Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Mara C
Settled in Forks

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by Mara C »

I liked both actually.
but I think Twilight fans were expecting another Twilight from the word go. The Host was a true sci-fi novel they can be very complex..... I'm glad she came out with this one it shows her range as a writer as well as her growth the novel was better written to me then her previous works. Another reason why The Host was awesome because the main character had the same name as the playable character in my favorite video game Shadow of the Colossus. Yippee!

(I know I'm a dork... -.-)

-MC
Harbinger
Settled in Forks

Post by Harbinger »

I also had a hard time getting into The Host at first, there was alot going on in the beginning that didn't make much sense the first time through the book. It seems to me that the problem was that you were being put into the story from the aliens point of view, barely arriving on earth, while you had no background knowledge of what was happening, there just wasn't much to relate to (How many of us are parasitic aliens?). Meanwhile in those first few pages of Twilight your seeing the new kid in high school, worrying about finding friends, classes, etc. which most everyone has had some experience with, so its much easier to relate to.

Honestly, lets say the first twilight book released was from Edwards point of view, how many people would relate to a vampire's struggle to not kill bella in the first chapters? I think most people would skip that book if they didn't have the backstory, because it would be just as alien as The Host is. (Of course now that you've read Twilight you want to get the other side of the story, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have liked starting with it).

Twilight was good because it was so easy to relate to, it had feelings that everyone has had, with alittle bit of mystery to intrigue you.

In The Host I liked the depth of the story, the dilemmas faced by most of the characters about trust, friendship, love, loyalty. It was just a very compelling story to me, the stuggle with right and wrong when the line was so blurred because of what Wanderer was.

I liked them both, and I wouldn't say one was better overall then the other, because they were both good to me for different reasons.
leannia
Wandering Through Town

Post by leannia »

I had a hard time getting into the Host at first as well. But I really enjoyed it and even cried there at the end. I agree with whoever said that they disliked Wanda's new body.... I thought it was hilarious that she learned from Mel's mistake and lied about her age!

I have to say, thought, that The Host is a much better read the second time. I tend to read quickly the first time through wanting to know what happens so then the second time through I can just really enjoy the story. It does take several chapters to get into The Host. I think if I read it again I will skip to when she is found by Jeb.

If she turns The Host into a series I will wait until she is done all of it before I buy any more of them. I don't want to get hooked and excited about upcomming books only for something to happen and she decide not to finish the series (like she is already doing with the Twilight series).
Tamran
Settled in Forks

Post by Tamran »

it was really hard for me to get into the book as well at first. the beginning was too confusing and a little all over the place and nothing really made sense. but i wasn't going to stop. i had to give SM a chance. then i got to chapter 4 and my eyes and mind peeked up. the dream really caught my attention. from there i was all over it. i couldn't put it down until i was finished.

i think so many people get so into twilight that they can't get out of it and are scared to try something else. whether it be the host or something else. i had someone pick up and read the host and she was about to give up because she couldn't understand and it was confusing. i told her don't give up! please just get to chapter 4 or at least chapter 5. that's when it all started coming together for me and i wasn't as confused anymore. she didn't stop and loved it! i have to give SM credit for that.. she's just so amazing.

i can't wait to read it again. i want too. because once i got into it i tend to read fast and reading again will bring more things to me i'm sure. what it is about SM and wanting to read her things more than once i don't know..lol but i hope that she makes more to this one. i would love to see how things turn out for everyone.

twilight was the type of book that anyone could relate to. for some of the older readers like myself, have been there before. some of the younger ones too maybe. the love for vampires as a whole for me had a lot to do with it. there is nothing like twilight and they will always be a big part of me. but the host was great as well and i hope that more people give it a chance. to step outside the twilight box.
sydenay
Settled in Forks

Post by sydenay »

dude, in my oppinion...Ian wins hands down vs Edward...he's just more real...BUUUUUUUUUUUT Twilight...The Host... DUDE i guess i like them both the same but like...Ian ish better
Konyx
Settled in Forks

Post by Konyx »

I like The Host more. Yes, I love Twilight and it's love story and all the things that happen in it. It's just, Bella is so...obsessed with Edward that when he walks into the room, it's all about him. She's hyper aware of him, then Jacob, and then the both of them. While I love Jacob and Edward, it's just to much for her to constantly focus on them.

With The Host, Wanda does focus on Jared and Ian a lot, but because of who she is, she also very aware of everyone around. She takes note of all the small things; the different looks she always gets thoughout the book, the way someone says something.

I know Bella does this too, but just not enough. She's so wrapped up in her world that she often forgets about hte many things going on outside of it. Wanda rarely did that.

I liked the story better too. The characters just seem...more real, I guess.
waiting tobe dazzled
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by waiting tobe dazzled »

As much as I love Twlight, I have to say that I like the Host more. Edward and Bella's love story is amazing, but the Host *I believe* has something speacial. I did have a hard time getting into it at first, I had actually put it down after the first couple of chapters with no intentions of picking it back up. However, after I had decided to pick it up again, I was thrilled at what I found. I think that, even though the Host is dealing with alien life forms, it is more relatable. It is easier to understand Ian and Jared and Melanie's thoughts and reactions because they are human. At least its that way for me :)
*I personally also would gladly welcome a sequel to the Host into my personal library*
Field Supervisor of EDC, Inc.
Team Edward-Knight in Shining Volvo
Team Rosalie-Every Rose has it's thorn
Cotton Candy Revolutionists~Jell-O Wars of 09’
trhmllr
Learning to Love Green

Post by trhmllr »

I finally read The Host. I am a huge fan of Twilight. Like uberly obsessed. But I really like the Host as well. I can't pick a favorite. They were both well written. I loved how the characters developed. I like how it worked out for Wanda and Ian!! And Mel and Jared!!
Love them both!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImage
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

I can't pick between them. The Host is more well written and I love the characters in the Saga.

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
AliceC
Learning to Love Green

Post by AliceC »

I loved the Host, it was confusing in the first chapter, but
then I understood it.

but Twilight has NO comparison whatsoever.

Twilight was sooo amazing. Still is actually. Lol.
All of the characters are made to fall in love with,
and so we all fall in love with the book.

What else can I say?

Aha.

You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me. - Ian O'Shea