Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
lady4string

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by lady4string »

MS also made me love Alice that much more. I just want to reach into the book and give her a big hug, but it made me more wary of Rosalie and Jasper.

It fits that Edward seems like a love-struck 13 year old. This is his first love and he's going through all the typical first-timer stuff.
Asheleyo
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Asheleyo »

lady4string wrote:MS also made me love Alice that much more. I just want to reach into the book and give her a big hug, but it made me more wary of Rosalie and Jasper.
Really? I thought Rosalie was laughably egotistical. And I thought better of Jasper after MS. I mean, sure, he has problems at the beginning of it with daydreaming about killing the girl in the cafeteria. But it's hard for him. I love the part when they're being bodyguards the first day Edward decides to come back and Jasper makes a mental note of how irritating it is and now Edward knows how he feels. Poor Jasper, he's just stuck in everyone else's emotions and can't get around the lifetime of war he endured.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Angelvamp

Post by Angelvamp »

Asheleyo wrote:Really? I thought Rosalie was laughably egotistical. And I thought better of Jasper after MS. I mean, sure, he has problems at the beginning of it with daydreaming about killing the girl in the cafeteria. But it's hard for him. I love the part when they're being bodyguards the first day Edward decides to come back and Jasper makes a mental note of how irritating it is and now Edward knows how he feels. Poor Jasper, he's just stuck in everyone else's emotions and can't get around the lifetime of war he endured.
I feel the same way about Rosalie. I guess it just proves that immortality doesn't guarantee maturity. And I really like that we get to see a positive side of Jasper, it seems that his character is not really explored like the others. He really has a lot more to him. And it's nice that he seems to be thinking positively about Edward's predicament, unlike Rosalie and Emmett. Maybe because of Alice rubbing off on him? She is cute as a button! :)
"Life is pain...anyone who tells you different is selling something."
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

I guess what made me wary about Jasper and Rosalie is that they were talking about taking Bella out in her sleep. She seemed so casual about it. Taking out an innocent girl seemed like no biggie. :( Yep, Rosalie seems even more immature than ever in MS. I knew she was vain, but geez! I had no idea it was to that level. LOL
Asheleyo

Post by Asheleyo »

lady4string wrote:I guess what made me wary about Jasper and Rosalie is that they were talking about taking Bella out in her sleep. She seemed so casual about it. Taking out an innocent girl seemed like no biggie. :( Yep, Rosalie seems even more immature than ever in MS. I knew she was vain, but geez! I had no idea it was to that level. LOL
Well, in that scene, I can understand where Jasper is coming from. He doesn't want to kill Bella out of malice, but he feels she's a huge threat to all of them, including his precious Alice. He's trained to take out threats, eliminate them. He's a military guy. But what's good about him is he can be convinced with logic and proof that what he thought was necessary is indeed not.

Rosalie just wanted the easiest path out so that they could get back to the way she liked things as soon as possible. All she cares about is things going her way. She cares about her family too, but her main motivating factor is herself. My favorite characterization of her is that short that SM wrote from her perspective in New Moon. When she's feeling guilty for calling Edward and then gets spooked by a sound, sees her reflection, growls at it, and thinks about how attractive anger looks on her face. It cracks me up! And then you actually see that Rosalie does care about Edward thinks of him as a brother. But her selfishness makes me laugh most of the time.
Precisely because death awaits us in the end, we must live fully.

Stars did fly toward each other, irresistibly, as if they were falling in love. And millions of years later, lovers on Earth drew together and fell in love, watching the stars fall.
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

lady4string: I LOVE your avatar! That is the cutest little thing I have seen.

Yeah, that is my favorite short on SM's site, when Rosalie growls at herself and thinks the growl is lovely. LOL over that one. I think that one of the changes that will take place in Midnight Sun will be the change in Rosalie. She is a little too vain in the current version, and she made such a wonderful character in BD (the "You got food in my hair" is constantly quoted around our house) that I hope she comes out as a fuller, more fun character when all is said and done. I really want to get into the heads of the siblings and parents more in MS. Loved those wonderful insights as well.

Both Edward and Jasper simply come across as vampires to me. Jasper is like the perfect vampire warrior predator who wants to protect what he loves. I think he went through the second most change in the series (besides Edward) because he comes to demand more from himself.
Kachina888
Settled in Forks

Post by Kachina888 »

I wish Stephanie would develop a 'continuous' story instead of going back over the same story-line through Edward's point of view. After reading all the Twilight Series I found I wanted more!!

Let me Tell you World!!! This is NOT JUST FOR TEENS! I love Stephanie's work! JUST HOPE SHE IS ENCOURAGED TO WRITE A NEW BOOK. The story-line could go in so many more directions....

SEQUELS, STEPHANIE... This is one story that could go on for years to come!
Break The Chains That Bind You~
~Kachina~
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

She's already said that Midnight Sun will be the only retelling of a novel from Edward's PoV.

Though she might put something up on her website for Edward's PoV for a certain portion of New Moon.
JazpersGrl

Post by JazpersGrl »

I love Alice in MS. Can I talk to her yet? Can I talk to her yet? LOL!! Plus, you can understand some of the expressions and mysterious responses in the movie.
For example, in the movie, when Edward and Bella are sitting out by the lake/river thing, they were talking about Edward and Alice's powers and Bella says "I bet she saw me coming." And Edward gets really angry and says "Alice's visions are subjective. I mean, the future can always change." (By the way, yes I am that obsessed that I can quote that scene by heart.) We now know it's because Alice saw Bella either dead or a vampire.
Also, and this one is my favorite. When they come out of the greenhouse, Alice comes up behind Edward and Bella and asks if Bella is riding with us. I can just imagine the excitement going on in her head, "I got to talk to her!!" Then Edward says
"No, our bus is full." They pan back to Alice and the look of disappointment on her face is almost heartbreaking. Edward just crushed all her hopes and dreams. :(
But, anyways, it's really cool to be able to understand. I would really like to understand the rest. *wink wink* *nudge nudge*
FanFiction.Net Account
Alice's Party Planning Committee: Ultimate Bouncer
Jasper's Army: Ruby Slaughter
LNL Dogpound Cullenist
Danica
Wandering Through Town

Post by Danica »

i love midnight sun. even in those few chapters it makes twilight more complete. i will admit i was scared to read it as i was worried how much it would change the novel that i love so much. i fled from Stephanie site and hid under my pillow going lah lah lah lah lah. but i had to face the inevitable (yet again sorry for the spelling). what can i say i'm weak. i held out all of err... 3 minutes... including the time it took my prehistoric computer to finally decide it was going to work, after many threats of deep water if i saw the blue screen of death one more time. i guess it really didnt want to sleep with da fishies :mrgreen: cause it even let me load the pages with out its usual hazzely scream of protest.

but i love these chapters. i love having a deeper look into the cullen family network. i love seeing alot more of the personalities of the characters that you wouldnt see through anyone else less gifted :) more of personalities of the characters that was lost through editing.

i was one of those that though.... him edwards view.... of the same book.... hmmmm. but i really really cannot put into words how much this makes twilight a fuller and richer book. as impossible as that may seem.

my favourate bit had to be where he was thinking about sectioning bella and planing to visits.

i'm just a little upset that it stopped just before the questioning and the meadow scene. i would have liked to see what edward would make of her favourate stone being topaz :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...
watch out the green imp is about....