Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tenoko
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by Tenoko »

Hi, I'm Tenoko, I'm new to this forum but I am not totally sad to the point of tears. Have you check Stephanie's website? Midnight Sun is on indefinite HOLD because someone has been distributing a copy of it all over the internet. GOD! Why do people have to ruin things for everyone else just because they're fanatics? Well, you know what? Thanks a lot. You got your hot little hands on the rough draft and now NOBODY gets the real thing. No pretty little Midnight Sun will be sitting my my shelf next to all the other books, each lovingly read repetitively. I hate this! If I weren't so sad I'd be angry too, and I feel so bad for Stephie, I mean how utter selfish can the person who did this be.

I'm sorry, I suppose this is pretty awful for an intro, but I'm upset. It's just discourteous. And what's worse, there's no way for us to try and make Stephanie feel better. We can't email her, have someone forward her our emails, or anything. THIS GOES AGAINST MY PERSONALITY!!! When someone I care about is hurting, my first instinct is to make them feel better, even if I end up embarrassing myself in the process. Oh, I pray, I pray, I pray Stephanie Meyer is surrounded by loving and supporting people who will help her get past this extreme hurt and violation of her personal rights, so that she will be back to herself soon, back to writing, and hopefully back to MS.

She put a post of the copy on her site, but you know what? I'm so disgusted with the whole situation, I don't even want it, never want it to begin with, but now that it may be the only version we're ever allowed because of someone else's stupid gungho attitude, I DEFINITELY don't want it. When it's on sale in bookstores, full, complete, and with Stephanie's blessings, that is when I will buy and read it. Only to take it home to it's much awaited spot on my shelf. Until then, I'm still praying... :cry:
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

It’s a wise author who writes the stories she’s possessed by, and doesn’t push herself to write the ones that have gone quiet on her. I like to think that Stephenie will fall in love with Twilight all over again someday and the joy of finishing Midnight Sun will still be waiting for her. And if she does, I hope she’ll be generous enough to share it with us. In the meantime, the chapters we have are a wonderful and undeserved gift. Thank you Stephenie for sharing them with us -- we're all so sorry it had to happen this way!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
colormebella
Settled in Forks

Post by colormebella »

I was very upset to hear about this. I have always been careful to avoid spoilers, and to know that someone distributed this without the author's permission is just maddening. The initial person who had the manuscript might not have meant to be malicious but the people responsible for mass distribution sure did.

When I was in art school, the professors would have mid-project critiques that drove me mad. It was one thing to have your professor and classmates pick your work apart when it was finished, but it wasn't fair when it was unfinished. They would say things that they didn't like, and it was like, "I KNOW that, it isn't finished!" And critiques in art school are very harsh, but much like literary fandom where it is particularly nasty.

I don't blame Stephenie one bit for not wanting to finish it. She doesn't owe us anything. This is HER story. Yes, we are the readers, the fans, but why does that mean we are owed anything by the author? I've thought of Midnight Sun as an "extra" instead of part of the series. Not that I wouldn't get it at midnight either. I too wish to have it in a nice bound copy on my bookshelf to complete the picture. BUT, she never said she wasn't going to complete it at all, she's not making any decisions right now, which I think is a great thing. People make bad decisions when they're highly emotional about something, and this is something I'd be highly emotional about.

This IS much like being punished for the whole class. But it's not just Twight fans. It's for fans of everything everywhere. Stephenie is making a point, intended or not. One thing fans tend to forget is the stories and characters don't really belong to us, it's not our story to tell. The authors own everything and can hold out on us for any reason if they so wish. What would be the motivation for finishing a project, publishing it, and going through the publicity, when it has already been read and critiqued a year in advance? Let this be a lesson to us all to not participate in shenanigans. If you see a leaked copy, report it to the author, publisher, whomever, and keep it to yourself. None of this, "hey, isn't it awful that this book got leaked HERE."

Anyway, thank you, Stephenie, for publishing this on your own site. I feel privileged to have that insight into Edward's mind, and therefore all of the other characters minds we don't get to hear much about. As someone who has had unfinished work critiqued, it is a brave thing to put your work out there like that, even if it was stolen first. Even after reading those 12 chapters, I was still wanting more. What was Edward thinking during the meadow scene, what happened when Bella was in Phoenix, etc. So I do hope it gets published someday but I understand if it doesn't. I'm curious about the other characters that need their stories told too.
bella fiori
Wandering Through Town

Post by bella fiori »

All I feel is heartache.

I realize how difficult all of this must be for Stephenie. She has had a truly crazy year, filled with tours and book releases, movie stuff, and so much media and fan attention, more than enough to make anyone go mad. After so many years in the world of vampires, the constant fixation on her world was surely becoming tiresome. And then the less-than-wonderful response to Breaking Dawn, which must be disheartening (I'm completely staggered about that -- but I'll save it for the proper forum).

And now this.

Writing a story is intensely personal. Having your creation viewed publicly, spread around, without your control or consent, is a very personal violation. It's more than one person's betrayal: it's the entire exposure, the fact that anyone who was passively interested, could find it and read it before it's complete. She had to regain control of her work.

