Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: The Ending?

Post by roseaurora »

I was looking forward to Wanda dying and a epilogue of Mel being with Jared but remembering Wanda, like a part of her was still alive. Seemed to be the natural end of the story to me.

But, it seems SM can't write a tragedy or a story without a perfect ending for all her characters.

Wanda did not want to be a parasite any longer and yet there she is, back in a human body and okay with it... seemed off to me...

Despite that, I actually did enjoy it, a lot! I was just taken aback a bit by the ending and I think the story lost a lot of depth with the ending as it is.

And I also thought it was odd that Wanda's new body was described like a baby... but she was 17...
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Ractor
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Ractor »

Its a good ending if the story line isnt ending. Finding more groups exist out there was just a matter of time, Humans just dont give up that easy, even in the face of total annialation(sp). Remeber that Wanda didnt choose her body, it was choosen for her by her friends. They did their best to make sure she wasnt destroying another life, and her body would be weak no matter what since Souls dont like to excersis, but in time she may build it up again to a bit stronger form but she will never be as strong as mel is because she is a small starting point.
Ractor - Proud Twiguy
Chef for Team Alice- Because sometimes it is better to be small.
Gino Dartino "Dart"- Twilight Mafia
(forth Line NINJA)
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

Wanda could have died and they still could have found other survivors.

The book could have ended with Wanda going under and dying. Then, the epilogue could have been of Mel and Jared and them all preparing for a raid and then have the same thing happen, where the other group ambushes them and then reveals themselves as humans. Jared and them would all be more understanding of Burns than any other group had been and mentioned Wanda. And at the end, there could have been something with Ian at site where Wanda was buried....

It just seemed like Wanda had made up her mind, she didn't want to be a parasite and she didn't want to leave Earth. It's off to me that she would be alright with them putting her in another body, regardless of whether the original human host was still present or not. Just seemed too easy for everyone to get what they wanted, with no sacrifice....Hmmmmm... kind of sounds like BD....

Anyway, I still love the story. Its SM's story and she ended it the way she saw it, its her's after all. Lol.
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
Marcela
Settled in Forks

Post by Marcela »

Honestly, I didn't see the ending coming. But I was hoping that Stephenie Meyers was still a fan of happy endings and that I'd like the ending :lol: I was happily surprised at the end.
LeechesRule95
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by LeechesRule95 »

İ kında dıdnt lıke the fact that Wanderer had the body of lıke a teenager... I mean they could have found someone ınnocent lookıng but one that was only a lıttle bıt younger than them... IDK ıt doesnt matter much though because she ends up together wıth Ian anyway... :)

I was thınkıng that sm was actually goıng to make wanda dıe! And ı was super pıssed and cryıng... but then ı saw that only a few pages after, there was another chapter! I was jumpımg up and down...

TRAINEE OF E.D.C.!!!!!!!!!

I <3 BLUE BLOODS ALMOST AS MUCH AS TWILIGHT! ( i said almost!)
DudeRocksTheTwilight
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: Chugging the postahol. On MSN, most likely. Tieing Sarah in thunderball.

Post by DudeRocksTheTwilight »

I liked the ending.
It was really good.

It made me feel that there was a shred of hope left in the books, and that maybe everyone in Jeb's household can survive. I hope there's a sequel, because I want to know more about Burns and the other humans.
Al Puccini of the Mafia, Santiago of Volturi, Major Peter of JCA, EDC Bulldozer Trainee, APPC Host Jenni - TwiGirl
StupendousYappi
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by StupendousYappi »

I'm surprised no one else has posted this idea. I hit the 3/4 mark of the book and asked myself where this could possibly wind up, and I hit on two ideas:
1) Wanda has herself removed from Melanie's body, and somehow (willingly or no) winds up in another human's body. Happy endings galore: Jared gets Mel, Ian gets Wanda, etc. The author went to great lengths to point out that there are plenty of host-possessed humans walking around who just don't exist as people any more, so that indicated that finding a host for Wanda in good conscience wouldn't be too hard. I was glad but not surprised when it went this direction.

2) More outlandish, this idea didn't hit me until somewhat later in the book. Given the author has also pointed out repeatedly that humans who know what's going to happen when a soul implants tend to stay "present" in the mind after a host implants, and given the amazing bond that Wanda and Ian forged that was more the love between two personalities rather than between two bodies, I suspected that Ian would stage some kind of hostile takeover of the cave's hospital and force the doctor to implant Wanda in HIMSELF (Ian). Assuming that Ian's persona made it through the implantation, it would be the ultimate union of Wanda and Ian, make for all sorts of dramatic problems to be overcome, he will have willingly given Wanda a body (so no guilt), and that would make for all sorts of possibilities in later books. Risky but interesting.
SweetImpakt
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by SweetImpakt »

DudeRocksTheTwilight wrote:I liked the ending.
It was really good.

It made me feel that there was a shred of hope left in the books, and that maybe everyone in Jeb's household can survive. I hope there's a sequel, because I want to know more about Burns and the other humans.
Yes I completely agree. I really liked the ending too. I really don't like unhappy ending so I'm really glad Stephenie ended it the way she did. It would have been really stupid if Wanda really did go away.

I too am hoping for a sequel. I hope she writes a sequel and she really planned on it but didn't she also put it on hold because of the Midnight sun leaking thing?
I would like to know about the other household too!

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Hyvanna
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Hyvanna »

I was happy Wanda got a new body was Sooooooo hopeing for that.. You all are all Ian hatters anit ya sayin she should have died Ian was my fav carater :D an yans wanted to kill of his love !Sham On You! :cry: (That is only pointed at those who think Wanda should have died cause i know there is lots -n- lots of Ian fans ;)

I was a mess after readin Twilight saga then the Host jeezy SM loves her tear jerkers but happy tears too.
To find other humans was good too and for them to have their own alien helper was verry awesome loved that part.. so fave quot of the book for me is what the redhead says"They've got one of their own" :D
Aradia
Wandering Through Town
Location: Trying to think of a way to enter into my books...where I can have the perfect guy!

Post by Aradia »

roseaurora wrote: It just seemed like Wanda had made up her mind, she didn't want to be a parasite and she didn't want to leave Earth. It's off to me that she would be alright with them putting her in another body, regardless of whether the original human host was still present or not. Just seemed too easy for everyone to get what they wanted, with no sacrifice....Hmmmmm... kind of sounds like BD.....

I totally understand this. But I guess what you have to keep in my mind is that Wanda had no choice in the matter. She was prepared to die and stay on earth. She didn't know what the humans were doing after she went away. So we can't really fault her on that. (Not that I'm saying you are) I mean, it seemed like Doc was going to follow her wishes but getting a knife held to your throat, well I'd changed my mind pretty easy too. Also, if I remember correctly, she wasn't pleased at first to find out that they put her into a new body. She told them that, but after not finding anyone else in that body and having everyone there for her....well you can't blame her for changing her mind and wanting to stay with the people she loves. I know I would! :lol:
Yes, it did seem that the main characters had no sacrifice, but if you look into the story more...then you can find that all the main characters sacrificed something.

I think the thing that made me the most upset was when Wes died. Just when Lily and Wes were finally getting together. I'm just a sappy romantic, and seening that Lily lost her love made me sad, and pissed off. I just wish she could of killed off Brandt or someone that had no one...but then again that's where those sacrifices come in at.

Jace Lightwood, Edward Cullen, Ian O'Shea, and Jasper Cullen.....these are the only men I need in my life!