Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelin

Post by funkidiva »

Brilliant, thank you. WIll have to get reading!
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Does anyone wonder if SM is really working on the Guide now? It seems like she might be since she has decided to release Bree's story. She said she made the decision to publish it on its own when she realized it was too long for the Guide. I knwo it isn't Midnight Sun but I am just excited to get anything SM puts out there! Bree's novella is a definte plus but I'd love to get the Guide as well!!

Thank you Naureen!!
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I think that she finished it already... that she worked on it and it will be released on December 31th or something like that... she decided to publish Bree's story because she realized that it was too long for the guide and because she wanted us to have the option to buy it and not just read it on her website...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

I think she's really working on it and I think she's about halfway to almost done by now. Can't wait for it I know most of us hang on to what we read on the last page of Breaking Dawn about the guide supposing to be released on January of 2009. I believe it will be so worth it when it came out, it will be worth our wait...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I want her to release Midnight Sun so much, I get the feeling that secretly she is holled in a room scribbling away ;D Hopefully...
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
dazzel21
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by dazzel21 »

We're all hoping that's what SM is doing right at this moment...
"Because each and every one of us needs our own personal brand of heroine."
~Team Edward Forever~
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

She is in the 'Twilight Frame Of Mind.' that she said that she needed to write MS after all isnt she? If she's writing the guide, releasing Bree Tanner and co-producing BD, then surely she's having thoughts all the time about it?
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

I think after BD is made she will release MS. That way the sales will rocket cause the movie will be made the Twilight obsession(can't think of the right word right now) will start dying down and the release will just start the craze all over again. Just a thought.
Banner by TammyAZ
andypalmer
Learning to Love Green

Post by andypalmer »

As a writer myself (albeit an amateur) I completely understand Stephenie's feelings about the leak and why she's not feeling up to finishing the story at this time. Because of that, I avoided the partial draft.

Then, however, a friend of mine told me about the chapter that she had willingly posted as a "preview" on her site. I had no moral compunctions then, so read the posted chapter 1.

I was driven by curiosity, not so much about the story itself, but how Stephenie Meyer, as an author, would pull off first person from the mind of a character as complex as Edward Cullen. I know from experience that First Person is a very difficult writing style to do well but Stephenie did just that from Bella's perspective (and also Jacob's in BD). I assuaged my ego a bit by telling myself that Bella, a teenage girl, is not a terribly complex character and one likely relate-able to Stephenie herself in many ways and Jacob wears his feelings on is sleeve so much that writing his first person perspective is in some ways like writing 3rd person with the filter turned off. So yes, I was curious about Stephenie's real writing chops as she tried to capture the essence, in first person, of a decades old vampire who reads minds.

I read chapter 1 and was amazed; she had not only pulled it off, she had nailed it. Of course, at that point, I was far too weak to NOT read the rest of the partial draft...

Now, I can no longer read Twilight without ALSO reading Midnight Sun. The story now seems incomplete without the two together, like a classical concerto with half of the instruments not playing. So, like many others, I dream of the day when Stephenie finishes and publishes Midnight Sun. I dream also of a publishing that puts both Twilight and Midnight Sun in the same book, with the words side-by-side in two separated columns and matched by time - that's where the real interaction between Edward and Bella is fleshed out as you read first the impressions of one, then the other, and realize the little misconceptions that both of them are having that both fuels and builds their relationship.

And yes, I'd like all four volumes of Midnight Sun to be published; I yearn for more insights into Edward's thoughts during the rest of the books, too. How he came to the decision to leave Bella in NM and how he found the strength to go through with it. The depths of his despair when he thought her dead, his initial thoughts when reunited at the square, and his feelings of fear, possibly even betrayal when the vote is taken. Then there's his jealousy and worries about Jacob during Eclipse, his plotting to take Bella to Florida, his handling of the tent scene - how much was cold calculation and how much was desperation? BD has many poignant moments for Edward, the wedding, the honeymoon, his change from wanting to save Bella from the monster he had created inside her and the depths of self-loathing that went with that, to realizing that he was a father, had created something beautiful with Bella. His desperate thoughts as he tried to get the venom into her quick enough to save her, his 2 days of waiting, hoping, perhaps even praying as the venom worked its magic, his unbounded joy as she awoke, for once his equal. And finally, his thoughts as Bella opened her mind to him, sharing her feelings in the most intimate of ways. There are too many moments to mention.

Until then, I will continue to read the half of the story that I have.
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

andypalmer wrote:
Now, I can no longer read Twilight without ALSO reading Midnight Sun. The story now seems incomplete without the two together, like a classical concerto with half of the instruments not playing. So, like many others, I dream of the day when Stephenie finishes and publishes Midnight Sun. I dream also of a publishing that puts both Twilight and Midnight Sun in the same book, with the words side-by-side in two separated columns and matched by time - that's where the real interaction between Edward and Bella is fleshed out as you read first the impressions of one, then the other, and realize the little misconceptions that both of them are having that both fuels and builds their relationship.
That is exactly what I think AP, That MS is like a part of Twilight that I needed, but never knew existed.