Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Lunna-san
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Just Ian

Post by Lunna-san »

I love Ian ! He's such a great guy! I think Edward, if he wasn't a vampire and all the problems and drama, would be like Ian. Very responsable, a bit hot tempered and overreacting. It was amazing how he went to comfort Lily when Wes died. And when he spent 3 days by Wanda's side when she discovered about the dead souls. He's defintely the type of guy who you can count with.
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

Bianca wrote:When Melanie and Jared meet, he is 26 and she is 17.
I think, that Wanda mentions that Melanie's body is 21 at the end of the story. (Am i right?)
So he must be 30 ??
Wow, that makes Ian 30, hooking up with Wanda who's in a 17 year old's body there at the end. whoa..i know, i know Wanda's actually like thousands of years old or something I just never actually thought about it I guess. oh well.....end of mankind kinda throws stigmas out the window i imagine :lol:

Anyway, Ian is amazing, I feel slightly less silly idolizing a fictional human than a fictional vampire ;) I actually believe there are Ian's out there...I have to...there must be hope.....right?
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
teeroxmuhsox
Wandering Through Town

Post by teeroxmuhsox »

midnight_fix wrote:Wow, that makes Ian 30, hooking up with Wanda who's in a 17 year old's body there at the end. whoa..i know, i know Wanda's actually like thousands of years old or something I just never actually thought about it I guess. oh well.....end of mankind kinda throws stigmas out the window i imagine :lol:

Anyway, Ian is amazing, I feel slightly less silly idolizing a fictional human than a fictional vampire ;) I actually believe there are Ian's out there...I have to...there must be hope.....right?

Of course there is hope. What else do we live for but for love?
I just wish it would come faster and sooner that later. It you were meant for someone, wouldn't you want to spen as much of your life as you can with them?

It's kind of funny how it The Host the girl(Wanda) is kinda immortal and in Twilight its the boy (Edward) It's almost complete role reversal in the two books. Anyone notice?

Lucky Ian, younger girl :D
tallperson
Settled in Forks

Post by tallperson »

grbnte wrote:Yes, Stephenie's writing abilities make all real men fall short now.
i agree - im gunna be single forever now until i find an ian !! :cry:
i hope ians are out there or im stuffed!!
i think what makes ian even more amazing than edward is the fact that he is human and has no super abilities!! i guess it makes a connection to everyone, as there is a chance that an ian could be out there.
'Jasper? What do vampires do for bachelor parties? You're not taking him to a strip club, are you?'
RussetRose♥
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by RussetRose♥ »

Ian is definately my favorite character. He's so charming and funny and sweet. How can you not love him!? :D

"Did you know, you're sort of beautiful?"
"You hit your head pretty hard, didn't you?"
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

I really, really liked Ian. He was like Edward, but more human, slightly more flawed, and with a SENSE OF HUMOR! That was what got me. My men need humor, which is why Edward just doesn't cut it (among other reasons).

Ian was really fun.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
SeverusSnape11221
Settled in Forks

Post by SeverusSnape11221 »

I love Ian! He actually seems like he could be a real guy! He's just so funny and sweet.
ImageImageImageEmmett Cullen Rocks!!<3
NYCBella
Settled in Forks

Post by NYCBella »

What is it with Stephenie and making up characters that make us all drool?

Well I don't know if I love him more than Edward, but it is a neck to neck tie. :D I am such a fan girl everytime they mentioned him in the book I just about shreiked! Lol. My heart started to flutter and my stomach would knot, wow, am I weird or what?! Lol. Don't answer that. Honestly Ian is amazing, he's one of my favorite male fictional characters, there are many up there but Ian is at the top of the list. :D
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

NYCBella wrote:What is it with Stephenie and making up characters that make us all drool?
You give them all positive qualities and try not to elaborate on the bad ones. You turn them into Stepford Husbands and make sure they say extremely sappy things that normal girls would normally burst out laughing at, then place them in sections where people are already emotional so they begin saying "I held you in my hand, and you were so beautiful" as though it were a good line instead of disgustingly lame.

:D
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

One thing I loved about Ian was that you just didn't expect him to be a romantic figure!
At first, from Melanie's memories, I really loved Jared. And when Ian and Kyle try to kill Wanda, I was like "NOO! YOU SUCK! :o " But later when Jared and the others go out for a raid, I loved how Ian really realized that he was wrong about Wanda. When Ian started doing all these things for Wanda, I was like "Awww... Ian."

He also loved Wanda even though she was a 'parasite' and could never be human. He didn't want to let her go because he loved her so much! Everythime I think about it my heart just lurches. I like die when Ian says "You. Are. Not. Leaving. Me." And my favorite quote EVER in this book is when he says "I held you in my hand, Wanderer, and you were so beautiful." I just get chills. Because he saw the real Wanda for the first time and he still loved her in that form.

And that whole part where "Good or bad?" part was FANTASTIC too.

I also thought that it was really cute and I kept feeling bad for him when he couldn't overwhelm Wanda like Jared did. And also Ian is really strong and good looking which just makes me squeal like a fangirl!!!

Okay, wow, I just noticed how long this post is so sorry! Sometimes I can rant and rave like an idiot.

In a nutshell: I just LOVE Ian for many, many reasons and it's SO HARD to list them all. : )

Love,
*Wanderer*
Last edited by *Wanderer* on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.