Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
gmreyes2
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by gmreyes2 »

francesca1986 wrote:I didn't even know that Midnight Sun had been leaked until I read it on Stephenie's site... and then when I read that she had put it out herself I could not help but read it... But when I clicked the link to read the rough draft it would come up blank. I tried over and over again and still nothing. It drove me crazy and what was only one day felt like forever.

Anyways when I finally did get to read it it blew me away. It was like reading a whole different book (I don't know if that makes sense). Even though I would catch myself tying in what would be going on in Twilight it still felt like I was reading a whole new story. I can't believe what really went on in Edward's head! Looking back at Twilight it feels like I was clueless about Edward's inner thoughts. Its so crazy that he had the same feelings and anxieties as Bell, like when ever they were apart and stuff like that. As for the whole watching over her while she slept, I assumed (like so many others) that he just watched her from her window. I never would have thought that he actually went in her room! There are so many things like that that if it weren't for Midnight Sun we would have never known.

I'm actually re-reading Twilight right now and I just got to the part after Bella finds out that Edward is a vampire from Jacob. And after reading the partial draft of Midnight Sun I laughed out loud at the part where Bella opens her bedroom window for the first time and makes a comment on how smoothly it opens even though its been ages since the last time someone opened it. Hopefully Stephenie finishes the book, I know its not gonna happen any time soon but so long as she does it will make me the happiest person ever.

-Francesca
I think that is she finishes this book it will make her fans the HAPPIEST people in the universe! I agree that reading the book from Edward's perspective is a huge difference from Bella's point of view. I think he's a bit mean when he keeps stating that Bella may be a bit unstable and that maybe she should be locked up in an institution. A bit funny when he says that even if she locked up-he'll go visit her everyday.
ibelievealice
Settled in Forks
Location: in my Porshe driving around Seattle looking for the mall!

Post by ibelievealice »

I just have to say that I LOVED it!! It was wonderful! There is so many things that I didn't get before I read this. Like how Edward felt for Bella in the begining. I knew he fought against the urge to kill her, but to know so absolutely that he loved her so soon was not something I expected! I love getting to see more of the Cullens and how they interact with each other. I always loved Alice (screename), but you get to see even more of her. I always wondered why she kissed Bella on the cheek the first time they met! And to find out the full vision she had, Either he would kill her or she would become a vamp!! Then we got to see more of the Tanya thing! Edward always seems so intense from Bella's POV, but we get to see that he isn't like that all the time. He has a great sense of humor and seems more like a normal guy (as normal as a vampire can be!!) from his POV. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read! I just hope and pray we will someday soon get to read all of it! :cry:
Love is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.
Heidi
Settled in Forks

Post by Heidi »

It makes me cry every time I read how broken he is at the end of this beautiful lullaby he's written, because he can't see anything but the tragic end and how he can do nothing else but leave Bella the way she is in order to do what is right. MS really gives insight to just how passionate he is about his music, closely rivaling his love for Bella. You can tell by how difficult it is for him to play it again when Esme requests it, and how he needs that little bit of security from the reminder of her(Bella's) "yes". I'm extremely thankful Stephanie chose to write MS in the first place. It makes the story that much more special to realize the depth of Edward's character. I only hope she is somehow eventually able to put this heartbreaking loss behind her, and complete it.

Something else that made the books so much better with MS, was how Edward seemed to be aware of Bella physically, not just a pure mental/emotional love. From her point of view, Edward always maintained this rigid sense of moral self control, but it's refreshing to know just how much that control was stretched when you could see that he did actually desire her and even had fantasies about touching her. I would love to listen to his mind during the times she would let herself go to far with their embraces and how he wouldn't let it get very far before he was pushing her away to gain control. From her perspective it seemed easy for him.
Heidi~*bringing new meaning to the words "fisher of men"*~-"Call me for your Volterra vacation - Castle tours offered daily! Meet the ancients,they would love you stay for dinner!"
S_M_G
Learning to Love Green

Post by S_M_G »

I finally gave in and read it. Though as someone else pointed out it felt so impersonal to read it from the computer screen instead of cuddled on the couch with the book and the added guilt of knowing why I was able to read this partial draft. *sigh*

Midnight Sun was not what I expected AT ALL. All this time we knew how obsessed Bella was with Edward but we never knew Edward was as obsessed if not more. He fell for her so early on and underneath the whole coolness he exuded to Bella he was a wreck. :cry: The change he went through is so amazing, he became more human, more hopeful.

We also saw how much they hated being vampires. The struggle Jasper was going through, the anger Rosalie had and the way Edward thought his sparkling skin, his coldness etc would disgust Bella.

