Remembering September 11th

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Cocoa

Remembering September 11th

Post by Cocoa »

Express your thoughts and feelings about this somber day. Tell us where you where, what you remember and honor those who left us on that Tuesday morning 7 years ago.

Remember the Firefighters

Youtube video of the initial events that morning.

Continued News coverage from that morning

Tribute Video

The President's Speech
Crooked_Rose
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Remembering September 11th

Post by Crooked_Rose »

God Bless the Families and friends who left us today seven years ago.

I still shed tears for the heroes and patriots that are gone.

You will be honored in my heart forever.

Back to the Sun. Back to the shore. Back to what I was before.

*Under Construction*
Sharenei
Wandering Through Town

Post by Sharenei »

Disclaimer: I grew up in a military home, and have every respect for the men and women of my country in uniform. ANY uniform. They're all doing things I wouldn't have the patience or physical strength to do, and they usually do it for a pittance, and at a moment's notice, risking their lives and their families in the name of everything they stand for.

I remember September 11th. I was just waking up when my older sister told me about what was happening on television; I remember asking if "Die Hard" was on, and she wasn't fully awake yet. She was, and forced me to sit down and watch what was going on. My youngest sister was still in high school, and was in lockdown for four hours afterward; my mother was locked on base in the only Defcon Delta I have ever known in my life. My father, who'd gone off base for lunch, was not allowed back on--he was non-essential personnel. Aside from when I had to go to work (which was surprisingly busy), no one was allowed to leave the house or have friends over for the rest of the day; my father wanted to know exactly where we were, and what our condition was.

So, what's with the preamble, you ask? I'm sick of mourning, is what. We didn't lose. We didn't go down. We didn't break. Yes, hundreds of people died in a horrible fashion in the name of brainwashed madmen's beliefs. Yes, at least two major symbols of my country were attacked. But these things could happen at any time, and they'd be forgotten in a year, because the symbols that broke were just buildings. "Just buildings!" you cry, "How can you say that?!" (And a string of randomly-selected expletives, I'm sure. Give me a minute, I'm getting there.)

What's the one symbol that we stand by the most? What gets waved around every Independence Day (and sometimes every day in between)? What do the men and women in uniform (any uniform) swear allegiance to?

The flag.

What's the one symbol that never broke, never faltered? The symbol that rose above the rubble and grief and said "Pull the other one!"

The flag.

Attacks on America really aren't new. Anyone remember Pearl Harbor? Just because it didn't happen on the mainland doesn't mean it wasn't an attack against us. Just because they only had one target doesn't mean it wasn't an attack against us. Mourn the lost, but let the weeping cease, for we are not lost! Remember it as the day our noses got bloodied, but we came back (and how!) and got our gear together. Whatever your opinions on the war that followed, we took neither attack lying down. September 11th isn't just a day of remembrance; it's a day of hope. It's a day our eyes are opened to the fact that even the strongest country can have chinks in its armor, and we act to cover them.

These are just the thoughts of one American citizen. Take them as you will.
xoxocamille
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by xoxocamille »

I too, would like to express my deepest apologies to those who have lost their loved ones.
Stay strong, there's always going to be a better day, and I know that whoever you have lost is now looking down upon you, wherever they may be.

It's been seven years, but to me, it seems as though it was just yesterday or something.
All those innocent people... the firefighters and rescue-people who have saved other's lives... you are all my hero. Thank you for everything.

My heart goes to all of them<3
[I dazzled her. My silent heart swelled with a hope more intense than I
could ever remember having felt before.] -Edward Cullen, Midnight Sun
darkrider
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by darkrider »

I remember I was in 4th grade-it was supposed to be my first day of dance class at the Central Park in Plantation, Fl and it was a on tuesday. I remember the principal coming into the class room and crying saying "one of the twin towers has just been hit by a plane." At the time it was just one, I'm pretty sure. And it was just the one tower at first. We turned on the news jsut as the second plane was hitting. All I could think was "please let daddy be safe." My dad worked just around the corner from the towers and I was so worried about him. My teahcer, she let me call him-he didn't answer. It went straight to his voice mail. I couldn't get a hold of him and I was scared that I may never see my dad again. All that was going through my head was how angry I was at myself for not being closer to him when I had the chance. Then, I was mad at him because he left my mom and I alone. He left us and now he was most lilely dead somewhere in New York while I was in Florida, alone and without a father for years.

