Various articles that Stephenie Meyer has written

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
TheAbbyNormal
Settled in Forks

Re: Midnight Sun Partial draft release --Express your feelings

Post by TheAbbyNormal »

You guys all saved me.. I posted yesterday that I was never going to read it, but in the last few hours I've been slowly weakening... you guys reminded me why I didn't want to. thanks. I'm going to wait for the next time she posts on her site.
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Post by Pel »

Since I wrote this on the front page in response to someone who categorized Stephenie as a rich crybaby, I felt like I might as well cross post it in here, because it does sum up my opinion.

You want to view her as not caring about her fanbase, no problem, you can have that opinion. We entirely disagree.

Why we read this differently is this. We don’t know who she gave that manuscript to, it could be someone she works with in a professional capacity and that person was then careless. Authors need to give work to a variety of people for a variety of reasons, obviously one of those people was careless, and rather than throwing that person under a bus, Stephenie didn’t name that person.

Next, "We don’t owe her anything. We the fans made her a millionaire, she owes us at least the completed Midnight Sun." I find it amusing you state that we don’t owe her anything, but she owes us something? Frankly, neither ends owes the other zip. Just because someone has earned a living at something doesn’t mean they owe you more. I happen to like Doritos, it doesn’t mean the CEO of Frito/Lay owes the product’s continuation to me. I liked Dr. Who, David Tennant doesn’t owe me personal appearances or four more seasons. Being wealthy automatically makes you nothing more than fortunate.

Lastly Stephenie never said, "I am not continuing it ever". She said it’s on hold. Had she decided to give it up totally she would have said so. Anyone who has ever done performing arts and just gotten burnt out by doing too many shows in a row or from dealing with too many snippy people, or been on yearbook where everyone wants something and no one is happy, or has been on traveling soccer and at the end of the season the coach picks someone else as the hardest worker knows what it is to pour your heart and soul into something and then just need a break.
KStew and RPatz
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by KStew and RPatz »

For some reason, I feel like I am partly to blame, even though i didn't even know it was leaked until SM said so on her website. I think I feel guilty because when one fan does something like this, we all need to feel the effects of it. Stephenie Meyer has done so much for us, but when this happened, she decided to stop writing the book (maybe) and it makes me feel like I should have done something to stop it, though there was no way I could have done that. I don't even know what I'm saying, but I still feel guilty. Poor Stehenie, I'm sorry some people do stuff like thisa dn I am ashamed that a member of the fanbase would do that. :(
K-Dawg

Post by K-Dawg »

Pel wrote:Since I wrote this on the front page in response to someone who categorized Stephenie as a rich crybaby...

You want to view her as not caring about her fanbase, no problem, you can have that opinion. We entirely disagree.

.....and rather than throwing that person under a bus, Stephenie didn’t name that person.

Next, "We don’t owe her anything. We the fans made her a millionaire, she owes us at least the completed Midnight Sun." I find it amusing you state that we don’t owe her anything, but she owes us something? Frankly, neither ends owes the other zip...
... Anyone who has ever done performing arts and just gotten burnt out by doing too many shows in a row or from dealing with too many snippy people, or been on yearbook where everyone wants something and no one is happy, or has been on traveling soccer and at the end of the season the coach picks someone else as the hardest worker knows what it is to pour your heart and soul into something and then just need a break.
I haven't read the 12 chapters, and i'm not sure if I could without feeling a tiny bit of the pain and hurt Stephenie feels. She doesn't write for anyone but herself. The fact that we all like, no, LOVE, these books is a bonus. She didn't ask for us to like her chararcters and to make her "rich"
I can't believe some Stephenie trusted so much( in a friendship or work related way) would do that to her! She must be heartbroken!! Yet she is still saving this person alot of trouble by not mentioning their name. After all this person has done to her she is still trying to protect them. She really is a great person :)
I wonder what they thought posting it online would really accomplish.
:cry:
Why didn't I just walk away?
Oh Right, Because i'm an idiot!
AliLovesEdward
Settled in Forks

Post by AliLovesEdward »

