Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Sequels

Post by fanMNM »

I definitely think the idea of babies is a possibility...

But I think I would be really disappointed if there is another love triangle introduced involving Wanda and Ian...poor guy! I think he's been through enough waiting and longing...he had to put up with Wanda's infactuation with Jared through Mel's body and I doubt it's be fair for him to have to go through all that again.

It's like the possibility of SM writing Jacob and Renesmee's story...some people have suggested that there might be a possible love triangle with her, Jacob and Nahul....but does anyone esle feel that would be REALLY unfair for Jacob?? Poor kid...I think he went through enough with Bella and to have to fight for the girl of his dreams AGAIN, it just makes me want to cringe.

I feel the same thing for Ian. I would like to read all about Burns' story though and I think SM left The Host off at a perfect point for a sequel. She introduced us to all these new characters and then just ended it!! I'd really like to know how the new comers mesh with Uncle Jeb's group. And I would definitely like to hear more about Jamie's future!

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
Immy93
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Immy93 »

BaylorBear12 wrote:I really hope that no one dies in the books. I really would like to see Wanda or Melanie have a baby. I also think that it would be cool if she wrote the book from both of their perspectives. I would miss not hearing from melanie if she decided to keep it in Wandas Point of view.
I'd love if they had childrne too!
Mel would have a boy and Wanda would have a girl¬
Sorry, I just see it like that! :lol:

xxx
ImageEdward Cullen
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

fanMNM wrote:
It's like the possibility of SM writing Jacob and Renesmee's story...some people have suggested that there might be a possible love triangle with her, Jacob and Nahul....but does anyone esle feel that would be REALLY unfair for Jacob?? Poor kid...I think he went through enough with Bella and to have to fight for the girl of his dreams AGAIN, it just makes me want to cringe.
There's no way Nessie would ever consider choosing Nahuel over Jacob. She's smart enough to realize that Jacob is all she's ever gonna want and more. And she loves him so much that she would never dream of breaking his heart in the same way that Bella did.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
BaylorBear12
Wandering Through Town

Post by BaylorBear12 »

Black wrote:
fanMNM wrote:
There's no way Nessie would ever consider choosing Nahuel over Jacob. She's smart enough to realize that Jacob is all she's ever gonna want and more. And she loves him so much that she would never dream of breaking his heart in the same way that Bella did.
Even though this has nothing to do with The Host, I dont think that Bella ment to break Jacobs heart that just kind of happened but I really dont see Renesme falling for anyone but Jacob tehy are already so close to each other. She would never be able to do anything to hurt him.

On The Host though, I really want to see another story about them. A movie would be cool too, but Summit had their hands full for a while now. I think that Stephanie will do what is right for the series and knows her fan base well enough to see that we all want to see the story to continue from Melanies and Wanda's POV's, and no more love triangles. ;)

I dont know though we will just have to wait and see!
slightlyobsessed
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: Joining a 15-Step Program for those who make unseemly comments on Rob Pattinson's Thread...

Post by slightlyobsessed »

I'm struggling with the differentiation between whether it's a young adult novel, or an adult novel. Personally I didn't notice a marked difference between the subject matter in Twilight and that of The Host. Both The Host and Twilight dealt with death, souls (apart from Souls), an afterlife, murder, sex, and moral dilemmas in their basest form.

So what made The Host adult? I think SM will probably have/want to do something to really distinguish this in the next book.

I think that any sequel would almost have to deal with the death of a more significant character. Jeb is the obvious choice. SM doesn't like killing off characters, and though we all love Jeb (at least I know I do), he is already old, so his loss will be easier to accept than some of the others.

I think EITHER Maggie or Sharon will die, propelling the remaining character into a definitive conclusion on their feelings for Wanderer. No more of this no man's land of opinion for them. You can't have these characters avoiding Wanderer if they're all living in such close proximity to one another.

I think Doc could die. He's not incredibly necessary now that they have some (albeit limited) access to medical supplies, and Wanderer's ability to remove souls. The only real knowledge that he has that they might need is of the birthing process--which leads me to believe that either someone gets pregnant or he dies; he has no real point as a character if neither of these things occur.

Finally, I think the Seeker could die. Imagine that plot-wise. What could be better than killing off THE main threat, having the characters feel relieved by it, seeing Wanderer's guilt for feeling relief, and then the introduction of a new, even more determined, more powerful enemy?

In any case, I think the potential for sequels is fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing where SM takes the books.
ImageImage
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER LEGAL REPRESENTATION
APPC: Shopaholic
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

slightlyobsessed wrote:
I think Doc could die. He's not incredibly necessary now that they have some (albeit limited) access to medical supplies, and Wanderer's ability to remove souls. The only real knowledge that he has that they might need is of the birthing process--which leads me to believe that either someone gets pregnant or he dies; he has no real point as a character if neither of these things occur.
I don't think Doc was an obstetrician. Candy probably has more experience in that area than he does. They don't even need Doc anymore, haha. Doc could die and I wouldn't care much. Not that I don't like him or anything, he's just nothing special to me.
Finally, I think the Seeker could die. Imagine that plot-wise. What could be better than killing off THE main threat, having the characters feel relieved by it, seeing Wanderer's guilt for feeling relief, and then the introduction of a new, even more determined, more powerful enemy?
The Seeker isn't a Seeker anymore. I don't think she's that big of a threat.
sarah!
Digging the Castle Motif
Location: Tieing Derek in thunderball, having poke wars with Logan, and woiloping with sam!

Post by sarah! »

I hope she does sequels!!!! :)
I love The Host :)
ImageImage
BLF-Logan, Twinny-Chels, Jell-o! My Twi-guys-Derek and Logs, Lemur 4 LIFE!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

BaylorBear12 wrote:
Even though this has nothing to do with The Host, I dont think that Bella ment to break Jacobs heart that just kind of happened but I really dont see Renesme falling for anyone but Jacob tehy are already so close to each other. She would never be able to do anything to hurt him.

On The Host though, I really want to see another story about them. A movie would be cool too, but Summit had their hands full for a while now. I think that Stephanie will do what is right for the series and knows her fan base well enough to see that we all want to see the story to continue from Melanies and Wanda's POV's, and no more love triangles. ;)

I dont know though we will just have to wait and see!

BaylorBear...
Sorry! I didn't mean to get off topic, I was just trying to draw an analogy there. I know Bella didn't mean to break Jacob's heart...and I agree with her choice in the end. (I am Team Edward...lol) But I do know Jacob got hurt and I don't think it'd be fair for him to have to go thru another situation like that...I agree with you that I doubt Renesmee could do anything to hurt Jacob. And I hope that is true with Wanda and Ian as well :) I think the story line was so hard for all concerned. Jared, Melanie, Wanda, and Ian all had strange connections go on there and I think they deserve some time to enjoy each other in a healthy non-complicated way now! :)

I definitely trust SM and know that she'll tell the story the way she sees it best. I certainly wasn't let down by the Twilight series so I doubt I will be with and sequels she writes for the Host :)

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I feel like there should be a sequel to The Host. Somehow, the ending felt incomplete to me.
And I want babies too. :P It would be interesting to see SM write an normal pregnancy.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Well, as normal as a pregnancy can be underground, right? lol

I hear a lot of people say that Kyle and Sunny will be the first to have a baby but I don't really see the logic behind that... It might be like my friend Matt said, with Kyle having a lot of angry sex, but somehow, I just can't see that happening XD.