Vampire Novels Like Twilight

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Re: Vampire Novels Like Twilight

Post by darkrider »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Anne Rice's series and Sherrilyn Kenyon's series are not Young Adult. They are both for mature readers. Either series has violence, sexual situations, graphic language, and adult themes. These series are written for older readers (17-18 and older). Twilight, Vampire Diaries, Vampire Academy, House of Night, Circue Du Freak are for younger readers. Walk through your local bookstore. You'll see that Anne Rice and Sherrilyn Kenyon books are marked for older readers.

The introduction to this thread specifies young adult books. There are impressionable people on this site, and I'm sure no one wants to endanger anyone (via reading adult material or getting grounded when caught with said material).

If you are unsure about a series or book that is mentioned, you can visit any online bookstore (such as amazon) or visit an online book club (such as Shelfari or Goodreads) where you will find reviews and recommendations.
Sorry Liz. D:

I said they weren't for children...I guess YA in my head means 16+.
Sorry, won't mention them again. I mean... mention what? =P

^^^Se already vanished rom the board!!! POOF!

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
VampireKnight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by VampireKnight »

I just finished reading the first installment of the Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith and I have to say I was very satisfied. I thought it was quite similar to Twilight in several situations. First you have Stefan which reminds me alot of Edward. Sometimes it felt like I was reading Twilight. But the plotline was good and it kept me hooked. The most I loved about it was the main character, Elena. She is such a strong character and I just adore her. It's so refreshing to have a girl who takes action and who doesn't sit around, and for the most part, appear totally helpless. *cough*Bella*cough* No offense to any die hard Bella Twilighter fans. I personally never really liked her till the end of Breaking Dawn. Ok enough said about that.

I am awaiting the second installment to the Vampire Diaries. I highly recommend the series to any vamp fan. And also I'm redoing my recommendation for Vampire book for Young Adult readers.

Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde (ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!!)
Vampire Diaries by L.J. Smith
Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith
Demon in My View by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Vampire Knight published by VIZ (Highly recommend this series. It is a manga but it's a great read!)
Vampire Game published by Tokyo Pop (another manga, but this one has a lighter and more commical twist to it. Another recommendation)
kl1028
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kl1028 »

evernight- claudia grey *love it!
vamps- nancy collins- kinda silly and vapid but okay...
vampire beach- alex duval *new obsession
the morganville vampire series is a must read!
night world and vampire diaries= love :D
and all the other books ppl said....
Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Isobelle »

Sunshine by Robin McKinley is one of my favorite vampire books. And I just finished the Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, its pretty good too.
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

I've read the Vampire Diaries and Blue Bloods in addition to Twilight. Neither series compares to Twilight.

I think the Vampire Diaries are VERY YA. They were entertaining, but not wonderful.

I would definitely recommend the Blue Bloods though. They are also YA, but I think the material was written more solidly. I love the fact that it combined actual US history into the plotlines.
BreathelessVampire
Fishing with Charlie

Post by BreathelessVampire »

I accidentally bought the second book. I am hoping to get the 1st book. I heard its pretty good.

I read Bloodline, its about Count Dracula's heir. A really wow book, I have yet to read the second one.
Team Edward. Team Jasper. Team Alice. Team Emmett
Because they are just plain sexy.

Trainee at Emmett's Demolition Crew

Member of Donating Blood To Jasper&Co.
VampireKnight
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by VampireKnight »

I just finished the first installment of The Dark Angel tilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce. I really enjoyed it. It's not your typical vampire novel but it's uniqueness held my interest. What I loved about is the fantasy world around the story. It was a fun read. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a different taste in the vampire realm.
audreywarenne
Frozen in Time

Post by audreywarenne »

i happen to love the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon but i do agree, it's not exactly a young kids book. it's for more mature minds and people, just by the content alone.

however there is a GREAT series that i love and the third book comes out soon for this series as well.

Blue Blood series by Melissa De La Cruz. i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes Twilight.
~ Cowards aren't the only ones who die a thousand deaths, sometimes heroes do too
~ I take Banner/Avatar Requests, send a PM
heifergrl1
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails
Location: Following the ever so saucy Eric Northman around...a lot...

Post by heifergrl1 »

I highly recommend Anne Rice's vampire novels. I loved Interview with a Vampire and Merrick, and all of her books are very good.

-Elizabeth
Oh the deliciousness!
E<3B
Doodle
Learning to Love Green

Post by Doodle »

The Vampirates series by Justin SomperI loved! I think they are the young end of young adult (12 - 14) but I really enjoyed them regardless. There are currently three books in the series (Demons of the Ocean, Tide of Terror and The Blood Captain).
"because days come and go, but my feelings for you are forever"