Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Meteor
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by Meteor »

As much as I wish Stephenie to finish and to publish MS, I could understand her reasons of postponing (or not publishing at all --sobs...sobs) Edward's version of Twilight....coz of the leaks...and all that. I would give her a break. Mainly, i hope she wouldn't write MS under stress and pressure like she did with all the other 3 books (though the stress is somewhat different with MS). Not that they are not good or anything. I just wish to read, if it will ever see the light, a stress-free, at-your-will version of Edward's Twilight ;) .

After reading it, I felt MS was like a dictionary to Twilight.
To explain what I mean, I need start with how I entered the Twilight universe:
1. Twilight movie (recommended by my friend) : Confusion...more confusion..esp why Edward (Rob) showing so much pain....???..more confusion.
2. So, I dig into the books: Well, that explained a LOT but I didn't understand what about Edward's regular mood swing. I initially thought it was probably one of the common side effects of being a vampire, you know, sort of like the supernatural abilities but a negative one. And so, the list went on and on...(I think I can continue babbling down the list but that's not necessary to prove my point).

After reading MS, half of the list got clear up and of course there were a lot of ah-ha's.
I believe MS gave us a peek at a window of someone (in this case, a vampire) living through one hundred years with undying brain cells. It was a hard perspective to understand (without MS). We all have our own versions of that perspective but that just not going to work with your books, your Edward, your Cullens and your universe of Twilight -- not precisely anyway.
(After all, how many of us get a shot of living through nineties. I'll be happy to live through seventy without Alzheimer or Dementia!)

Having said all that, I hope Stephenie would understand tiny bit more why MS is essential to Twilight in a slightly different way, well, besides all the craving for Edward-Bella things ;) .
mandyb7
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by mandyb7 »

ooookay so I don't know how true this is and sorry if it's already been posted but I saw this in a facebook group:

update 03/01/09: I have heard around the grapevine that as soon as the breaking dawn movie is released, she will publish midnight sun. But this does not mean that we should stop supporting her! Keep on inviting people to support something that we all believe in....to give Edward a chance to tell his story.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
WA Addict
TheLamb07
Wandering Through Town

Post by TheLamb07 »

I really hope to read it. Reading the draft explained some stuff that we probably wouldnt have noticed. I know it all up to her but i'm so impatient. She really wants to wait until everyone forgets about it. I doubt any true twilight fans will ever forget it...
Vampire vs. Werewolf is the new Pirate vs. Ninja
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

I wont forget, and I could not resist. I read it today. It was so fantastic. everything I imagined Edward to be. And so much more. It stabbed through the heart when I read the last page. I dont know if its worse or better to have read it. The sadness if it is not published will be awful. I love her work.
Now to go bow out of the MS virgin thread. I was weak. :? :o :shock:
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
Dovrebanen
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by Dovrebanen »

Sannois - I completely understand that you read it. But then again, I've never been a MS virgin. When I found the draft on SMs site, I just couldn't help myself. And I do think that for me it is better to have read it even if it might never be published. Because it is the most beautifully written piece of literature that I have ever read. We get to know Edward in a whole new way. And that mind he has...He blows me away completely.
I really do hope it's published. I will never forget that story. And if it's not published, I'll still have the draft. I just hate the person who did this. And I hope that SM can find it in herself to keep going, and remember that it was the work of one person, and that she has millions of fans that will stand by her and who is dying to read that book.
Rob's Halfway House ~ Team Edward ~ Cullenist ~
Sannois
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Sannois »

could not agree more! I am not sorry at all that I read it.
I have a feeling that SM will not let us down, she has as much stake in it as anyone. She Created Edward, she owes it to him as well.
Yes he blows me away as well. I get tears reading some of the things he thinks and says. Could there be someone like him anywhere? Vampire or mortal? I am not picky. :)
Every time I hear thunder, I wonder if Vampires are playing baseball. Alice is my personal shopper
nzskiingscot
Settled in Forks

Post by nzskiingscot »