I loved seeing that Edward made sure the rapist was put behind wars.

I loved every single letter of the book.

Bella has always been my favorite character. I loved her thought process, her strength and determination. Now I love her even more.

As someone else mentioned I am glad the meadow scene wasn't in this draft because I believe with all my heart that Stephenie will finish this book and that scene won't be tainted. I understand her and know we can't ask her to do anything, it's her story, her mind, her choice. I feel blessed that she chose to share her story with us.

I have to read MS again with Twilight in my hand. Although I practically memorized Twilight by now I want to go scene by scene from both their POVs.

"You give faith to the ones you love,but the people who really deserve it are the ones who come through even when you don't love them enough".”
LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

screamy screamy screamy! Ah who knew I could love Edward any more than I already did?! W>O>W> :D
Like omg, so AMAZING! I adore Midnight Sun so bad! :D
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
Heidi
Settled in Forks

Post by Heidi »

Upon re-reading the 2nd chapter (for about the 10th time..) I can't believe I missed how hilarious the whole picture of the group of them filing into the cafeteria, surrounding Edward, like they are on some sort of mission to protect the president, is. Especially Emmett. Too funny! Of course, Edward's response is priceless, as well.
Heidi~*bringing new meaning to the words "fisher of men"*~-"Call me for your Volterra vacation - Castle tours offered daily! Meet the ancients,they would love you stay for dinner!"
nads
Settled in Forks

Post by nads »

after reading the 12 chapters, i love edward even more. it's like i could feel more of his agony, his love, his self control and his protective sense. midnight sun is so beautifully written.. i like every lines in midnight sun.. i love midnight sun. equals to how i love twilight in the first place. i keep on waiting until the day stephenie meyer finally release the book, no matter what year it will be.
Edwhard
Settled in Forks

Post by Edwhard »

I had a few moments hesitation before reading the chapters, it really didn't feel right. I'm not exactly "happy" that I did, but it had to have been one of the most interesting things I've ever read. The times when Edward describes his passion, I was literally holding my heart (and tears). It's a funny thing to see Edward's perspective; kinda makes Bella seem very childish, and you can see why Edward is so stubborn. Also, it made Edward seem like such an outcast, his whole family thought there was something weird about him (before this even started), to me, it just makes him even more special, because he has character. I loved how in any other context, Edward's "stalking" would have been incredibly creepy, but the whole time I was just wishing it was me ;) I respect SM, and if this is all we get of Midnight Sun, at least it gave us all a little new perspective, and the blanks can be easily filled now.
LipsForeverSealed
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: In a black leather chair, that spins, *spin* weee! In Ireland

Post by LipsForeverSealed »

So well I've just finished what was a week of sneeking on to the computer, making up bad excuses to use the computer, waking up at ridiculas hours, and going to sleep real late.
I 've just finished reading the 12 chapters.

I'm so unsatisfied at this moment!

No I adored the chapters completely! :D I cherished every word, I love Edward even impossibly more now.
But I NEED more! Ahhh! its driving me insane! :x
They were so beyond amazing, and now I need the rest sooo bad!

Yeah, Amy, everyone feels that way, shut up already...!

:lol:
LipsForeverSealed
Image Edward Cullen
ed4ev
Wandering Through Town

Post by ed4ev »

porscheturbo911 wrote:
NovaAlbion wrote:I can't believe the sorrow I felt when Stephenie Meyer said that she might not be able to finish Midnight Sun. Gak. At the very best, it will be delayed.

Since she hasn't committed to writing (for publication) any other Twilight Saga stories, it may mean that Breaking Dawn is the last we'll see. Does that person realize what they have cost us all, cost themselves?

I will read it. I will bear in mind that it is rough and unedited and subject to change. I am so bummed. I didn't want it to happen this way.

My heart goes out to Stephenie and all the fans.
I agree completely with you. It's so horrible that someone could do that to Stephenie. I can't imagine how she feels right now.

In a way, though, it was a relief to read Midnight Sun. I finally understood what Edward was thinking and finally got to see how he perceived Bella. What I thought was really interesting was how Edward can only partly read Charlie's mind. I didn't know Bella's shield was genetic.

Also, it surprised me how quickly Edward fell in love with Bella. I always thought it was a lot more gradual. And it was really great to finally be able to see into the minds of the other characters. Just reading Midnight Sun made me fall in love with Edward all over again, and I really want to thank SM for being such an amazing author, especially to us fans. She's always been so great to us fans and I'm so grateful for that. :)

Do I dazzle you?