Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Sequels

Post by fanMNM »

slightlyobsessed wrote: Okay, two new questions about potential sequels:

1) Do you foresee the community in the caves moving? Going to look for another, bigger place to call home? They're going to need more room soon, especially if the new humans we met at the end of The Host are going to stay with Jeb and his "family." We already saw them sort of scraping the edges of their home with the addition of Wanderer, so it kind of seems inevitable, right?

2) Do you think that there will be a big battle for Earth at the end of the series? Or do you think the humans and the Souls will be able to live peacefully together somehow? Souls don't fight, but many of them have found Earth to be more of a home than any of the other worlds they've ever visited (Wanderer for instance). Would they be willing to fight for that now? And if they all (humans and Souls) give peace a go, how would that work? Would Souls that are already on Earth be fine, but no new Souls are introduced? Unless, of course, Souls give birth and implant new Souls into their children, I suppose. And would humans be willing to put aside the urge for revenge against the Souls if it meant they no longer had to fear for their own lives?

Okay, that was more than two questions. Two general areas of discussion, I guess.
I think that with the rate they seem to be growing, they are going to have to do something to change living arrangements. I dunno why I thought this...but I considered the idea that with the introduction of this new group of humans (and Burns) that some of that "swapping" was going to happen. We don't know anything about where these other humans have been living and so they may have more room? or access to a bigger space? Who knows... But Wanda did show them how to remove souls from humans, so they have the potential to have even more come to live with them. I think eventually space is going to become a problem.

I also wonder if finding these new humans, and wanting to interact with them, with draw everyone into more danger because they are more likely to come and go from the caves more often?

I don't know if there is going to be a big battle. SM chose to end Breaking Dawn without any violence, so I don't know if she'll chose a peaceful ending for this series or if she goes a different way?? I think she has to end it with some sort of finality though. Either there is a battle or the souls (most of them with a few exceptions, like Wanda) agreeing to release the Earth and moving on. There are definitely lots of questions about how this ending could possibly take place but I am trusting SM to come up with amazing ending! She's blwon me away so far and I think she'll have some great plan I can't even fathom...lol.

I have one more question to add, though: Wanda showed the humans (her humans) how to remove souls. Do you think they share their secret with the newcomers? Do you think Burns gets upset with Wanda for sharing such a secret? Do you think the humans start going out and capturing their loved one to try and remove the souls now? (Like Kyle did.) (Sorry if these are repeat questions someone has already asked...I'm new and tried to scroll thru to see if anyone already asked about this but I didn't see it anywhere...)

~Michelle

Thank you Naureen!!
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

1) Do you foresee the community in the caves moving? Going to look for another, bigger place to call home? They're going to need more room soon, especially if the new humans we met at the end of The Host are going to stay with Jeb and his "family." We already saw them sort of scraping the edges of their home with the addition of Wanderer, so it kind of seems inevitable, right?
I suppose they'll have to move eventually, though I have no idea where they might move to. A bigger cave? It might take them awhile to find one of those. I doubt the new humans will stay with Jeb. They have their own cave and moving into Jeb's would be a waste. Unless of course they were looking for a new cave for whatever reason. Why were they out walking around? I bet they're in league with the Seekers. "Act like rebels to catch the rebels and we'll let you live!" :?
2) Do you think that there will be a big battle for Earth at the end of the series? Or do you think the humans and the Souls will be able to live peacefully together somehow? Souls don't fight, but many of them have found Earth to be more of a home than any of the other worlds they've ever visited (Wanderer for instance). Would they be willing to fight for that now? And if they all (humans and Souls) give peace a go, how would that work? Would Souls that are already on Earth be fine, but no new Souls are introduced? Unless, of course, Souls give birth and implant new Souls into their children, I suppose. And would humans be willing to put aside the urge for revenge against the Souls if it meant they no longer had to fear for their own lives?
I really don't think there will be a battle. In order for that to happen there would have to be a more even human/soul ratio and I can't see that happening in a few years. Not when they're outnumbered a million to one right now. I think eventually the tables will have to be turned with the humans acting like the souls, having extraction facilities in their homes, and subtly taking back control.

But I don't think it will take long for the souls to figure out what's happening and some might fight back or just agree that humans are trickier than they gave them credit for and surrender. Especially since I can see the humans getting violent toward the souls as time goes on. Once there are more humans than souls, I think they will start treating the souls like the white people used to treat the black people and the Native Americans and the souls will probably just take Earth off of the list of planets that can be settled.
I have one more question to add, though: Wanda showed the humans (her humans) how to remove souls. Do you think they share their secret with the newcomers? Do you think Burns gets upset with Wanda for sharing such a secret? Do you think the humans start going out and capturing their loved one to try and remove the souls now?
I bet they probably will share the secret with the newcomers once they've established that they can be trusted. The whole point of Wanda sharing the secret in the first place is so that she could give humans their lives back so I don't see why she would have a problem with other people knowing how to do it.

I really don't think Burns will be upset with her. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he's already told his people how to do it. He's with them because he likes humans, obviously so I can see him wanting to save them just like Wanda. Although, he did seem kind of suspicious to me, so I dunno... e_O
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
BaylorBear12
Wandering Through Town

Post by BaylorBear12 »

Black, I never thought of the new humans as being bad, but it is definitely a possibility. I really hope not because I like the idea that there are more in the world that are surviving out there. I really don't think that it is possible for the human to live because even if they take the souls out the humans are gone and don't really respond unless they have been fighting mentally with the soul. It kind of seems like a waste of time to try, they should just try to get along or figure out how to get the mental abilities back after the soul has been there.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

BaylorBear12 wrote:Black, I never thought of the new humans as being bad, but it is definitely a possibility.
Neither have I until now. I suppose it would be unrealistic to believe that Jeb's family is the only clan of surviving humans, but I think I'm going to go back and read the last part of the book with the mindset that the new humans are bad. I'll get back to you and let you know what I come up with : )
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

You guys, I know what's going to happen in the sequels! I had a dream about it last night XD.

I was reading a book by SM and it had an epilogue for The Host. I'm surprised I can remember what it said because I've never been able to remember what I've read in a dream before.

Anyway, this is basically word for word:

"Jared and Mel's relationship built on superficial teenage love continued and when they got older they found a shack and turned it into a roadside inn."

"Kyle had a few curious children but not all of them necessarily survived. He didn't cultivate the land properly so most of them starved."

I kind of skimmed through Ian's part because I was running out of time. It said "Ian stayed sweet... " and then it said something about children and grandchildren but since I was only skimming I didn't catch it.
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I think a sequel would be good, but it might be a bit boring now that the main characters are happy. That sounds bad but there would be nothing to write a sequel about if everything was good. I think I'm okay with it being just one book at the moment.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I'm not! Don't say that. Don't give Steph any ideas.
I think plenty could happen. How many people do you know who stay happy forever?
-Jasper
Wishing for a Yellow 911 Turbo
Location: *England* Co-owning dumb hat with Ayan. Watching over y'all and making typos into words. XD

Post by -Jasper »

I suppose so, I think it was cut off at a good point. I wouldn't mind a sequel.
Team Rose | Jeninininini, The List | Tia - Twi-twin | Derek - Twi-Guy
cullenbaseball09
Settled in Forks

Post by cullenbaseball09 »

I really enjoyed The Host. In the beginning I was very confused, and nobody I know has read the book, so I had nobody to ask. But within a few chapters I understood, and the book was excellent. A sequel would be great!! :D :D
Tonight! Lightning strikes! Let's go into Twilight!
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Do you think there would be a midnight release party for a Host sequel?
I would totally go.