Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Re: Midnight Sun - The 12 Chapters

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

ringswraith wrote: That's because by then he's learned to key into the clues his limited view of Charlie's mind provides. He's had over a century's worth of experience in dealing with people; he's able to come to a logical conclusion about what Charlie's most likely thinking.

sweetpea wrote:
Also Edward states how Bella's sweater is frumpy and it is ugly on her but he is glad that she is covered up since the dinner the night before. I didn't agree with that.
I see your point. When I first read the series I just figured Edward could read Charlie's thoughts as easily as everyone else.
Banner by TammyAZ
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

I'm finally reading Midnight Sun - it's hard to read on my computer, so I just do a chapter at a time. I'm only on page 42, but already, I'm totally hooked!! I love getting to know Edward. So far, the most profound moment was in Denali when he realizes that he doesn't hate Bella, he hates himself, for wanting her blood. I didn't state it as well as Stephenie does, of course. When I read it, I got a little choked up. I was amazed at how self-aware he is, and such a deep thinker. That's what we love about Edward, isn't it? I can't wait to read more, and I REALLY WANT STEPHENIE TO FINISH MIDNIGHT SUN AND GET IT PUBLISHED!!! Maybe that's what she's working on now when she says she's "spending time with her family". I know she has said that she doesn't like to write when she's being "watched".
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

The thing that I was able to finally understand after reading MS was his self loathing. Suddenly, New Moon made perfect sense. I wish it would be made into a book, but I still cherish the chapters she gave us. It is wonderful to see even an unrefined look into Edward's head.
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Openhome wrote:The thing that I was able to finally understand after reading MS was his self loathing. Suddenly, New Moon made perfect sense. I wish it would be made into a book, but I still cherish the chapters she gave us. It is wonderful to see even an unrefined look into Edward's head.
Me too!! Reading MS helped me understand so many things more about Edward & why he does what he does sometimes. (Especially NM. It helps make it so I'm not quite as mad at him for leaving. :( ) And I love getting the thoughts of others around him & seeing the Cullens at different parts & his relationship w/Alice.

Does anyone else think that MS starts off kind of slow? Don't get me wrong I love it & can't wait for the day that SM finishes it & publishes it. But the first chapter is just so much descpription & is kind of slow to me. I was talking with someone who had only read the first chapter when she initially just had that available & she said she didn't really like it because of that. I told her she should read the rest of it because it gets better as you go. (If she wanted to read it before it gets published.) I don't know
:?
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

I think a big part of that is, this is Edward we're talking about, narrating. He spends a lot of time in his head, and it shows in the writing. :)
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Ringswraith wrote:I think a big part of that is, this is Edward we're talking about, narrating. He spends a lot of time in his head, and it shows in the writing.

Hahahaha. Truer words were never spoken.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
despoina92
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by despoina92 »

pennybug84 - I see what you mean. The first chapter has many details, but with it I was able to understand better the vampire nature ang step easier into Edward's shoes. I think the details and generally the first chapter as a whole is essential to understand Edward as a character, his senses, his behavior and be able to understand the change he goes through after falling for Bella. That's just my opinion, though.

Spending time in Edward's head is great! I think SM does a great work describing the multi-layered way of thinking of vampires and the depth of their thoughts and emotions. Even though I know what happens in the end, Edward's conflict is so interesting, that keeps me stuck to the story. I want SM to finish MS badly!
Susie
Frozen in Time

Post by Susie »

Regarding MS starting out slowly...

I see what you mean, but I think what strikes me more is the dramatic change in tone when it is from Edward's point of view (as well as getting used to reading Edward reading other people's thoughts). His character is so unlikeable at first, and since I've gotten to love him from the entire Saga, it is a jolt! :? Yet, it does explain why he gives Bella those "looks" when she first sees him and why he is so utterly insane the first day in Biology.

Midnight Sun really helps me understand why he comes across as crabby at first. Actually, I've only read to page 42, so I'm eager to see the transformation to the "nice" Edward!!!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Susie wrote:Regarding MS starting out slowly...

I see what you mean, but I think what strikes me more is the dramatic change in tone when it is from Edward's point of view (as well as getting used to reading Edward reading other people's thoughts). His character is so unlikeable at first, and since I've gotten to love him from the entire Saga, it is a jolt! :? Yet, it does explain why he gives Bella those "looks" when she first sees him and why he is so utterly insane the first day in Biology.

Midnight Sun really helps me understand why he comes across as crabby at first. Actually, I've only read to page 42, so I'm eager to see the transformation to the "nice" Edward!!!
Susie~ HAHAHA!! I actually loved Edward from the start. I find him utterly fascinating. And, I think you see small glimpses of the real Edward, ie the caring, gracious gentleman that he truly is when away from the tedium of petty high school crap. You see it almost immediately, even with Bella. In that first sort-of interaction in the cafeteria, he wants to step between Jessica and her snarky thoughts and Bella, protect her from Bella's pettiness. I think you are right in that it does give us such a deeper understanding of things that happen in Twilight, his reactions to her, his distance from her.

As for the slow start, well, Edward's just a little more verbose than Bella, wouldn't you say? :lol:

Either way, I love living in Edward's head.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Bellsuz
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Bellsuz »

Susie wrote:Regarding MS starting out slowly...

OH!! You've got to read the rest (unless you're trying to hold out of course!). I know what you mean as well about how Edward seemed unlikeable, but for me personally, I don't think it's him that's unlikeable...it's more like, it's kind of a wake up call to see how much Edward really dislikes himself. It controls his every move and thought. While we knew that about him, it was sort of a jolt to read it on paper. Personally (and I may be biased because I am totally about all things Edward) MS is my favorite piece of the puzzle if you will. I could read it forever if it went on that long. I loved reading what Edward heard in other people's heads and also what he thought about what they were thinking, lol! That was a tongue twister!!
Image Credit to emaleth @ Vesperarium :)