Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

The Ending?

Post by Alphie »

Did you see this ending coming or were you expecting something else?

And how do you feel about Wanda in a new body? How does it change the way you think Ian and Wanda will work as a couple? How about Jared and Mel? Or the rest of the people, for that matter, working with an alien?
Miss Vengeance
Wandering Through Town

Re: The Ending?

Post by Miss Vengeance »

The ending was definitely unexpected. From the description of Wanda's new body I couldn't help but imagine Ian dating a girl in a 12-year old's body. Needless to say, I felt really awkward about it. But Ian had always said that he would love Wanda no matter what she looked like, so maybe it'll just take him some getting used to in regards of her new body.

As for Jared and Mel: I think it will affect Mel in a way. I mean, she's already shared a body with Wanda and has formed a strong bond with her. I think it's just a matter of her getting used to Wanda's new body. Jared I think will have a bit of a tougher time, but I feel like he'll work through it. He's probably just thankful that he got Mel back.
eternitys_charm
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by eternitys_charm »

I definately was not expecting the ending, at all.
I was surprised by what happened.
The way Wanda described her new body seemed to tick me off a bit, she seemed too delicate, but maybe thats just because I got use to Melanie being extremely tough.
I'm glad Ian got his Wanda back, I thought it was adorable the way he loved her even though she wasn't human, but to him he didn't care much at all.
Jared and Melanie deserved their happy ending so I'm glad they got it.
As for the other "humans" out there in the world was extremely shocking to me, I thought Uncle Jeb's "humans" were the only ones out there.
All in all I thought the ending was great!!
Banner and avie made by me for my story.
Please Read it: http://twilightarchives.com/viewstory.p ... 40&index=1
Iris Messenger
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Iris Messenger »

i agree with eternetys_charm ...
The way Wanda described her new body seemed to tick me off a bit, she seemed too delicate, but maybe thats just because I got use to Melanie being extremely tough.
i mean, her body did seem to fit her gentle and delicate personality — but i also saw wanda as a strong character too.

i thought the ending was quite good; it left room to go back and explore that reality if stephenie chose, or it made a satisfying conclusion if that is the last book in that setting.
http://portabellaswan.wordpress.com/ <--- fanfiction/twilight blog
http://twilightirc.wordpress.com/ <--- twilight chat
click on banner for graphics gallery

banner and avatar made by me: i take requests
mlola619
Fishing with Charlie

Post by mlola619 »

Miss Vengeance wrote:The ending was definitely unexpected. From the description of Wanda's new body I couldn't help but imagine Ian dating a girl in a 12-year old's body. Needless to say, I felt really awkward about it. But Ian had always said that he would love Wanda no matter what she looked like, so maybe it'll just take him some getting used to in regards of her new body.

As for Jared and Mel: I think it will affect Mel in a way. I mean, she's already shared a body with Wanda and has formed a strong bond with her. I think it's just a matter of her getting used to Wanda's new body. Jared I think will have a bit of a tougher time, but I feel like he'll work through it. He's probably just thankful that he got Mel back.

Agreed. Although i must admit i hated the fact that Wanda is in a stinkin' 12-year old's body, they really didn't have much to choose from. I'm sure they would've all been happy to knock out some girl who was around the same age as Mel and put Wanda in- but if Wanda ever found out that would be disastrous, so i was pleased that they put it into consideration to get Wanda a host body that had no hope anyway.
Cause I've been waiting for a miracle, and i'm not leaving...
missjulie
Settled in Forks

Post by missjulie »

I should have stopped reading before the last chapter, when it just fades to black. Its like watching 'AI' and NOT turning it off at the Blue Fairy. Its an OK ending, but the original ending (in this case before she wakes up in a new body) leaves me pondering human existence more. The happy ending kind of ruined the philosophy of the book for me. :?
Iris Messenger

Post by Iris Messenger »

missjulie wrote:I should have stopped reading before the last chapter, when it just fades to black. Its like watching 'AI' and NOT turning it off at the Blue Fairy. Its an OK ending, but the original ending (in this case before she wakes up in a new body) leaves me pondering human existence more. The happy ending kind of ruined the philosophy of the book for me. :?
I almost agree, though where it sort of fades to black was where I was lying with the book and staring at the blank pages crying harder than I normally cry for books. I think either ending would have worked, but I'm glad Wanda -did- survive.

bethrose
Settled in Forks

Post by bethrose »

she wasn't in a 12 year old's body. she was sixteen going on seventeen. and she was really weak because her muscles started to atrophy because they waited so long to see if there was "anybody" there to claim the body. remember jodi and how she never came back so they put sunny back in. so that was why she was so weak. but, her body was small because she was young. anyway, i loved the ending. i really thought that was the end and i cried like a baby and was totally shocked when there was more to read. then after, i was like "that's so stephanie, she's such a happy ending person"
Iris Messenger

Post by Iris Messenger »

that's what it thought, that she was sixteen — and then people here were like "she's stuck in a 12 year old's body ..."

anyway, i was wondering why she was so weak though. good point, bethrose!

bethrose
Settled in Forks

Post by bethrose »

THANKS, i don't know about you, but i'm 26 and my body is definetly "bigger" than when i was 16. she'll grow into it as she ages, start to fill out etc.