Discussion of the novel, The Host

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Re: The Host -- Q&A

Post by deven »

yeah you can most deffinately tell her affection for the desert! i think they went to seattle at one point didnt they?

and i think that all romances can be viewed as similar because they are all romances. but yeah both do seem to have a kinda forbiddenness to them
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

And about the whole "forbidden romance" thing, did you guys notice that in both The Host and in Twilight that both the main characters are in love with two people? I wasn't the one who noticed this (my English teacher did.) Bella in Twilight is in love with both Edward and Jacob and is feeling very conflicted about it, and Wanderer in The Host is in love with both Ian and Jared. That seems to be a parallel. Have you guys noticed this at all?

*Wanderer*
deven

Post by deven »

oh yeah! i know! stephenie is big on love triangles.
wanda
Settled in Forks

Post by wanda »

I haven't really noticed this until you guys mentioned it. but I do now notice a smilarity between Doc and Carslise, Kyle and Emmett, Jamie and Alice-in a way, and I also kind of thought Bella and Wanda are a little similar. I like Wanda a lot better though. I think Bella can't really decide how she should cope with her life, but Wanda can and she wants to help others. But they definitly do both like 2 different people.

I think that it would make a lot of sense for the two books to be similar because they're both written by SM. I noticed how she likes to write about love triangles, but frankly I like reading about them. :P

I'm not sure if I would want there to be a sequel though. I mean I really liked the book and all, but sometimes it's just nice to have a book that doesn't keep going, even though you want it to, does that make sense? I really think that The Host is just one of those books that shouldn't go on because it might ruin everything. I'm not really sure there could be much to write about after The Host anyway...
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I wanna know why Jared moved away from Wanda when she started laughing hysterically at his eating Cheetos. I'd like to think that it was because he was super freaked out but some people like to think that he was being noble- realizing that what he was doing was stupid and childish. But that wouldn't explain the staying away. What do you think?
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
slightlyobsessed
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: Joining a 15-Step Program for those who make unseemly comments on Rob Pattinson's Thread...

Post by slightlyobsessed »

Black wrote:I wanna know why Jared moved away from Wanda when she started laughing hysterically at his eating Cheetos. I'd like to think that it was because he was super freaked out but some people like to think that he was being noble- realizing that what he was doing was stupid and childish. But that wouldn't explain the staying away. What do you think?
I think I'm in the Jared's-Being-Noble camp. It's got to be a royal mind bender to treat the body of the woman you love any worse than you typically would. If it had been Mel he would have given her anything and everything he had. But it was just her body. Despite this, it was HER body, and HER laugh.

I don't have the book next to me, but wasn't Wanderer even a little confused by the laughter? Seems like an un-soul thing to do, laugh. Hearing that laughter might have affected Jared the same way it affected Wanderer.
ImageImage
OFFICIAL ROBNAPPER LEGAL REPRESENTATION
APPC: Shopaholic
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Wanderer was confused by the laughing because she knew that there was nothing really to laugh about.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
mom26ks
Wandering Through Town

Post by mom26ks »

I just finished the Host. I immediately got into it. Ask me to explain it to someone and I am at a loss for words. So many things go on in the beginning, kinda like the Twilight series. How do you explain it to someone without going into details? I often thought what an incredible mind Stephanie Meyers has as I read it. Every book she has written has been undescribably incredible. Working at a book store I tend to push the books I read. Twilight, Twilight and now The Host. I have read her excerpts on her site I have devored any and all knowledge of what she has written. I really recommend the host. I like Ian by the way, the Jacob kind of guy. Funny because I am totally team Edward. You really end up wanting a way to have the wandered live outside of Melanie.

I am rather depressed now. I have nothing left to read by Stephanie. I have read and re-read the Twilight Series and now the Host. Looking forward to ANYTHING stephanie writes because you know it will be good.
s69.photobucket.com/albums/i47/len...
*Wanderer*
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by *Wanderer* »

wanda wrote:I'm not sure if I would want there to be a sequel though. I mean I really liked the book and all, but sometimes it's just nice to have a book that doesn't keep going, even though you want it to, does that make sense? I really think that The Host is just one of those books that shouldn't go on because it might ruin everything. I'm not really sure there could be much to write about after The Host anyway...
Yes, it makes perfect sense. I also feel that way. The Host is just this flawless book by itself, and it doesn't really need a sequel. The Host is just perfect without one. And it leaves this... mysteriousness to it. I feel like I'm not explaining myself right....

But if there is a sequel, I don't think that everything would be ruined. I mean, if it was written by Stephenie, it would still be perfect. How could Stephenie write something not-perfect?

Love,
*Wanderer*
deven

Post by deven »

books should be left with out sequels just like with movies...but i really really want one..i like series way better...and i feel like they would be good!