General Discussion on Books and Movie to book adaptations

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: General Discussion on Books and Movie to book adaptations

Post by EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs »

Memoirs of a Geisha...I know most people didn't like the movie after reading the book, but I enjoyed both immensly. The book was better, of course, but there were things that needed a visual representation, and the movie did that beautifully.

Fried Green Tomatoes...problaby one of my favourite books and movies, I cry every time. There are a number of things that get changed, but most of the story is spot on in the movie. And I'm sorry, but Kathy Bates was frikken hilarious in this movie.

Emma...this is my FAVOURITE Jane Austen book, and I absolutely loved the movie (with Gwynneth Paltrow). I thought they did an amazing job. FYI, Clueless was a pretty great adaptation of the book as well, even if it was a modern spin of the story.

I'm really looking forward to the movie for The Lovely Bones. I LOVED the book, and really hope the movie stays true to the story.
Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani »

EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs wrote:Memoirs of a Geisha...I know most people didn't like the movie after reading the book, but I enjoyed both immensly. The book was better, of course, but there were things that needed a visual representation, and the movie did that beautifully.
I absolutely LOVE this movie. I haven't read the book yet.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/
EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs

Post by EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs »

Destani wrote:
EvrThinEvrMinEvrRs wrote:Memoirs of a Geisha...I know most people didn't like the movie after reading the book, but I enjoyed both immensly. The book was better, of course, but there were things that needed a visual representation, and the movie did that beautifully.
I absolutely LOVE this movie. I haven't read the book yet.

oh you have to read the book, I've read it three times and it is just so beautifully written!
cutesweetiezzz
Fishing with Charlie

Post by cutesweetiezzz »

Yes, Memoirs of a Geisha.
I loved it.
I didn't watch the movie yet, but I'm planning soon.
Thank you Camille for making me this banner and being such an amazing friend and person. Love you. <3
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

I recently saw Jane Eyre. I didn't like it. It just didn't capture the book right. I don't know, it was just missing something to me. I pretty much don't like long books to be made into movies, they bite. I think Gone With the Wind got it right, but that's it, or all that I can think of at the moment.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
alellie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by alellie »

One word: Eragon.

Three words: Book is AWESOME.

Even more words: Movie was so disappointing and I had to lock myself in the bathroom and wonder why the heck I just watched that movie.

-Janine
Vampirechick101/Alellie: PICAOS/ Zookeepers to Mr. Panda
Gemini93
Settled in Forks

Post by Gemini93 »

For all who are interested:
The Time Traveler's Wife is being made into a movie with Rachael McAdams.

I'm in the middle of reading the book and I am absolutely LOVING it. I can't wait to see the movie to see if it measures up to the book (I'm guessing it won't, but hey, you never know...)
***INSERT WITTY AND CREATIVE TWILIGHT-RELATED BANNER HERE***
lag28wa
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by lag28wa »

Most movies that come from books, I find the time to read the book first, aside from a few exceptions, I saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" without reading the book, someone told me it was not a good adaptation and the book is better.

I agree that the Lord of the Rings was a beautiful adaptation for film, I actually hadn't read the books so I was one of the people that wasn't part of the built in fanbase for the movie but went to see the movies with my avid reader brother and dad who were fanatics and I really enjoyed the movies. I still have not read the books however.

Another book I really liked in its adaptation was Atonment. Its pretty adult book, and a pretty adult movie. But I think all the major parts were there. They didn't really gloss over things, and in a few cases were able to better articulate and event or an idea better that the book was. I recommend both. Book first, by Ian McEwan, then watch the movie.

That's all I can think of for now.
It is not length of life, but depth of life---Ralph Waldo Emerson
Banner by emaleth @ Vesparium
LadyViolet
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by LadyViolet »

I am a tad bit psychopathic when it comes to book-film adaptations. if they do a film of a book i love and muck it up i get extremely angry but i very happy if they do t right.
1. harry potter films first 2 alright after that ARGH!!
2. Stardust- yea i know there is a lot of differences but i like both on their own
3. Eragon - dandyvampiregirl so with you about the film they couldn't have destroyed it better even if they fired it into a wood chipper at the speed of light . (i have read Brisingr as well did NOT see that revelation coming ;) )
4. Atonement- this was pretty good i thought loved both of them
5. other boleyn girl - completely missed out half of the story and made it all about anne (when it should be about mary)
6. Lord of the Rings - I LOVE THESE FILMS!!! OMG officially my favourite films ever! although i read the books after seeing the films i know how much Peter jackson kept as close to the books as possible (i'm a nerd and watched the extended editions as well as the special features :ugeek: ) in my opinion the only books properly adapted into films.

Right ran out of films to criticise *calm breathing* need to relax now :oops:
sorry for the rant guys
*Does crazy dance with vampire penguin*
I'm staying!!!
I'm on The List :D
Jess & Rach - Valek's girls ;)
ragdoll

Post by ragdoll »

Well I have a general rule for watching movies when I've read the book first - I have to take it as seperate, a similar story but different, and that way I'm not so disappointed. Obviously if a movie is very close to a book than I can except them together but usually I just take them as different stories with a similar plot and the same name. Just because a story is different to the book it doesn't mean it can't still be amazing so I just seperate them in my mind. Some examples would be A Walk to Remember. I love the book and I love the movie but the setting and details are very different. And then PS I Love You. I loved the book. I read it a few times and the movie is nothing like it at all. I mean I'm from Dublin and the story to me fit in Dublin.I loved the characters in the book too. But I still liked the movie on it's own. (If you haven't read it, you really should!)
Congratulations to the Irish rugby team!!!!! Grand Slam at last!!!

Team Seth: 'Cos he's the bestest! :D

My quotes forum: http://quotations.forumotion.com/forum.htm