I like Midnight Sun for the ability to not only understand Edwards character much better but also those around him whoms thoughts he read. Although he's going to be biased when it comes to the thoughts of the human lads after Bella, he's jealous! But, yes, I was glad I read it, as I now understand so many of the characters much better and I was only hoping to understand Edwards reasoning better. I would also just have to say I loved Edwards description of what it would be like to fall in love with Bella. I can't even really say why it's just so.....
I also like how I view the books, which was my first reaction to reading the books. But I also like reading it from the other peoples views. It can change the whole view of the story and reading it like that can make it seem like you're reading another book. As it's in Bella's POV we can't know the reasons behind people's reactions necessarily, so we place our own theories there. Reading Midnight Sun was putting SM theories (or I guess actually, seeing as she wrote their reactions) and I was allowed another view at the books.

p.s. sorry about the long psychological rant, I tend to be a bit Edward-y in looking into people's thoughts. :roll:
Just looking for my blue-eyed Edward. Seen him anywhere?
Danica
Wandering Through Town

Post by Danica »

express my feelings? i dont think the swear filter will let me.
i love ms. and i feel extremely luckto have been allowed to read these few chapters. even if it is never published it was great to be allowed these few pages at least. thank you SM so much for putting these up for us. you didnt have to. it shows a great strength of character and true class.

and we love you very much for it.
forever...
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...
watch out the green imp is about....
rainbowcrayon
Wandering Through Town

Midnight Sun

Post by rainbowcrayon »

At first, I didn't want to read Midnight Sun as I was convinced Stephenie Meyer would "get over" the violation of her rights and just finish the book. However, I slowly came to realize as she said in her disclaimer announcement before posting the partial draft, that writing is not objective, two plus two does not always equal four. I was brokenhearted, then, about a month after everyone else.
I eventually did read the partial draft of Midnight Sun, and absolutely adored it. I love the glimpse we get into Edward's mind and the reasoning behind all of these actions previously unexplained and basis only presumed. It helped me to understand Edward's character more, and appreciate his point of view.
Despite Stephenie Meyer's reluctance, I believe what would fascinate me further is a version of New Moon from Jacob's perspective. I would love to be able to understand his mind a bit more, and the glimpses we see at the end of Eclipse and during Breaking Dawn did not really help as much as I had hoped. Yes, things were made much more clear, but I would love to know more about how Jacob's mind works and the reasons behind his actions. Yes, Edward is fascinating, but Jacob is realistic, and thus even more interesting.
I do hope Stephenie Meyer will finish Midnight Sun, sometime, even if in the far-distant future. After all, the partial draft does not even reach the meadow scene! But as she is an author, and writing is subjective, it takes time.
If you're not really here, I don't want to be either. I want to be next to you.
black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold, black and gold.
kpkp
Settled in Forks

Post by kpkp »

"I did not want my readers to experience Midnight Sun before it was completed, edited and published." [from her website]

I'm not sure I really understand her explanation for why she's not continuing her work. I'm pretty sure everyone who was going to buy the book would still buy the book post the leak. Even if the entire book was leaked less one page- all of those readers would still line up for Midnight Sun. The most I can tell she has lost is her trust in a friend (which sucks of course)- but I'm not sure that would amount to killing an author's interest in their stories and characters for years... or I like to hope so!

Her draft is riddled with silly mistakes, but the essence of the story was still there and the first 12 chapters read like they were just the first 12 pages! There is still so much more to experience in Midnight Sun that I feel Stephenie shouldn't hold out just because a few pages were leaked early. Yeah it sucks and was wrong, but it hasn't taken much away from the readers in my opinion- if we are the ones she is concerned about. Then again, I'm no author so who knows what kind of mood you have to be in to write- I just hope she's trying.

I'll still look forward to Midnight Sun- and I wonder how she can finish Edward's p.o.v. in just one book? Apart from being absent from New Moon for the majority of the time, so often Bella isn’t able to explain what’s going on with this thoughts that I hope Stephenie considers writing from his p.o.v. for the entire series! I bet that would be fun for her! Who can really ever forget their story now?!

“Just because someone buys a book or movie or song, or gets a download off the Internet, doesn't mean that they own the right to reproduce and distribute it.” [from her website]

I feel that the story has always belonged to her and still does. What happened was wrong, but the book is still hers to take wherever she wants and readers are still interested in what she has to write!