, if you havent read the book, then you wont understand why edward dislikes bella at first, or why he makes some of the remarks he does (remarks about Alice's visions), and you also need to know Carlisle's background if youre going to then understand New Moon.
In all, i was very displeased by the movie. I feel that in order to like the movie, you have to disregard your feelings about the book and not expect the amazing book that we all fell in love with to be exactly translated into film. Im interested in seeing how New Moon turns out, especially now that they have more money and a new director. Hopefully, they prove us all wrong and create an amazing movie that fully expresses Edward and Bellas relationship.
Titch22
Settled in Forks

Post by Titch22 »

I was disappointed in the movie. I thought it lacked flow and rythum. You didn't really get a feel for who the main characters were or why they fell in love. And a lot of the story seemed rushed and not given enought time to breath. The James part especially was taken care of much to fast and with no real build up. It seemed too easy to take him out. Plus some of the dialogue didn't ring true because of the stuff they took out. Like him sounding like he was from another time. Or him saying he didn't have the strength to stay away from her. When in the movie apparent from taking a couple of days of school he never really tried.

And it says a lot when I walk away from the movie liking Charlie more than Edward. Who seemed all over the place at first. He came across irriating and much darker then he was in the book. Her line about his mood swing giving her whip lash made me laugh because it was exactly what I was thinking. His emotions were all over the place with no real explanation. Which made it hard to see why she fell in love with him. It wasn't until about half way throught the movie that he seemed to calm down and I could finally enjoy him and the actors perormance.

I read the books after I watched the movie. And while it helped me to understand the characters better and allowed me to enjoy the movie a little better. It also really showed up how much the movie was lacking. I loved the books so much but I felt the movie didn't reflect about good the books really were.
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

dandelion337 wrote:
if possible, try to make Midnight Sun into movie so that we could have a better movie-version of Twilight.
COMPLETELY agree with you there!!
I wanted to hear Bella sleep-talking calling out Edwards name and stuff but no it wasn't included.
lilmisstrouble
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Isle of Esme. Between feathers and broken headboards.

Post by lilmisstrouble »

It's not that I didn't like the movie, because there are scenes that saved it from being a complete disaster. But others, embarrassed me. This is what I felt: embarrassed. I felt bad for some of the actors.

First and foremost: Rob Pattinson. I believe he is truly a good actor. I know he is talented. I have faith in him. But please, somebody explain to me, why on Earth did he so much remind me of Derek Zoolander? The scene just before the meadow, when he explains to Bella that his family, uh, we're not like the rest of them, we call ourselves vegetarians. Seriously, that was TERRIBLE acting. Terrible. I'm sorry.

A lot of the scenes where it was supposed to be serious, people were just laughing in the theater. Mainly due to the fact that Edward looked/sounded like a creep a lot of the times. For non-readers, I'm sure that just looked silly and confusing.

WHAT'S WITH JASPER? Ok, if you read the book, you know Jasper is not a weirdo. I don't think Jasper had any lines in the movie, they did not explain at all about his "super powers", which was a shame and the kid just looked plain creepy. And constipated.

Makeup: those vampires are supposed to be the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Sexy, alluring, gorgeous. In the movie, all of them just looked like they bought the wrong shade of foundation at the local Walgreens. Rosalie was nowhere near stunning. Nikki Reed just looked like she got a bad bleaching job at that beautiful brunette hair of hers. If they wanted to stick to the blond description from the book, they should've picked another actress who would actually look descent in blond hair.

I still can't get past the whole Derek Zoolander thing. Sorry. I honestly pray that for some magical reason, my Edward doesn't sound like an android douche on New Moon. Please. Pretty please.

Kristen Stewart. Great actress. Into the Wild is there to prove it. Probably not her fault, but... "why so serious?". Maybe it was a delusion from my head as I read the book, but I understood they were a tad bit more playful about the whole relationship situation. Bella is more sarcastic/funny/witty and tons more clumsy. Edward is a smartass. The Edward I saw on screen was just plain tormented and depressed. Dude, you're in love. So the lion fell in love with the lamb, but hey, embrace the good in it. They did it in the book.

Again on Nikki Reed. The scene where angry Rosalie breaks the salad dish with her bare hands cause Bella wasn't hungry was just a tinsy bit... exaggerated, to say the least. They could've skipped that.

Now, is it because the whole relationship between Bella and Edward felt rushed in the movie or Kristen and Rob really lacked chemistry on screen? I kinda felt that a little bit. What do you think?

Uh, Bella's prom dress ensemble. Really, wardrobe designer? Really? I clearly remember Bella wearing a stilleto heel for Prom and Edward wanting to thank Alice for that special touch. I didn't buy the whole "I'm so cool I can wear leggings under my dress and pull off this Chuck Taylor along with my cast, cause this is how I roll here in Forks". Fug.

Now, for the good, and to be fair:

Esme Cullen is perfectly portrayed. Motherly, warm, cheerful. She should share some of those happy pills with her sons, Jasper and Edward.

Alice: charming, bubbly, perfect. Great acting. Wish I had seen more of her and her developing friendship with Bella, especially at the hotel in Phoenix. Too bad that part was so rushed.

Loved the "It's called an adrenaline rush. It's very common, you can Google it" line. Great addition to the movie.

Rob Pattinson's songs. "Let me Sign" is beautiful!!!

James the Vampire. "You brought a snack?" - that was great. Thanks for not ruining that for us!

The baseball scene. That was my favorite. So much fun, I had been wondering how they were gonna play that out. It was perfect with the thunder storms and the Muse song in the back.

The Piano/aerial view of Bella and Edward climbing that one tall tree. That was a beautiful scene too.

The car crash scene. Pretty good too.
"Does my being half-naked bother you?"
Yes, please take the other half off. xoxo

http://www.whatwouldedwardcullendo.blogspot.com