Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
NovaAlbion
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by NovaAlbion »

Heidi wrote:
Elizabeth wrote: I just want to know why the 'younger' vampires don't even talk to the humans- not until Bella. Why so?
I seemed to get the impression most of the other students kept a distance from them because they could tell they weren't quite normal. Edward had mentioned several times about how the students kept a distance out of instinctive fear. Also, I believe most of it was tedious to the Cullens at this point, since they would consistently be in and out of high school depending on where they would move during their immortal existence and it probably wasn't the safest thing for them to interact with the other students because of the thirst factor, even if they could control it.
However, they had to work with other students closely - at least during school hours with some after hours interaction. Besides playing on different Phys. Ed. teams, various group projects in a variety of classes, and, a la Bella, sharing lab/shop bench/equipment/workstation would bring them into close proximity to other student. Instinctive fear might keep a shared lab station clear - if there is enough room to spare. In most public high schools, there isn't enough space for those wanting the class, at least at the beginning of the year. While it is possible that dazzle power could convince an otherwise inclined teacher to substitute a different assignment for a group project, it is also possible that an observant, caring teacher (they exist - we have them on the forum), noticing lack of social interaction, might insist on their participation in a "group" project.

This would lead to other interesting issues - Cullens' house or one of the humans' in the group or neutral (public) locations like a coffee shop or the library? Depending on the group, members they could work online using some sort of groupware.

There is even the possibility of "cheating". The Cullen member of the group does the entire project, to perfection, by themselves, including professional quality presentation materials, and attribute various parts to other members of the group. Perhaps one or more of the other members of the group could deliver and present the project results for their "share" of the project.

I can really see the younger Cullens being really bored with not just the subject matter but also having to interact with the human students (and even most of the human teachers).

Overall, high school wasn't a pleasant experience for me and one that I would go to some lengths to avoid. Of course, as a vampire things would be different (I would be attractive, menacing, invulnerable and when needed stronger and faster than any human. Yes, substitute the antonyms and you have a picture of me in high school).

How would you cope with having to go to back to high school again and again if you had to continue to do it (with minor variations) forever?

Other than the fact that it would have destroyed the entire story, I have often wondered why the Cullens didn't claim to be home schooled. I mean any of them, at any apparent age, could have aced any state mandated placement/achievement test. Or even better, arrive in a new town with a high school diploma showing that the prodigies "graduated" at what ever age seemed appropriate for their current situation. I know that early graduates are rare, but everyone has heard of them.

If five "geniuses" in one family might attract too much notice, they should be able to have one or two of the "younger" vampires sit out a "high school" cycle and get a break. Usually the big "publicity" push would come from where they "graduated" early rather than where they moved to. You'd just have to check in to the school district so you wouldn't be harassed by truancy officers.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." Sue Kidd Monk, The Secret Life of Bees, Chapter 6

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue
spookybell
Part of Carlisle's Clan

Post by spookybell »

SethisMine wrote:I couldn't bring myself to read the draft. I know I'm crazy, after waiting all this time to say that I would rather have all or nothing. But I would have loved it if I could actually hold the completed published copy in my hands and read it.
Oh that's what I thought also... then I rationalized it all, I have not read it all yet (amazing hu?) I am actually savoring it...

It is amazing. I could repeat everyone. I love Edwards point of view.

I have to accept what I am given. I didn't know until Stephenie posted it on her website either, but if she gave it of free will....

It is beautiful...
Sometimes I am not satisfied with my signature!
freeml
Wandering Through Town

Post by freeml »

If I ever thought I couldn't love Edward any more, that completely changed when I read the first part of Midnight Sun!! There were just so many little things, I kept finding myself squealing, or saying 'awwwww' or smiling. For example....

-"I'm going to love her some day, Jazz. I'll be very put out with you if you don't let her be" :D gee I love Alice!!!

-The lemonade bottle cap.......seriously?!?!?! FREAKIN' ADORABLE!!! :)

-When Edward sees Mike lay Bella down on the sidewalk (after the blood typing), and he "almost took the door off the car"

-Bella: "Why won't you leave me alone?"
Edward: "I don't know"
Belive me, I've tried. I wanted to say. Oh, and I am wretchedly in love with you

-"And, by the way, I adore you....in frightening and dangerous ways"

Did anyone else find that as they were reading it, they kept pulling out Twilight and comparing?????? It was so interesting (and utterly amazing) to see the situation from each of their perspectives.....especially when they were both misinterpreting the others' actions/responses/moods/reactions. As much as I feel bad about how everything came about (with the draft getting leaked), I have to admit I am so grateful that SM put it on her website because even not having all of it was AMAZING.
~The future's bright, but she is brighter~ Alice's song!!

~And, by the way, I adore you... in frightening, dangerous ways~ Midgnight sun
NovaAlbion
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by NovaAlbion »

freeml wrote:-Bella: "Why won't you leave me alone?"
Edward: "I don't know"
Belive me, I've tried. I wanted to say. Oh, and I am wretchedly in love with you
As has been said elsewhere, "That boy is such a liar." Think of the problems that would have been avoided. But also think of how the truth would have made the story boring.

