General Discussion on Books and Movie to book adaptations

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Re: General Discussion on Books and Movie to book adaptations

Post by debussygirl »

LadyViolet wrote: 1. harry potter films first 2 alright after that ARGH!!
Yes! Finally someone who agrees with me!! Everyone seems to love all the HP films, but it's like, huh? Are you serious? After the second one they all suck! That's why I wasn't mad at all when HP6 got moved up until July and Twilight moved in a few weeks early, because I have a really good feeling that the movie for Twilight won't suck.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

I am soooo glad I found this thread! Like everyone I know tells me not to watch Film adaptions of book because they annoy me so much. I don't wanna say it but I think I am really not going to like twilight. :?
I really think that ragdoll has the right Idea I just can't stop going "What the hell? This never fricking Happened!" when I watch stuff.
Everyone I've ever talked to about it thought that the Eragon movie couldn't have been liked less if they'd killed off all the main characters, introduced the teletubbies and had a tribute to Hitler in it. So that one people always understand. But about other films people just don't get it, but now I've read this thread i am really happy to know that other people hate the HP films too, But tell me - aren't you all gonna see the next 3 anyway? I am.
dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:Lord of the RIngs was EPIC. I watched the movies first, cuz they came out when I was 10, and wouldn't have understood the books, but when I finally did read them, I was happy with how much they kept. Course, I can still point out EVERY differentiation from the books. But it all fit together really well into one of the most epic movies ever!
Eragon- ... Holy crap. Honestly, I love the books. Theyre not the best ever, but theyre still really good (am I the only one who's read Brisingr???) but the MOVIE. ARGH. That was painful! They took about half the plot and matched it up with a new plot that hardly made sense, and nothing truely felt like the book did! They definately could have done a better job.
But last, and not least, the most painful adaption...
The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising
That. Was. Horrible. Honestly, it should even be NAMED after the Dark is Rising. The book is too good to be degraded with such a horrible movie. Not even Susan Cooper, the author, liked it. At all. They took maybe, two plot points, screwed everything else, tried to modernize it (this book CANNOT be modernized) and added new thins that never ever existed and made NO sense. I was in tears, it was that bad. *shudders*

I assume you all think I'm too harsh a critic, but that's just how I am. I'm a die hard book fan. (And The Seeker really did suck)
Which is why I doubt I'm going to like Twilight.
I totally agree with everything you said there - but I haven't seen The Dark Is Rising yet but I saw the Advert and Thought " Uhhhhhh WHAT?"
I don't think that you're a harsh critic - I am probobly worse.

well yeh - that's all i can think of for the moment - but to let you know, there's a Inheritance trilogy thread somewhere if you want to take a look at it.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

^^ Thank you for agreeing with me on Twilight. I really doubt I'll like it. Specially after the new trailer.
I've been threatend with duct tape during the entire movie. I literally am not allowed to talk during it.
And yes, there's an Inheritance Thread. I enjoy gamboodiling about over there.
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

^^ I think my Friends usually want to do that to me but I doubt I'll be that bad - I'll probobly be sittin with my mouth open thinking " Oh they did NOT just ..." etc lol
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
vampman
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by vampman »

dandyvampgirl_13,

I could not agree more with Eragon. The movie was a travesty! Brsingr was very good. Although I thought it was supposed to be the last one. Now we have to wait a few more years for that series to finish!

Lord Of The Rings were great book to movie adaptations. The only thing is, I wish they would have left Tom Bombadill in the movie. What a strange and interesting creature he was!
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

books are always better! period! I do see movies that are adapted from books but I don't try to compare because I know I'll just be disappointed
roseaurora
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by roseaurora »

I used to think that there was no way I would ever like a movie version of a story better than the actual book, but there is one exception: Shawshank Redemption!

It is based on a short story by Steven King, and seriously.... movie is better! Granted they expanded the story quite a bit which helped (it is a 2.5 hour movie from a 106 page novella)
Wants to move to Forks and live with the Cullens forever.
Banner by the fabulous MRK
I ♥ my Lexily!
JenJen2112
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by JenJen2112 »

ohh forgot about Shawshank Redemption...that is an excellent movie
debussygirl
Joining the Hunt for Enemies

Post by debussygirl »

Inkheart.
Amazing book, more for pre-teens but I love it anyway. The movie was pretty good and fairly close up until the end. It made me so upset that Dustfinger got sent back! I guess they wanted closure for the movie or something, but it still disappointed me because now there's no hope for Inkspell to be a movie without completely ruining the whole series.
Team Edward&Esme~SBS Assistant 2 the Cobosses~APPC
St Cullens Head of Neurology~Tetrarch
Need something to read? Try http://www.jennacooper.com
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

book to movie adaptation is always hard. how do you take a book (like Twilight 500+ pages) into a 2 hour movie? it stinks how some stuff has to be left out & changed (why oh why couldn't it have been 3 hours?)

for example I've been reading the Anne of Green Gables series for the 1st time in probably 10 years. I've seen the movies a couple times & most recently & it amazed me how many differences/changes/added stuff there were in this series compared to the book! I couldn't beleive that something like Anne would be changed so much. I guess it really is a hard thing to do.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson