Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Twilight verses the Host

Post by roseaurora »

I think its interesting that when both the romantic male leads (Edward and Ian) first encounter their ladies, their first instinct is to kill them! haha! :lol:

(Edward very nearly killed Bella in Biology that first day and Ian nearly chokes Wanderer to death.)
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Jadey
Resisting Temptation With Carlisle

Post by Jadey »

Well, I stopped reading the Host at Chapter 3, it bored me to death,

So I say TWILIGHT
+ Nothing can compete with the one and only Twilight
^ by ForJazz
"Theres a lot of like, feminist issues with the book. Like, 'Oh, she's so devoted to him' and well yeah, she's in love with him"
- Kristen Stewart
CullensGirl14
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by CullensGirl14 »

I had this discussion with my mum last night lol, Twilight is young adult, or teen. I thought The Host was for adults, although young adults....hmmm....have to think abit more on that lol.

The Host is completely different, therefore the only link between the two is the author.

I've just finished The Host and i enjoyed it, i enjoyed the 'inner' monologue between Wanda and Melanie. I was kinda disappointed with the ending in the sense that Wanda taking Pet's body was something she never wanted to do and she was resolute in dying, but she was still saved, i mean that's cool for Ian, but after all the hype of her giving over the secret of removing a soul without killing the host and asking to die in return, but then being saved...anti climax.

But i loved Wanda, Mel, Jared, Jamie and Ian. The story was interesting in not a bit monotonous in the caves lol. The trust issue between the humans and Wanderer was brilliant, i thought it was good that they trusted her enough to let her work, but didn't trust her to go on a raid to save Jamie. I think it reflects society very well, because let's face the media have made us all suspicious of anything 'other' anything different to us, we see luggage left on a seat maybe because the owner forgot it, or has gone to get some food from the stall opposite, how many people are racing to get past it, in case it blows up?

Well Done SM on a book that actually made me think about the times we live in.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountain, like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this?
*Lamb*I*Am*
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by *Lamb*I*Am* »

Jadey wrote:Well, I stopped reading the Host at Chapter 3, it bored me to death,
Jadey- I almost gave up during the 1st few chapters too. It was extremely tedious. I persevered though & was very glad I did! The book got MUCH MUCH better & was a really good read.
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I think both Ian and Jared are "Edward- like"

Ian is Wanda's Edward and Jared is Mel's

:D
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
bodysnatcher
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by bodysnatcher »

The Host really proved SM's growth as an author. I think it highlighted a lot more worldly themes than Twilight. My only critique is that,just like the twilight series... The ending is a complete deus ex machina.
"and the boy loved the tree"
Hailish
Settled in Forks

Post by Hailish »

I liked The Host and would recommend it. But Twilight definitely wins out as the better book.

One thing I couldn't figure out -- they say that The Host is SM's first "adult" book, yet I did not find anything in it that was more risque, violent, what-have-you than Twilight. Does anyone know why they say this book was aimed at adults rather than 'young' adults? I suppose perhaps it's just the plot as a whole, and how it makes the reader contemplate what is right and what is wrong, with regard to the humans and the aliens. I suppose that's something an adult would be more ready to consider than a 'young adult'.

Anyway, I was glad the book ended the way it did. I saw it coming from a mile away (Wanda getting a new host body from a human who's mind was totally gone), but I was glad for it anyway. It might be cheesy that SM tidies up her stories so neatly at the end so that everything is perfect, but I actually love that about her books. I am a hopeless romantic and I adore happy endings. More, please!
Ractor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Ractor »

The world has ended is kinda a bit more adult based.
Ractor - Proud Twiguy
Chef for Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Gino Dartino "Dart"- Twilight Mafia
(forth Line NINJA)
mikkib
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by mikkib »

I think the characters are older. Mel is 20 and everyone is older than that, although I am not sure how much older. Well, not Jamie but he was the "kid".

As far as the subject, language and etc, I thought it was the same. It was very clean and chaste. I assume there might be more later. I assume they are going to do more than kiss by the second book.

I asked this on another forum but what is SM working on now?
best_beating_heart
Frozen in Time

Post by best_beating_heart »

I really liked The Host... but the Twilight series wins.

I think, that since the Twilight characters are younger, you can see yourself as part of the story more.
Plus, The Host took a while to develop (not complaining a lot thouigh since I did enjoy it) :lol:

TM~Maria Dina Corozzo
Teams:Alice, Emmett, Esme, Renesmee, Volturi~Athenodora, JCA~Aubrey Santi~SC