At the end of the school day my teahcer told me that I had a phone call. I go to her phone and say "hello?" and It was my dad, I heard people yelling and screaming in the background. He told me he was on the bridge walking to Jersey, where he lived. He said that that was the only way out of the city, they weren't letting anybody in and no cars were allowed out. He was right down the street at lunch with some of his co-workers when the plane hit. He said that he heard it and felt it. I was so grateful to the fates that they kept my daddy safe. I feel for all those who lost a father, brother, sister, mom, uncle, a loved one. May they rest in peace...

-Dark
My twinnie and my fav twi guy=meteor
Randomness Reggie! BACK in...dark?
Emmett's Demolition Crew:Trainee
Team Edmartt! <<for the clueless, edward+emmett
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I now know how our elder generations feel about Pearl Harbor and the Kennedy Assassination.

Seven years ago, I remember waking up hearing the television, hubby and I always have the news on in the morning. I went straight to the shower and as I got out, my hubby was there looking shell shocked. I asked him what was wrong and he said a plane crashed into the Trade Center. That was the start of my day. While I got ready for work we watched as the nation saw the other plane crashes and felt the fear of knowing it was more than just a coincident of accidents. When I got to work, we were hardly productive, we kept checking online news, going into the conference room to watch the news channel. Listening to coworkers who had family on the East Coast, checking in to make sure they were alright. I'd never been more afraid nor more overcome with grief for those that were suffering and had lost their lives.

This is a day I will never forget. Every September 11th, I wear my flag pin and remember. I say prayers for those that survived and still weep for those that were lost. The pain has not subsided in seven years, I doubt it will ever go away. I will never forget.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
KaseyHeartEdward
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by KaseyHeartEdward »

Seven years.

I was about 14 and it was my freshman year in high school.

I live in California.

I remember reading my book in the car with the radio on. I then hear my mom say that the twin towers had been hit in i new your. A terroist attack.

She then asked if i wanted to go to school i said no. All those people.

I remember going to my mother's work the tv was on the news channel and i just saw the plane hitting the towers over and over. The ash falling. People's faces.

I am so sorry for all the people who were lost that day. For all the people who were left behind.
You are in my thoughts today.

Darkrider: I'm glad your dad was okay. And i am sorry you had to go through that.
Love Always ~KaseyHeartEdward

Original Twilighter
midnight_fix
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by midnight_fix »

This anniversary is always pretty emotional for me, I can't even watch the video packages they put together for the news channels where they show everything again...I become a blubbering basket case.

I remember when I watched it on tv before the second tower was hit and no one really knew what was going on I tried to tell my mom we were being bombed or something and she blew me off like " yea sure, honey" and went back to bed. I then went to work( I worked at a fast food resteraunt then) and every car that went through the drive through had the news radio on, so I basically heard nothing else the whole day....it was a long day. When I came home my mom felt bad, she was like "I didn't know how serious you were...sorry"

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families and friends at this difficult time, and I, among many, will never forget the tragedy and bravery of that fateful day.
Edward talks to me in my head.....they tried to give me medication for that but I wouldn't let them.
NewMillenium
Wandering Through Town

Post by NewMillenium »

I was only in Elementary school when it happened, but I live in Virginia and my older sister was with her High School class visiting Washington DC for their field trip when it happened and they were in total lockdown. I just went to D.C last month and visited some of the memorials.
I can't believe it really happened seven years ago! I think I was about that old when it happened. Wow.
My heart goes out to the people that died and to the families they left behind.
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.
PiXiE_Shopaholic1025
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by PiXiE_Shopaholic1025 »

I was in Fifth grade. :) I actually wasn't in school at that time when the attacks actually happened. I had a doctor's appointment to get my new hearing aids... and then one of the office ladies ran in and told my audiologist that one of the Twin Towers got hit by a jet. I remember those words exactly. Although I couldn't hear what she was saying... I read her lips and I was really confused.

My mom had turned the radio on to a news channel when she was driving back home and was like ducking and looking around her while she was driving. I live in NH. I didn't think anything would happen to me _here_. Although my mom thought differently. So the whole time driving back to the school I tried to calm my mom down. I really didn't understand fully what was going on until I got to the school. I went to school during Specials (art for me) so I had to drop my stuff off in my class room before going to Art. The TV was on in the class room and I saw the first Twin Tower fall. My jaw dropped. I ran out of the class as fast as I could before my teacher found out I was in the room while the TV was on. (they weren't supposed to have them on)

I don't think I'll ever forget that day. And my condolences go out to all the family members who lost their loved ones on that tragic day. And my heart and prayers go out to all who's fighting in the war. Iraq AND Afghanistan.

I have my cousin who's in Afghanistan right now, and it's horrible because he has three small children and a wife waiting for him to come home.
|| "And I'm a Virgo!" || "This hostage stuff is fun." || ~Forever Switzerland~ ||