I've read it twice. (Doing so at the computer sucks.) My next read through will be with Twilight in hand.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." Sue Kidd Monk, The Secret Life of Bees, Chapter 6

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue
psugar
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by psugar »

I loved Midnight Sun's 12 chapters "Both freaks amoung those who already were freaks" just came into my head I love the way Alice and Edward communicate and how Alice keeps nagging Edward about her "best friend".
Trainee of EDC-Let's break down some houses!
In my version of Twilight Jacob never existed!
ed4ev
Wandering Through Town

Post by ed4ev »

omigod that was freaken awesome, it took me like three days to read and stuff, and i know lots of ppl agree with me, so stef, if your reading, pleeze publish it!!!!! but feel good too!!!

Do I dazzle you?
luvedwardcullen
Settled in Forks

Post by luvedwardcullen »

Oh I love all the extra looks at the Cullens.

I love Rosalie calling Edward names in her head. I laughed so hard!!! "Stop being an idiot. If you can" :lol:

OMG and Edward amusing himself by imagining how it would be to do things like throw Mike into a wall and smash him. I laughed my butt off!!!!

I want more...sigh...but I truly feel for her too.

As a fellow novelist I would die if someone prematurely leaked my book.
Meadow
Settled in Forks

Post by Meadow »

freeml wrote:If I ever thought I couldn't love Edward any more, that completely changed when I read the first part of Midnight Sun!! There were just so many little things, I kept finding myself squealing, or saying 'awwwww' or smiling.

Did anyone else find that as they were reading it, they kept pulling out Twilight and comparing?????? It was so interesting (and utterly amazing) to see the situation from each of their perspectives.....especially when they were both misinterpreting the others' actions/responses/moods/reactions. As much as I feel bad about how everything came about (with the draft getting leaked), I have to admit I am so grateful that SM put it on her website because even not having all of it was AMAZING.

OMG, I too love Edward more now....and yes, I am reading one chapter of twilight and then jumping on my computer to read the same chapter of MS...and I am also aaawwwwwwing all the time at the cute/sad little things he says/thinks/feels like:

"Could a dead, frozen heart break? It felt like mine would."

"Could a dead, frozen heart beat again? It felt like mine was about to."

And I came across something interesting on page 138, almost at the bottom.... when Bella asks him:

What are you going to do? she asked, not sounding happy with my revelation.
Good. (edward thinks to himself)

Isn't that what RP has said to fans when they scream out things like "I love you"..he did it at comicon, and I know I've heard him respond to fans with the same thing on some other video....I wonder if this is where he picked that up from, since he had read MS by then...just a thought
vamps4evr
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by vamps4evr »

I just read this today!! I started late last night, but I couldn't stop I sat here and read ALL day!!

As if I needed a reason for loving Edward more, for him to dazzle me more then he did through Bella's eyes...to see what he thought, what she couldn't see - just amazing!! The love and descriptions of it!! the breaking of his heart, or there lack of was just well...Heartbreaking!!

I will reread again one chapter at a time with Twilight!! I need to finish the saga first!

I understand the feelings, but Stephenie, our hearts need to read what Edwards has to say!! Please reconsider! We are missing so much!
BuffytheVampireLover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Miami during the school year, Boston for the in betweens

Post by BuffytheVampireLover »

I absolutely LOVED what I have read from MS. It's intriguing to see how Edward interprets everything Bella says and does, especially given the fact that we know what she's thinking when she does it. I also love that you get to see all the things that you can't with Bella as the narrator, like when he leaves and goes north, what the Cullens' initial reaction was to the whole situation, what he ended up doing about the men in Port Angelos, ect. Knowing what I know about Alice's vision, it makes so much more sense why she was SO excited to meet Bella. I think one of my favorite parts had to be when he was in her room, and has the epiphany about how he feels. It was just amazing to hear it described so beautifully. You really get an understanding of the extent to which he really loves her. I agree with everything that I would give anything to have SM write the entire series from Edward's perspective. An impossible dream? Probably. But hey, Edward is an impossible dream and yet I insist on pretending he's real, so... :)
freeml wrote:Did anyone else find that as they were reading it, they kept pulling out Twilight and comparing??????
haha, I was doing the exact same thing. Every like 5 seconds, I was like "wait, what was she thinking then?" and I'd whip out the book. You can literally go through every scene with the two of them, and now you understand why he said this, why he did that. Very mind boggling.

Also, you listed a bunch of my favorite quotes too :) I would have to include this one though:

Rosalie: Why don't you punch through the wall while you're at it?
Emmett: It would look more impressive if you did it, baby.

Dunno why, but I LOVE it. Maybe it's just cuz Emmett is the most hilarious guy ever. Basically, the point I'm trying to make is: Midnight Sun was amazing, and I pray to my dear and fluffy lord that she decides to finish it.
*Jenny*

"Why don't you try to dig a little deeper and find a bigger set of balls, because you're going to need them."

Hey Jacob, 'I told you so' has a twin brother; his name is 'shut the hell up'.