Scott Westerfeld --The Uglies series

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Re: Scott Westerfeld --The Uglies series

Post by threethings »

It gave a lot of stuff I didn't know about the book. How he thought to wrote them is an interesting story.
■ E<3B ■ Banner Goddess ■ Taking Requests
ImageImage
runswithwolves
Officially Bitten!
Location: On Taylor's right bicep staring at the new Wolfpack picture

Post by runswithwolves »

I just finished Extras and thought it was really good even tough everybody said it wasn't as good as the others.I think it would have been better if it was from Tally's POV but......
J<3B ~I <3 Ian~I<3Peeta~Team Zane RIP~I<3Fang
Taylor's right bicep ~ http://www.teamtaycob.webs.com/
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

But then there wouldn't be as much story. We'd just see Tally's POV of her rescuing Aya, and finiding the... space people.. the new Extras, and maybe some of David! *GRINS*
However, I did like the story of Extras. It was cool to see how other cities handeled the change (course the Japanese go insane, but its actually a fairly good system. Too bad there's no Godzilla to come destroy it)

I'm in position 3 of 3 at my library for Bogus to Bubbly. Its gunna take sooo long! *rawrs*
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

True, but I like Tally so much better than Aya, I'd rather it be 100 pages of her than 400 of Aya.
But that's not very interesting.
ImageImage
addictedbooklover
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by addictedbooklover »

Hi everyone!
I've read all 4 books, but I didn't like Extras. Pretty boring, if you ask me!

Team Jacethper! (Jacob, Seth and Jasper) Now, to fit Leah in there...

Thanks Cocoa for the banner :D

FrighteninLilMonster
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by FrighteninLilMonster »

I actually loved this series.

Uglies bored me, I don't know why. It seemed too scientific for me, and took a lot to concentrate on the words. Tally annoyed me too, betraying people like that to Cable, and with her broken promises to Shay. It wasn't until she started to grow a spine and kick start her brain towards the end that I got interested. And then she rescued everyone, and she seemed like someone with the potential to be a badass! And that changed my opinion of her.

Which is probably why I picked up Pretties; that, and I figured, I may as well trudge through the rest now that I'd read the first. But Pretties HOOKED me. It was so much better than Uglies! Tally lost her spinelessness and became quick and I don't know, prepared. She started to seem like someone you could read about. And Zane-la! :roll: Loved him. I was kinda annoyed with the idea of him at the start, 'cause hello, David. But what is it about him? The more I read, the more I loved. By the end of Pretties I was hooked, and completely sympathetic with poor Tally about Zane's condition. And so glad that she stayed with him. And kind of hating Shay. Pretties is my favourite in the series.

Specials comes a close second, though. I fluctuated between liking and hating Shay, and seeing David as good and bad, and liking the Special surge and hating it; I actually felt like I was seeing things through Tally's eyes. I was aching for her and Zane, and I cried like no one's business when he died! It was heart breaking. I actually almost liked Cable by the end of Specials, too. And Shay as a cured Special; less egotistical, more real, not as over the top and grudge holding. Loved her.
But Extras is probably my least favourite. Not that it wasn't good, but by this point, I LIKE Tally. I want to read more about her. She interests me now. She's totally badass and definitely heroine type, probably one of my favourite characters out of the many books I've read. Aya bored me. She was selfish, childish, and fame-greedy. So your face rank drops, really, big deal! More important things are going on in that forest than you making sure that your hovercam is getting good shots of everything! She annoyed me. I was counting the pages for Tally's return. And I was so glad that it came with Shay and Fausto - he was always one of my favourite Crims, and then Cutters.

I'm actually surprised at how much I liked the series, given how I didn't like Uglies much. I think I'll re-read that; maybe it won't seem like a science lesson now that I know the technology and their world. I can understand why Scott Westerfeld needed to build that world up before doing much else. And I can feel Pretty-speak slipping into my normal talk... I already called my brother brain-missing once today! :oops: That might be a problem. But it's so FUN.

...MegaPost over! Congratulations to anyone who braved reading through this... :lol:
'Out of nowhere, she was perched on Jasper's back, her lips at his neck.
Jasper chuckled, shaking his head.
"You truly are one frightening little monster."'
~APPC~
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I need to reread this series, seriously. I think it's been two or three years now.
But I wonder how the movie's going (if it's going at all). I'm worried about the ending and stuff, because they probably won't make sequels, very few books-to-movies get that. It'll most likely be lame.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
threethings
Phase Control Expert

Post by threethings »

debussygirl wrote:I need to reread this series, seriously. I think it's been two or three years now.
But I wonder how the movie's going (if it's going at all). I'm worried about the ending and stuff, because they probably won't make sequels, very few books-to-movies get that. It'll most likely be lame.
I dunno about the ending. Scott said he talked to producers a few days ago, and it's seems pretty much a-go.
Read his blog.
ImageImage
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

What I meant by "going at all" is if it's moving forward at all. It's been flat forever it seems like.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

I just had this weird brainspark, about the correlation between Twitter trending topics and face rank in Extras. Or bloggers in general, doesn't have to be just Twitter.
But the trending topics are like the people with the highest face rank, the coolest and kick-est and most talked about and loved. So currently... District 9 and Mad Men are pretty much stuck up there. They're like Nana Love, but here its a bit easier to lose face rank than it is in... Aya's city.
That means All Time Low and We The Kings are as cool as Hiro! :D