Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Jared and Mel

Post by Alphie »

Use this area to talk about the relationship of Jared and Mel - the difficulties of thinking they lost the person they loved and where they might go from here.
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Jared and Mel

Post by *Bloodlust* »

Since there doesn't appear to be just a "Just Jared" thread, I'll rant a little bit about him here. I didn't like Jared. At all. With most characters that I find myself not liking, i.e. Jake, I can find qualities to redeem them and can come to not dislike them at all. With Jared, from the very beginning, I couldn't stand him! That very first encounter with Mel when he was ready to kill her, something in my just instantly hated him and it never wore off. Not even when Wanda found herself in love with him[thanks to Mel]. I couldn't stand him. He holds both the negative characteristics of Edward and Jacob, needless to say is a VERY BAD thing.

Now, his and Mel's relationship: Overall, I don't really like Mel either. Sometimes, I find I can tolerate her and verge on something of like[her sarcasm is hilarious], but never truly like her. So to me....her and Jared belong together. They both have that "exterior toughness" and roughness and pulls them together. They've been through so much, what with being the last humans on earth, that they are truly destined for one another. I may not like their characters, but it's hard to find two people who belong together more than Mel and Jared[In the realm of The Host-verse anyway :P ]
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Hmmm yea i understand about Jared i don't know i me and him just didn't click. lol but i understand him. he thought his love was lost and there was only Wanderer inside of Mel's body. I mean i would act the same way at first i believe the ask know and maybe ask questions later.

But i loved Mel she was amazing a stubborn smart a** lol who has a kind heart and would do anything for the ones she loves.

I have never been in love never close but i can imagine the pain that can happen when you loose a loved one. so i am happy they were able to be with eachother again.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
twilightluver27
Settled in Forks

Post by twilightluver27 »

I sort of understand Jared's pov because I mean there were aliens taking over his home planet. He was part of the resistance and so was the girl he loved. He didn't want Melanie to go by herself but she wanted someone to take care of Jamie and she probably didn't want him in danger. Then a while later after they thought she was dead or they knew something happend she comes back and he finds out one of the aliens taking over Earth is inside her. Of course he's going to get mad and furious but he still shouldn't have reacted violently the way he did and he still protected her against everyone trying to hurt her.

I felt bad for Melanie because her body was taken over but she was still aware of everything which I think made it harder. She got to see her family again but she couldn't be with them like she wanted to because they didn't know she was there. Her family thought she was some alien and so she was shunned.
ImageImage
2awesome4u
Settled in Forks

Post by 2awesome4u »

in the first part of the book, in Melanie's memories, I loved Jared. but when i actually met him, he was such a jerk! i guess slowly i kind of got to like him, but when he kissed Wanda (the last time, before she got removed form Mel) i HATED HIM!!!!!! HE SAID HE LOVED WANDA!!!!! HE LOVES MEL!!! i got so MAD at him… :evil: even if they are in the same body, i still see that as cheating. I never really grew very fond of Jared, and at the end of the book when he kissed Wanda, it kind of ruined me for him. I guess he's still OK, but i still really dont like him for doing that.
i liked Mel soo much more than Jared. She was very funny, and I could relate to her more than Wanda, since she's human, I guess, but more like me. I think it's interesting how SM put to completely different people, Wanda being peaceful and kind and Melanie, being somewhat violent and… well, not really cold, but less open than Wanda.
I can definitely relate to Mel more, since she's closer to me on the spectrum of extremes ;)

as for Melanie/Jared, they are completely perfect for each other, like Ian and Wanda.

I really need to stop writing such loooooooong posts :roll:
Why should we date?
Because we are attracted to each other.
I'm attracted to pie, yet I do not feel the need to date pie.
ilovespaceheaters
Wandering Through Town

Post by ilovespaceheaters »

I really loved Jared in Melanie's memories but then when Wanda and Mel came back I was like YOU SUCK!

Haha. He kind of reminded me of Jake when he turned into a werewolf. The whole new face thing. Haha.

I felt so sorry for Wanda when she fell in love with Jared. It was so pointless for her.

"Go fetch a space heater."

[22.8.08] Best day of my life.

ManSpice
*Bloodlust*
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by *Bloodlust* »

ilovespaceheaters wrote:I felt so sorry for Wanda when she fell in love with Jared. It was so pointless for her.
Yeah, it really was. Worse so because Jared saw his Melanie and was messing with Wanda's mind. Even worse still, things were left awkward and confusing in the end. Sad, sad situation.
WARNING: EDWARD CULLEN IS NOT EFFECTIVE BIRTH CONTROL! E<3B
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

For me, i absolutely LOVED this relationship. So strong, so passionate, and so dependent on the other. Although their relationship seemed to have been formulated fast, to me it was one of those things you can't explain, can't find unless you're truly lucky. A true soulmate

To be honest, i was not shocked at all at Jared's reaction to Melanie's return. In many ways, i think it was logical. Jared was not fighting again Mel, but the alien that had taken over her. Remember, at this point in the story he didn't know Wanderer the way we did. We already formulating our opinion on her and she showed up to him during that time. For me i could understand the inner turmoil Jared was enduring; losing someone you so desperately love to an invasion that is almost beyond you're own control- you're helpless against it. It's no wonder why Jared would want to kill Wanderer- not Mel, WANDERER, because to him she had taken part of his soul from him, Mel.

I really just couldn't get mad at jared, especially after seeing him be so protective over Wanderer- he didn't let anyone touch her and was willing to die for her. He wanted to keep Mel with him, but would not consider the fact that she was still alive though he knew it subconsciously. Even though he was so against Wanderer, he knew there was hope, and in that hope he did everything he could to get his true love back.

I really enjoyed their relationship, especially from Mel's POV. Sure we didn't get her whole mindset, but we got enough to know how strong her devotion to Jared was; it's what kept her alive. And to me, the kind of relationship that keeps you alive even on the brink of death is the most beautiful love there is...
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
jaspercookie

Post by jaspercookie »

*Bloodlust* wrote:Since there doesn't appear to be just a "Just Jared" thread, I'll rant a little bit about him here. I didn't like Jared. At all. With most characters that I find myself not liking, i.e. Jake, I can find qualities to redeem them and can come to not dislike them at all. With Jared, from the very beginning, I couldn't stand him! That very first encounter with Mel when he was ready to kill her, something in my just instantly hated him and it never wore off. Not even when Wanda found herself in love with him[thanks to Mel]. I couldn't stand him. He holds both the negative characteristics of Edward and Jacob, needless to say is a VERY BAD thing.
I completely agree. I hated Jared. Bleh! He's Stephenie's worst character. I liked the psycho Victoria more, and I'm not even exaggerating.
piemurmom2
Settled in Forks

Post by piemurmom2 »

I actually felt a lot of sympathy for Jared. In the beginning, I have no clue why he was protecting her from Kyle & the rest. At first I thought it was just because he was basically a good person, who did not like harming other creatures. BUt the fact that they continue to bring back Souls from the raids, sorta cancels that one out. I can only figure it's because she is Melanie (kinda), and he needs to get used to the idea that she isn't before he can agree to dispose of her. He has been thrown into the role of providing for the community. He is always under a lot of stress keeping the group fed. His thieving with Melanie & Jamie, was miniscule to the undertaking of supporting a colony of 37. I don't think he ever really separated Wanda from Melanie. It was always Melanie to him. The Ian/Wanda relationship was just a strange anomoly for him. I don't think he ever really accepted that it meant anything.