I completely agree with Pel's statement. Some people are getting so worked up about it and are blaming Stephenie. If I were in her place, I would be so upset. She gave Midnight Sun to someone close to her, and they completely betrayed her trust. I would definently feel like giving up, like all of my hard work was pointless. It's not like something isn't coming up for the series. The movie is coming out in about 3 months or so. Plus she never said she isn't continuing. So for now I think we all should just show our support for Stephenie.
sunny
Settled in Forks

My feelings

Post by sunny »

I found out about the Midnight Sun leak last night, from Stephenie’s website. I had a coat stolen once, just a coat. I felt so victimized, vulnerable. Someone had acted toward something of mine, as though I didn’t exist. All I lost was the ten minutes it had taken to choose it from the catalog. It didn’t come from my mind and heart. I hadn’t even sewn it myself. I just picked the color. But it hurt to know that someone disregarded my existence. So I understand Stephenie feeling hurt. It was a cruel, selfish thing someone did, and she doesn’t even have the consolation of hoping the people who did this to her would have frozen without it. I hope Stephenie’s friends and family give her the support she needs. I hope she is able to recover.

I hope Stephenie recovers from the pain of this theft. I hope she recovers from the pain of marketing, and editing, and all the things she hates about publishing. I hope she realizes that the anger of the social left and the confusion of the teenagers doesn’t mean that Breaking Dawn isn’t her best book yet. And I hope that she continues to write. And to give us what she writes. I still have hope for a Midnight Sun on my bookshelf.
YourFavoriteAries

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

I'm seriously sure I'm in the minority on this but i think it's stupid for her to even feel like giving up.

1. I don't think she is a whinny rich celebrity but I do think she is being rather melodramatic and weak.

Yes, she owes us nothing, nothing at all but that doesn't mean she isn't letting us down. Every single fan she has feels let down right now. ESPECIALLY (and I am NOT one of these people) the ones that didn't even read the leaked copy before she posted it. I don't feel the ones that did are wrong, but the ones that didn't definitely don't deserve this.

More importantly, she is letting HERSELF DOWN
by letting someone who hurt her win. Is that really what she wants, to just give up and let the person who did this win?

I'd, personally, like to hope she's better then that. I can understand her being upset but to me, this is absolutely no reason to postpone or discontinue this book. It's not as if someone posted a rough draft of the entire book. That would be different. She may not feel like the story would come out right but in all honesty she should still sit down and write it. Let me clarify:

She might have to push the date back until she can completely change and fix what tone might be wrong but she should NOT walk away. She should NOT give up. She should NOT let this control what she does. I can understand if she needs more time but the way she says it "indefinitely" sounds like she wants to give up, at least for awhile. Why not set a date (she can even keep this private) push to finish it by that date. If it's not the way she wants it set a new date and change it. Keep going until it's right.

How on earth does this leak make her work pointless?
:?

I've read the 12 chapters and they are amazing. That's a pretty freaking good rough draft if you ask me. Everyone else who has read it loves it! Isn't that what it's really about? Her work being shared and people being happy to read it? People see her work before it is finished all the time and now, a few more people do. That semi-small difference renders it pointless? I almost hate to say it but, the chapters being out is not a big deal. Again, I want to clarify...

Her trust being broken IS a big deal. The action of this person hurting her and how that makes her feel IS a big deal. However, The fact that the chapters are out is not. She should just, get over the fact that almost half of the book has been read by many people. It's not her "finished perfected" copy but hey, people still love it and she can't make it un-out so....just let it go. (though I don't feel that is the problem here, It's more how she her feelings and how she thinks it will effect her writing.)

Stuff happens, and then you must force yourself to move on.

And in all honesty, If Midnight Sun never gets finished it IS Stephenie's fault and it is ONLY her fault. I do not blame the person that leaked it for that. Yes, they did something that hurt her and yes they betrayed her trust but they did not stop her from writing the novel. She stopped herself from doing it. If anything she should be using this to motivate her more to finish and rise above the negativity that's been surrounding her lately.