No other course of action would have made sense. And Stephenie is, no doubt, very weary of the Twilight universe, having spent far more time there than any of us. This is the perfect time to set it all aside and just rest. She is a writer with great integrity, needing to be fully invested to produce the most honest, whole work, and it is really quite generous for her to say that Midnight Sun is on hold indefinitely rather than cancel it altogether.

But I am heartsick about it. I hope this isn't the only glimpse into Edward's head we ever see, that this is a short respite -- what is posted there is lovely and fascinating, perhaps my favorite of all she's written.

Whatever the outcome of Midnight Sun, I hope Stephenie gets what she needs to get beyond this and write. I love her work, and can barely wait to lose myself in whatever she creates next.
Anarey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Anarey »

I don't know if it's just me clinging to hope or what, but even when I'm sad about MS, at the same time I do believe now that Stephenie will write the book. I was reading the BD FAQ and she said at the end that maybe she isn't ready to leave her vampires behind. Then I went to the MS part to listen to the playlist and, as every day since the anouncement I found myself at the end of the anouncement trying not to give in and read the chapters and I noticed for the first time this statement:

*Please remember this is an unedited rough draft. It is full of typos and all the other flaws that unedited manuscripts have. Enjoy it for what it is, but know that the final copy will be infinitely superior.

Like I said, I might be just trying to find some hope in all this awful sadness among the whole Twilight comunity but we can always dream right?

Am I the only one who thinks that we will have our copy of MS after reading this?
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley
sparker
Wandering Through Town

Post by sparker »

I'm not going to read a word of it. I think that's the same as waking up Christmas morning, looking at the 'dazzling' presents under the tree and before you can even open one of them someone blurts out everything you're getting. Okay, even if I could predict some of the things in Midnight Sun, I want the big box with the bow on it and the anticipating joy of opening it MYSELF!
Killjoys.... makes me wish I was a vampire!
You know I do hear Coldplay's 'Death and All of his Friends' when I think of the last book though...
lynlynlora
Settled in Forks

Post by lynlynlora »

If you read what she wrote about it on her website, you can tell that she's just heartbroken over it. It kills me that this happened to her.

SO!
To show Stephenie our support and love, I suggest that we, all of her devoted fans, throw a birthday party for Bella on September 13th. As you should know, that is Bella's birthday. So, just get your friends together, or all the Twilight fans you can find, or distribute flyers and invite everyone, just do what's easiest for you. Have cake, dress up, play games whatever you want to do.

I think we should all band together to support Stephenie, and let the 13th be our We Love Stephenie day. Wouldn't it be cool if we could have parties all across America? We love Stephenie and want her to feel better and we should let her know!
needwingstofly
Settled in Forks

Post by needwingstofly »

Reading through these - I feel so confused also - I cannot bring myself to read those first twelve chapters. I want to so bad but I just can't - mostly because she wrote that she doesn't WANT us to. So I just don't want to either. It would be great for her to put this book out cause it would be the guys turn to read the book from a guys point of view and would help even more people get hooked onto her books.
I can't stand waiting to find out what will happen.
Princess_Dani
Settled in Forks

Post by Princess_Dani »

I dont usually say a lot on here, it's easier sometimes to just keep your opinion to yourself but in this case I simply cannot. I'm upset about her postponing it indefinately but I also understand where she's coming from. She has just gotten a lot of flack for Breaking Dawn and then to be hit with this while she is still down is horrible. She has to be crushed. All I can do is hope she wont punish all of us for one person's mistake forever. I hope at some point she realizes we love her and her characters and maybe that will be enough to make her feel like we deserve to see the finished product. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that with a little time and love from us, she'll finish it and get it to us.
TwlightCrazy
Settled in Forks

Post by TwlightCrazy »

i feel bad for her about the leak. but i am also upset with her. it seems like she is acting immature about it. by putting the draft up herself and saying that she doesnt want us to read it really doesnt make any sense at all. she is letting her fans down. ive decided ( even tho i love stephs books) that im not gonna bother with reading them anymore. if she is gonna not write a book just becuz there is a leak what is the point? whats the point of even being excited about a book she is working on? what happens with the next book she starts and it gets leaked? will she do the same thing? i cant go thru being disappointed like this again. she is an amazing author and it sux what happened but she is punishing all the fans. so many fans supported her and stuck by her. she knows how huge her fandom is and how crazy everyone was about her writing MS and she should have been more careful with who she gave the draft to. she admitted herself she had several copies floating around. what did she expect to happen? it might have been an accident that it got leaked but they all needed to be careful and they could have let us know to be on the lookout for anything like that happening just like she did with her other books. its really deviding the fandom right now. so many people are upset with her. i understand how she must be feeling. being betrayed by someone she trusted and by some of her fans, not to mentiuon all the flak she has been getting about BD. ( which i loved that book) so many authors have books leaked and it never stops them from completeing their books. im hoping that she was just too upset when she wrote her statement and she will finish MS once she calms down. Twlight will not be completed if MS isnt there with it. im not trying to be mean or make anyone mad at me but that is how i feel about it.