The Third Table

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: The Third Table

Post by oleander »

Ouisa wrote: I like the marks in the House of Night series, particularly how they are influenced by one's gifts or services to the goddess. And I like Nyx the Goddess as well. I like the elemental aspects and other gifts too. (I just finsihed book four in this series and really loved it.)
I'm so glad that someone else has read these books. They were recommended to me last week by my trusty bookstore (and Twilight-loving) manager and i read all four books in three days. They weren't Twilight, that's for sure, but I really enjoyed them because they weren't Twilight. I loved the idea of the marks and the gifts and the fact that vampyrism (i'm still not used to the Y in vampyre) is so deeply rooted in pagan tradition. I never would have thought of combining vampire lore and wiccan traditions, but they worked so well together.

I can't wait to read the next book...sigh...it's a long wait until March!

I don't have anything to say about how Twilight has affected my kids because i don't have any. I can say, however, that it has driven my friends nuts because i'm always talking about it or making obscure references to baking or various characters/events from the books. It has also driven my cat crazy...i don't cuddle as much when i'm curled up with a book. :lol:
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I have made smores over the open gas flame of my stove top! Boy, that sounds SO good, we used to do it all the time at my sorority.

How has your Twilight Obsession affected your kids? Well, my kids, Midori and Bailey, don't mind at all. They love snuggling next to me while I read for hours. :D Seriously though, Twilight has helped my adopted sister and I bond on another level. I never thought we shared a taste of literature and through Twilight, we have started sharing and discussing books as well. It has helped to add another element and connection between us. We are looking foward to seeing the Twilight movie together.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

Other than S'mores cupcakes my favorite way to have S'mores is to make them with peeps instead of marshmallows! It's amazing! We put one graham cracker down with chocolate on top and then a peep sitting on top of that. We put it in the broiler after that. and then SMOOSH the peep with the other cracker. It's devine. We like to call them Voldesmores because of this hysterical comic we saw once about Voldemort eating peeps.
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

I love that Ouisa, voldesmores. I will have to remember that at easter time. It sounds a little mean to SMOOSH a peep, but you're gonna eat it anyway right?!
by Laniyeah on photobucket
somethingblue
The Godmother

Post by somethingblue »

Ouisa wrote:Other than S'mores cupcakes my favorite way to have S'mores is to make them with peeps instead of marshmallows! It's amazing! We put one graham cracker down with chocolate on top and then a peep sitting on top of that. We put it in the broiler after that. and then SMOOSH the peep with the other cracker. It's devine. We like to call them Voldesmores because of this hysterical comic we saw once about Voldemort eating peeps.
WHAT??? Now why doesn't Blue have this comic and know about Voldesmores??? That is absolutely hilarious. :lol: Hmmm, I have peeps left from Forks, I must go find my graham crackers and chocolate.
Ouisa
Taking over the world and making it pretty!

Post by Ouisa »

http://acciobrain.ligermagic.com/silly.php
scroll down to 2005. Click on peeps = evil
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Quick omnibus post because I've got very behind in the last few days!
Jenni Elyse wrote:Fan fiction can't satisfy this want because no one comes close to her ability to know her character's feelings, thoughts, and reactions and also how she'd portray them. (I hope that makes sense.)
Total sense. What Fan fic falls short in recreating isn't just what Edward and Bella would do, but also how Stephenie would tell their story. Capturing not only Edward and Bella's voices but also Stephenie's. Though to be fair, not all fanfic is even trying to mimic her narrative (and there's no reason it ought to...).
bac wrote:She seems pretty put out by the time I spend on the lex and reading the books. I have tried to be more balanced within the last 6 months or so, but I think the seed of resentment was already there and won't lift.
Ah yes.... I know about this resentment. It has waxed, and waned -- enough for my daughter to rediscover an interest in the books -- and waxed again: currently scorn is back in the ascendancy ("honestly mum, haven't you got over it by now?''). As you say: whatever.... We know why we're still having fun.

Oh, Ouisa...Voldesmores. I love it. Don't the peeps give the whole thing a weird pink flavour though?

Ok this is making me hungry and it's REALLY time for bed. Even on this side of the Atlantic! I'm with S'Blue, Ouisa: thank you for this great thread. Cupcakes, smushed melted marshmallows and obsessions. I will sleep well tonight.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

Hi everybody!!! I'm finally back from a long weekend in Rome and I must say I missed the Lex a lot :D

Unfortunately, I still don't have kids so I can't answer the last question...but I can say my passion for the Twilight saga has affected my fiancè: when he understands that it's my reading night he picks up a book and reads too, not Twilight but that's a good to spend the evening.

I have a new question for you all, though...

Of the stories mentioned in the four books (Alice's past, Esme's, the treaty...) which one would you like to read as a spin-off?

Personally, I'd love to read the whole story about Alice and Jasper...it would be nice to read how they grew loving each other after that first meeting in the diner. And Jasper, as you already know, is one of my favourite characters in the series :oops:
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight »

I hate Peeps with a passion, but putting them on S'mores sounds kinda nice! lol!

I don't have kids, either... however, I did buy Tw and NM for my mom 2 weeks ago. She is a nurse and LOVES to cross-stitch; she makes us kids something for Christmas every year, and she is so busy with that right now. She kept begging to borrow my books, but I kept reading them through (seriously) and telling her no... so I got her her own! My mother is not a reader; she was as a child, tho. In the last 2 weeks, I've asked her 3 times how she's coming on Tw, and I get vague responses; she was stuck on ch. 8 for a week; she got busy and wanted to finish the Christmas towel she was working on. She called me yesterday and said she was at the meadow part, and asked which actor they got to play this god-like hunk... I told her, and of course, she's never heard of RP. She says, "no human can live up to this image." LOL!! So we got into a whole conversation about the books; I gave her the background and told her how it all got started; there was so much I couldn't tell her because she's only half-way through Tw and didn't want to spoil it for her...but she's enjoying it. Mom wants to come see the movie with me... and she wants a Twilight t-shirt.

Which story would I like to see as a spin-off? Well, Alice is my favorite character; is it ever explained why the date on her tombstone and date of committment to the asylum are the same? Her story would be very interesting. Emmett!!!!! I love Emmett's sense of humor in BD!! Really the only thing we know of him was that Rose found him during a bear attack; his background and newborn years would be good, too. Ooo, I would like to read about Edward's rebellion years... tracking down the bad guys, dealing with what he is- very good stuff! Yes- the story surrounding the treaty would be GREAT!

Ugh... fan fiction... I've been bogged down in the Fan Fic Recommendation thread for 5 days. *sigh*... I've read about a dozen, and I've only enjoyed 3. I've decided to stop reading all that. It's not that some stories are awful, it's just that SM's characters are a set thing to me- they behave a certain way, they say certain things; it's just been weird to read some of the things- Edward would never say that, or Bella would never be that way, Carlisle isn't passive like that... so, I'll just stick with the real stories.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Backstories i'd like to hear: I'd like to know more about Alice and her gift and being put in the asylum; and i would definitely like to hear more about Emmett. His backstory seems to not stand out like the others. I feel like i know enough about Rosalie. Carlisle's story would also be really cool, especially from his time with the Volturi.