If her solution is to give up and run away, I do not support her. I know I would not make the same decision, I would not advise her to make the same decision, and I truly believe she is reacting to this situation the wrong way.
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet
AudreyBlack
Settled in Forks

Post by AudreyBlack »

I am so sad, I was on my myspace and peter facinelli had posted a bulletin about the leaked chapters. i thought it was silly to have a bulletin about that, it was like advertising it. i dont think that was the intention at all. i always get on you tube and see if there are any new twilight trailer spoofs,( love those), and tonight there was a video posted by some princess chick saying that she got the link the Midnight Sun download and that she was going to give it to the first 10 people that contacted her. I of course was irate and left her nasty comment.LOL told her that i hoped steph sues her! I'm not just sad that we wont get to read Midnight Sun in full, but mostly for Stephanie. she has worked so hard for all of us, she has always been there and pretty much gave us everything we wanted. and she get repayed by some idiot like this, its so not fair.:( I am so sorry this had to happen to her.
AudreyBlack
Settled in Forks

Post by AudreyBlack »

YourFavoriteAries wrote:I'm seriously sure I'm in the minority on this but i think it's stupid for her to even feel like giving up.

1. I don't think she is a whinny rich celebrity but I do think she is being rather melodramatic and weak.

Yes, she owes us nothing, nothing at all but that doesn't mean she isn't letting us down. Every single fan she has feels let down right now. ESPECIALLY (and I am NOT one of these people) the ones that didn't even read the leaked copy before she posted it. I don't feel the ones that did are wrong, but the ones that didn't definitely don't deserve this.

More importantly, she is letting HERSELF DOWN
by letting someone who hurt her win. Is that really what she wants, to just give up and let the person who did this win?

I'd, personally, like to hope she's better then that. I can understand her being upset but to me, this is absolutely no reason to postpone or discontinue this book. It's not as if someone posted a rough draft of the entire book. That would be different. She may not feel like the story would come out right but in all honesty she should still sit down and write it. Let me clarify:

She might have to push the date back until she can completely change and fix what tone might be wrong but she should NOT walk away. She should NOT give up. She should NOT let this control what she does. I can understand if she needs more time but the way she says it "indefinitely" sounds like she wants to give up, at least for awhile. Why not set a date (she can even keep this private) push to finish it by that date. If it's not the way she wants it set a new date and change it. Keep going until it's right.

How on earth does this leak make her work pointless?
:?

I've read the 12 chapters and they are amazing. That's a pretty freaking good rough draft if you ask me. Everyone else who has read it loves it! Isn't that what it's really about? Her work being shared and people being happy to read it? People see her work before it is finished all the time and now, a few more people do. That semi-small difference renders it pointless? I almost hate to say it but, the chapters being out is not a big deal. Again, I want to clarify...

Her trust being broken IS a big deal. The action of this person hurting her and how that makes her feel IS a big deal. However, The fact that the chapters are out is not. She should just, get over the fact that almost half of the book has been read by many people. It's not her "finished perfected" copy but hey, people still love it and she can't make it un-out so....just let it go. (though I don't feel that is the problem here, It's more how she her feelings and how she thinks it will effect her writing.)

Stuff happens, and then you must force yourself to move on.

And in all honesty, If Midnight Sun never gets finished it IS Stephenie's fault and it is ONLY her fault. I do not blame the person that leaked it for that. Yes, they did something that hurt her and yes they betrayed her trust but they did not stop her from writing the novel. She stopped herself from doing it. If anything she should be using this to motivate her more to finish and rise above the negativity that's been surrounding her lately.

If her solution is to give up and run away, I do not support her. I know I would not make the same decision, I would not advise her to make the same decision, and I truly believe she is reacting to this situation the wrong way.
Last edited by AudreyBlack on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
YourFavoriteAries

Post by YourFavoriteAries »

AudreyBlack wrote: I have to say that Stephenie is NOT the one letting anyone Down!!! She was let down by the people that stole her work. How would you feel if you worked for years on a project and someone stole it from you? Maybe she just needs a break she isnt a machine and to be hones i think people demand to much of her sometimes. she is human !!
I don't see it as someone stealing it from her. They did not take it and claim it as their own. THAT would be stealing. They were still wrong and the laws might say it is "stealing" but that is not how I see it.

But even if, I HAVE had things I love and care about and put my heart and soul into stolen from me. I've also been betrayed in many ways, WE ALL HAVE. A fact of human existence.

If she needed a break then she could just you know say "I need a break"...
I would understand that, I'm not an inhuman freak that wants her to pump out books like a computer.
:lol:
Private Chloe Meadows of Jaspers Confederate Army- Stainless Carlet