Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jlbower79
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by jlbower79 »

j'aime twilight wrote:The two books are very different, but i have to say i think Twilight is better. The Host was kinda boring in the beginning, but it started to get more interesting when Wanda escaped the Seeker. Twilight was gripping from the beginning, and you just can't put it down! It's also not as complicated as The Host is.
i love your nick... Jaime twilight... just like me! :D but as far as it being hard to understand in the beginning I didn't want to read it because e1 kept telling me it was hard to get into but I never once had a problem getting into it... i also read it in one day and then read it 2 more times that week... i couldn't stop.
is CRYING over her "Doesn't anyone ♥ ME?" button.
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER *DRIVER*
kissmecarlisle
Settled in Forks

Post by kissmecarlisle »

I read "The Host" for a book club I'm in. It was hard to read after finishing Breaking Dawn. I felt there was something missing that was in the Twilight series. I am not sure what it is though. It just seemed to take forever to catch my interest. Loved the Twilight series more!
Carlisle...why can't you be real?
LilyMorgana
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LilyMorgana »

I think I like the Host more than Twilight. :oops: This could be because I've just finished reading the Host and it's still fresh in my memory, but I really loved it and how it surprised me in the end. The Host seemed slightly more intense to me. I don't know why. Probably because it made me cry and Twilight didn't. Maybe I change my mind again after rereading the Twilight series again. :)
- Nele

Private Morgana Mordant of Jasper's Confederate Army, Team Stainless Claret
LilyMorgana
★PAPARAZZI★
Settled in Forks

Post by ★PAPARAZZI★ »

Writing Style: Host >>>>> Twilight
Overall: Twilight > Host
urcoolcarrie
Acquiring a Taste for Mountain Lion

Post by urcoolcarrie »

Ugh. This is very, very hard for me. I thought that Stephenie's writing was so, SO good in the Host. It was amazing how much she improved in her writing skills after Twilight. It was very interesting to read. Plus, unlike what some people have said, I was captured right from the beginning. It wasn't hard for me to get into at all. Plus, I was bawling through lots of the book. My brother actually came in and asked me what was wrong a couple of times.

However, Twilight, too, made me cry. Its so intense and pulls you in. I prefer the intense romance in Twilight over more of the story telling of the Host. I enjoyed the part of Bella and Edwards relationship that was so hard, and thats what they were fighting for--to be together.

So, I think I prefer Twilight over the Host, but not by much. Is mostly because of the romance. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Plus, it was the first book that ever really captured my whole heart and soul. My whole life is now devoted to that one series. So, since I'm so involved in everything, and I just can't get enough of it, I'm going to say that I pick Twilight.
HR Manager of EDC::Proud Klutzer::Midnight Sun Virgin
Brella
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Brella »

Ok sorry to sound like a broken record but I really did love them both. I agree that there are some elements that are very similar and at first I feared The Host would be a twilight love triangle all over again but it wasn't. The similar elements are, like someone already stated, elements you will find in any love story. Whether it's Titantic, Pride and Prejudice or Star Wars. Love is love is love. That being said I liked The Host more so than Twilight. For me I seemed to see Twilight as a story about young love, I mean for me a great many of the hangups Bella & Edward faced were of their own makings. But for the characters in The Host it was the circumstances that led to their hangups. Also The Host was a more well written tale that maintained more character developement than Twilight did. Many of the characters in Twilight were static.
~Brella~
Member EDC, INC: Bulldozer Trainee
Edward prefers brunettes...Emmett likes blonds..but for Ian, the beauty of your soul is all that matters!
Skylar=My twin seperated at birth
dazzlingdynamite
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by dazzlingdynamite »

I think I like Twilight better solidly because it has better characters. I did like Wanderer and Ian, but some of the characters in the Host didn't impress me.
I think Twilight captivated me more, and got me really hooked, whereas The Host took longer to settle in.
For me, Twilight is my preferred.
Call That a Comeback?
YOU ME AT SIX
ment2be134
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by ment2be134 »

I don't know. The Host to me is so much more about having faith in humanity and that some times it seems really bad and gruesome, But if you look on the inside the "soul" of people you see the good, the side that isn't afraid to love of fight for what feels right. and that some times compassion just needs a little help getting off the ground.

Where as Twilight is more about how love will find a way weather you find your Jacob or your Edward. And yes it's not easy and can be vary painful but it will happen in some form or another.

So when i try and choose it's fighting, plus i'm really bad at choosing things, But in the end im going to stick with twilight.
"Sleep, my Bella. Dream happy dreams. You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours. Sleep, my only love."
~ Edward Cullen

"she's diabolical" ~Emmet Cullen
blue-eyed-bella
Wandering Through Town

Post by blue-eyed-bella »

I loved them both, but I loved Twilight more. Like a lot of people have already said, Twilight had much stronger characters. And I guess that is true, but The Host is just one book (so far) and the Twilight Saga is four. So the characters had much more time to develop. Also, with The Host, I just wasn't that into Ian the way I was with Edward and Jacob. I also felt that the romance between Ian and Wanda was kind of rushed (And Edward/Bella and Jacob/Bella never were!).
When life offers you a dream so far beyond any of your expectations, it's not reasonable to grieve when it comes to an end.
edward x lover
Fishing with Charlie

Post by edward x lover »

I think I prefer Twilight more because of how hooked I got but I can definitely relate to The Host more. I know what you are all think 'she's crazy' but listen. Now matter how hard you look you aren't going to find any Edwards out there. You can say I'm wrong but that just doesn't exist. But the love Ian has for Wanda does. Ian is a HUMAN. He loves Wanda in a HUMAN way. That kind of love DOES exist and that's what we can all hope for. If you are holding out for an Edward then you are gonna end up alone. But the Ians do exist.

oh and jlbower79 New Moon is totally my favorite too. =] but my books are in this order:
New Moon
Eclipse/Twilight
The Host
Breaking Dawn

PS I hated Breaking Dawn PM me if you wanna know why.
~Lee~
Team Ian because human guys can be perfect.
Team Edward-Bringing Sexy Back Since 1901
RDC<3