Discussion of the Twilight movie

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
anilumagloire
Wandering Through Town

Re: Director Catherine Hardwicke

Post by anilumagloire »

navarre wrote: That would be awesome, but to get that coup, Summit would have to come up with a fee equal to GNP of some third world country to get him.

PJ would know exactly what to do and then some. :D

Oh!!! That would be a dream come true!! What he did with TLOTR was genius.
tricia
Learning to Love Green

Post by tricia »

vamp na hEireann wrote:I vote Peter Jackson.He always sticks well to the books but changes bits to make the film better.

a nice dream... all they have to do is up the budget by about 20 million
"Her existence alone was excuse enough to justify the creation of the entire world."

And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways.
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

tricia wrote:
vamp na hEireann wrote:I vote Peter Jackson.He always sticks well to the books but changes bits to make the film better.

a nice dream... all they have to do is up the budget by about 20 million
Yeah, I know. *sigh*
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
peacefulpalmtree
Settled in Forks

Post by peacefulpalmtree »

I heard the guy that directed "The Golden Compass"(who's name escapes me at the moment sorry) is supposed to be the new director. I'm kind of worried because though, I haven't seen that movie I heard it did not do the book justice at all. I hope who ever it is that ends up directing New Moon does a good job, it's sort of necessary for the series.
MidnightStar
Settled in Forks

Post by MidnightStar »

PJ would never do Twilight, because I doubt he's interested in the material. He did TLOTR so brilliantly because he was passionate about the story, which let's face it CH was about Twilight. I know it's true better to go with the devil you know, and we're all comfortable with how CH approaches Twilight even if it's ultimately not what most fans hope for.

I think the bottom line that ppl are missing is everyone is afraid of the big, bad entertainment company (Summit) without reason. This is their first big box office, commercial success and in the past they handled the smaller, indie films. They are the ones who took the gamble with an indie FEMALE director in the first place. I know the series now has the potential to make money so they could screw it up for commerical success, but that's not how Summit operated in the past.

Who knows, we might even get lucky with a passionate director and a better FX budget. This is where I would love to see the Kiwis work on the film and have Weta, Ltd handle the special effects. Can you imagine how much of the Jacob storyline they will have to cut if they don't spend the money to make the wolves look good?!!! *Shudder* :cry:
Like the morning sun your eyes will follow me
As you watch me wander, curse the powers that be
amandaxcullen
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by amandaxcullen »

My good friend and I were looking up information on the new director and we came across this article with several directors listed along with the pros and cons of each one, the two that sounded the best for the movie only had one con each; they were both in post-production. One of the other people that sounded alright was the director of Marie Antonette (and a few other things I can't put my finger on at this moment..) and she sounded alright except for the fact that she would replace Kristen Stewart with Kristen Dunst! Now I for one am not a K-Stew as Bella fan, but putting Dunst in there sounds just horrible. I don't think she's a bad actress, she just does not look like a Bella even if she had brown hair.
Team Jacob!
Because a space heater has more potential than a rock.
cullen_kissez
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cullen_kissez »

navarre wrote:
Mavors wrote:Sad to know that CH was not confirmed as director of NM as well.
She was a fan of the books and even if she portraied it a bit differently in the movie, I shiver in thinking what might happen to the original appeal of the book under a director that knows nothing at all about it, or is only focused on making money.
If CH,as a fan, tought an year was not enough to make a good enough movie, that means we'll probably have a rushed work that wants to take advantage of the huge success the first movie had as soon as possible. And I understand that's the rightful way for big companies like Summit to think, but I still fear what might become of NM...
Hope they won't just take advantage of the huge fun base and actor/s notoriety and aim more for quality
I, for one, would love it if Icon Pictures bought the rights to these stories. They did the 'National Treasure' films and I think Passion of The Christ. Talk about epic productions. Icon is on more solid ground financially. They would certainly give more to production costs and I would love to think more time to create the kind of world the SM's stories require.

Summit, like CH & MR just do not get it. Summit thinks that generating money quickly is going to save them, but at what expense? Creative ability? Writing a quick script? What, I ask?

I am afraid we are stuck with a narrow-minded production team(Summit) who will probably get us another crappy director and thus another crappy movie. :x
I think Summit needs to stick with those indie flicks .. they don't look like they can handle big budget movies..
I mean, the movie knocked other movies out of the box office when it first opened .. I'm sure they can do a lot better than $50M

They obviously can't afford Peter Jackson. That's a great director; I mean - he' sure put the graphics and the intense storyline to good use, but I don't see him understanding the movie like that.. Shoot, get another woman - Jada Pinkett Smith or Jodie Foster, someone who can understand the teen angst that Bella is literally dripping .. hire a new screenwriter.. who wrote the Notebook? or even Atonement? Someone who can mix drama, comedy, suspense, romance, action, heartbreak, happiness, fear, anger, pride, resentment, solace - all the emotions you as a reader experience reading the novels.. Let's start from there, if they can manage that .. any director with half a mind could bring it off - get back Hardwicke if that's what it takes - I mean, she started the vision, give her a little more and see it thru, huh?
.:: why try and fit in when I was born to stand out? ::.

..and then we continued blissfully into this small but perfect piece of our forever.
E<3B
freeml
Wandering Through Town

Post by freeml »

amandaxcullen wrote: One of the other people that sounded alright was the director of Marie Antonette (and a few other things I can't put my finger on at this moment..) and she sounded alright except for the fact that she would replace Kristen Stewart with Kristen Dunst!
I think the only reason the article said that was because Sophia Coppola (the director of Marie Antoinette) used Kirsten Dunst in Marie Antoinette and the Virgin Suicides...so it was probably a joke since that director works with Kirsten a lot....I doubt she would even be able to recast Bella since Kristen Stewart is contracted for New Moon (and Eclipse too I think).

I am not really worried about getting a new director. If you look at the Harry Potter movies, they have had, what, 4 different directors?? And while you can definitely notice differences in the "style" of the movies that had different directors, I don't think it is a bad thing...each new director brought something different to their film, and obviously every one of the films has been successful (just like all the Twilight films will be successful) because in the end it is the fans of the books who are the ones going out to see the movies.
~The future's bright, but she is brighter~ Alice's song!!

~And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways~ Midgnight sun
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by TopazLove »

The very first thing I said after seeing the movie was that I hope they get a new director for the next one....but I am just scared because I feel like Summit doesn't have their heart in the right place. I did like what the PP said about Summit taking a chance on Twilight and CH to begin with. Maybe we should have a little more faith? I am a big fan of the HP movies. IMO, one of the best films in that series was Prisoner of Azkaban, which coincidentally was the first one to have a new director....I guess I should not be so afraid of the unknown. NO matter what, that baseball scene was freakin awesome. Maybe that is why I give CH a little credit, lol. I am seriously DYING to see who the new director is! Aren't you guys????
TopazLove
Learning to Love Green

Post by TopazLove »

Everything I am reading says Chris Weitz (The Golden Compass) will direct New Moon and Eclipse. If he decides to do it, he has to report next week. So, it looks like we will know by then.