Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
amie
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Special Effects

Post by amie »

navarre wrote: amie, that's a good question regarding the special effects in camera speed. The tree climbing wasn't too bad, I've seen worse.
Well, Emmett's tree climbing looked good (in the baseball scene) but Edward's (with Bella on his back) didn't - from what I've seen, they pulled Rob up quickly and had him move his hands and legs like he was climbing. But there are several time where his legs don't even make contact with the tree. It seems to me it would have been more effective if they'd had him climb up slowly, like an actual human would have, and then sped up the film.

I think that was my biggest issue with the non-sparkle effects, that they were so inconsistent. Which I believe is repeating myself. But at least I'm consistent.
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

I totally agree, why were the same actions portrayed with 2 different effects? The running and jumping looked good at some points, they should have just kept it that way for the duration of the film. We can only hope they do better with NM.
Image Image
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

there are two special effects I didn't like. first was the running through the woods. they looked like their feet didn't touch the ground. it looked weird to me. I was thinking about it afterwards & maybe they were trying to go for the idea that they run so fast that that's how the running would look to us humans? (I don't know just a theory.) also Edward running up the tree w/Bella on his back looked weird too.

I actually liked the sparkle of Edward. I was curious to see how they were going to pull it off & not make it look freaky. I think it was done pretty well. (at least until BD I don't think there's anymore sparkling so they can do it different/better if they make that one into a movie.)

And then like everyone else has said I LOVED the baseball scene. (Jasper & Emmett were SO HOT here!) It was just so cool! And then I loved the fight/ballet scene as well. It was so cool & I loved that Alice ripped of James's head!

I really hope Summit isn't stupid & doesn't give them a BIGGER budget for NM. Especially for making the werewolves. I don't want them looking icky/stupid like in Harry Potter 3 (I really did NOT like it.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
amie

Post by amie »

pennybug84 wrote:I actually liked the sparkle of Edward. I was curious to see how they were going to pull it off & not make it look freaky. I think it was done pretty well. (at least until BD I don't think there's anymore sparkling so they can do it different/better if they make that one into a movie.)
My issue with the sparkling was that it wasn't enough to make the threat of it in Volturra terrifying. It needed to be something that absolutely cannot be explained away by something humans would be comfortable with - the line in NM is something like "no human would ever forget that" and as it was in Twilight, it was pretty forgettable. The effect doesn't actually show up in NM, but it needs to be a real threat.
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

^ Good point.
We can't just have people waving him off as a man who sweats profusely. :lol:
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

amie wrote:
navarre wrote: amie, that's a good question regarding the special effects in camera speed. The tree climbing wasn't too bad, I've seen worse.
Well, Emmett's tree climbing looked good (in the baseball scene) but Edward's (with Bella on his back) didn't - from what I've seen, they pulled Rob up quickly and had him move his hands and legs like he was climbing. But there are several time where his legs don't even make contact with the tree. It seems to me it would have been more effective if they'd had him climb up slowly, like an actual human would have, and then sped up the film.

I think that was my biggest issue with the non-sparkle effects, that they were so inconsistent. Which I believe is repeating myself. But at least I'm consistent.
Yeah, I have to agree with you there. When I let my sister talk me into seeing that movie again, I noticed that time what you just mentioned. Funny how the first time, one can miss things. I guess the excitement of seeing a film the first time, you miss stuff - Duh!! :roll: :lol:

The sparkle effect still made Rob look like he was either sweating profusely or had a bad skin condition - I truly do not know how they could overcome that unless they use some kind of powder(neutral color) with sparkle ingredients, I don't know - just a guess.
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
Edward_Addict
Completely Dazzled!

Post by Edward_Addict »

twilight1909 wrote:^ Good point.
OMJR I started laughing so hard when I read that! I'm just imagining all those Italians milling around Volterra seeing this half naked man step into the sun and instead of being terrified they're like "Ew, sweaty much?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Image
amie

Post by amie »

Edward_Addict wrote:
twilight1909 wrote:^ Good point.
OMJR I started laughing so hard when I read that! I'm just imagining all those Italians milling around Volterra seeing this half naked man step into the sun and instead of being terrified they're like "Ew, sweaty much?" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have a friend who said it looked just he just put some glitter on. She mentioned the red-themed festival in Volterra and said she imagined people discretely leaning over and saying "dude - next time - RED glitter!"
twilight1909
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by twilight1909 »

bwahahaha Edward_Addict I pictured the same thing when I said that!
The sweaty or glittery half-naked man in the crowd... now that's a sight, but not the one I imagine for the suspenseful New Moon scene. Edward would still be gorgeous either way. Hmm, I wish I could make him sweat... :shock: Sorry, that one slipped.
And so the lion fell in love with the lamb… What a lucky lamb.
TEAM EDWARD: Knight in Shining Volvo
LoveMeSomeEdward
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by LoveMeSomeEdward »

I loved the effects during the baseball game, the way Alice was pitching really looked elegant.

With the sparkling i don't think it was magical enough, it was kinda you have to look very very closely to see the sparkleness. Hopefully for the next movie they'll get more money to spent on proper special effects.