Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Jazz Girl »

MidnightSun wrote:HeY guys and gals

I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me.... so in Stephenie Meyer's site it says
June 2008 Update: In response to the outrageous number of emails that I have received with questions concerning Midnight Sun, I talked to Stephenie this weekend and she asked me to let everyone know that Midnight Sun is her next project.She has not yet finished writing it (and there is no timeline set up, so we all need to put a lot of effort into being patient for a while longer), but she is definitely still planning on having it published. And, after Breaking Dawn comes out, Stephenie will have much more time to focus on writing Midnight Sun.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/midnightsun.html

but the letter where Stephenie states that she wasn't sure when she was going to pick it back up was written in August 2008 so I'm kinda trying not to jump the gun like I really want to!!! just wondering if anyone had any definite news either way
Simplest explanation: The June "update" was written prior to the leak, while she was still working on it and it was still completely her intention to end The Saga with MS. But, the August "update" was post-leak, after she couldn't and didn't want to deal with MS because of the betrayal she felt. I believe her quote was, "If I finished it right now, James would kill all the Cullens and he and Bella would ride off into the sunset together." (I'm paraphrasing). So, keep your hopes, but maybe put them on the 2nd or 3rd floor vs the 10th or 11th.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
MidnightSun
Settled in Forks

Post by MidnightSun »

Thank you clpviolet and Jazz Girl...

I kind of thought something along those lines but I never knew she totally intended to finish the Saga with MS. Now I am ridiculously upset and extremely infuriated with the person who leaked it- we were literally (probably) halfway there!
Now I also understand why some people I felt at the time 'over reacted' at the thought of not knowing when or if the book would ever come out.
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

I have to tell you all, while I do think it's a huge letdown that MS may never get completed, if the leak had never happened I would have never found a little thing called fanfiction.

I got so antsy after finishing the 12 chapters available when I read them in November, that I googled "Midnight Sun conclusion", and happened upon several sources for fan written stories. I had never heard of fanfiction before then. So, for the blessing of that discovery, I am grateful.

However, would I trade it for Ms. Meyer never ever writing about her vampires again?? NEVER!
That would be a tragedy and I hope she makes her way back to the mythology she created someday soon.

Second thing, when do you think is the EXACT moment that Edward fell in love with Bella? I do not mean the moment that he realized he was feeling this thing called love. No, I mean when is the moment it happened? When did he fall? I wanna hear your thoughts!!
Thanks, Ginnie
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Ginnie~ I think it was quite literally love at first sight. We know that he found her physically fairly ordinary at first glance. But, we also know that he had the urge to protect her (from Jessica's snide and unkind thoughts) almost immediately. He was, at the very least very intrigued by the opposition of her spoken thoughts, quiet mind and body language. Yes, once they hit Biology and her scent assaulted him, he tried to convince himself that he hated her. But, he didn't. He hated what she made him feel...vulnerable. Those who mean nothing to you do not make you vulnerable.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

A very excellent point, Jazz!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Yes, Jazz, that's a good analysis. If we were to discuss when he knew.....Well, I agree he is consciously intrigued by her early on. I love this quote: "I was not used to being the less intuitive of any pairing." (p. 44) wow.

Before reading MS, I knew one of the attractions was that he didn't know what she was thinking. This "exception" to his special power actually allows him to get to know a person through the give and take of conversation and experience. It is a gift to him, really. He totally misses out on that in all of his other relationships. Even though we often think of the advantages of being able to read thoughts, think of the disadvantage in terms of building a relationship - there is a lack of process. I'd love to hear what you all think about this. (You've probably discussed this to death on other threads in the past, but I wasn't here yet, so indulge me!!)
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie~ Yes, there is a definite difference between when he falls and when he knows. I also definitely believe there is absolutely deepening and intensifying after he initially starts to fall in love with her. As he learns about her, his love grows.

As for Edward's mindreading and its effect on his relationships, I think that's definitely true. Bella's mystery, the fact that she challenges him, is a huge factor in what draws him in deeper. I honestly never really looked at it as a complete advantage for him. It is, at least in part, a major factor in the superiority complex he has with humans. And, it handicaps him in a lot of situations.
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Jazz Girl wrote: As for Edward's mindreading and its effect on his relationships, I think that's definitely true. Bella's mystery, the fact that she challenges him, is a huge factor in what draws him in deeper. I honestly never really looked at it as a complete advantage for him. It is, at least in part, a major factor in the superiority complex he has with humans. And, it handicaps him in a lot of situations. [/color]
Caryn - Good point about his superiority complex as well as the handicap. Teacher, can you give me an example of a time when it was a handicap? I know there are many, but all I'm thinking of right now is that it makes it hard for him to control his temper, like in Port Angeles.
Jazz Girl

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie~ Well, Edward talks often about the voices in his head being a distraction or being a vulnerability, for instance when he responds to someone's thoughts rather than their words. Another example might be just how much he depends on his extra hearing. You kind of touched upon it in terms of it not allowing a natural course of relationship development. But, more than that, it is a matter that, without his extra sense, he really doesn't know how to relate to others, feels...lost. This hasn't ever been a problem seeing as how, so far, only Bella is immune. But, what if another nomad was immune, or a member of the guard?
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Jazz Girl wrote:Ginnie~ I think it was quite literally love at first sight. We know that he found her physically fairly ordinary at first glance. But, we also know that he had the urge to protect her (from Jessica's snide and unkind thoughts) almost immediately. He was, at the very least very intrigued by the opposition of her spoken thoughts, quiet mind and body language. Yes, once they hit Biology and her scent assaulted him, he tried to convince himself that he hated her. But, he didn't. He hated what she made him feel...vulnerable. Those who mean nothing to you do not make you vulnerable.
I didn't ever see Bella making him feel vulnerable in that moment, but it is an interesting theory. Forgive me for getting a little academic, but I am intrigued.

I thought, especially after reading Midnight Sun, that the moment Edward was lured (and I'm sure that isn't even close to a strong enough word there), but when he was lured by her blood, it was like a sledge hammer shattering the carefully constructed indifference and control that he was defined by. She brought the monster raging to the surface, and he felt destroyed; lost to the thing that he never wanted to be. I also think he really did feel hatred. He eventually figures out that it was really only his own self-loathing that he projected onto Bella, but I think he really did hate what the scent of her blood was physically doing to him. As well as the fact that he lost himself to it.

Still, Bella did make him feel vulnerable I suppose. He was completely exposed in that split second when his desire to feed off of her flashed through his eyes, blackening them and showing himself to his prey. He knew that she had seen the predator when his face was reflected back to him in her eyes. It's kind of funny that in the next moment she blushes and trips, making him see her as vulnerable, which physically she was. I believe the real vulnerability for Edward came in the moment when he realized that he couldn't hear her thoughts. That moment of unease, as he described it. Then he was drawn into the depth of her eyes, trying to unravel the mystery.

I'm still not sure about the love at first sight thing, because in MS it says that Edward looked away, bored. Although perhaps the chapter title, "First Sight", lends itself to suggest that it was love at first glance, even if he failed to recognize it. I personally think he was intrigued, frustrated, and hoping that she would prove to be just like every other uninteresting human girl. Yet, his fight to convince himself that her thoughts would be shallow and unoriginal suggests that he had some kind of intuitive feeling that there was more to her than her than that. Which may not be love, but it's a start.

PS: Sorry about the rambling... :oops:
But thank you for all the wonderful responses!!