BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Post by Pel »

Yes, Stephenie Meyer is a Mormon, also knows as a member of the Latter Day Saints (LDS).

This forum is for discussion of the Mormon faith. Since faith of any type is a highly personal matter, please be very careful how things are phrased on this thread in order to avoid offense or misunderstanding.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Re: BYU is Stephenie a Mormon?

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

*flails* Yah, first post on the Mormon thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was at Stephanie's graduation!!!! I was in the Marriot center with her, and I have the commencment program with her name in it! My dad got his masters the year she graduated, and my mum was an English major at BYU while she was too! But sadly, neither of them knew her. I was very disappointed with them. :(
Stake dance are pretty awesome. depending on the music and who's there. Do people agree? Or are they all lame, like some of the older Mia Maids in my ward say?
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

OOH. A Mormon Thread!!
I haven't been to a stake dance yet, but only 4 more months and then I get to go.
I must be one of the only Mormons who's never been to Salt Lake. I live in Canada, so it's kinda far, but still. And I've never been to any of the BYU campuses. Oh well, maybe I'll catch a bus down next summer.
chessley_meyers
Wandering Through Town

Post by chessley_meyers »

Ahh...stake dances. Good luck with that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else thinks its a little weird that the media always makes a big deal if celebrities are Mormon, but rarely if they are any other religion. I think its unfair that people like Stephenie Meyer have to take flak for their beliefs, when other famous people don't necessarily have to. Your thoughts?
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

It isn't just media - it's everything. I don't know hardly any of my friends religions, but they all know I'm Mormon. My mother worked for the government with about 3-4 other LDS and she would frequently say that you couldn't pin point the Methodists or the Baptists, but everyone know who the Mormons were. I think the lack of coffee is a dead give away first and foremost, and then everything else falls into place.

But you're very right about the media honing in on the religion. Take Dan Brown for example, who wrote one of the most controversial religious pieces of fiction in recent years. (DaVinci Code) With as many specials that were on TV or articles written about that book, I can't remember them ever really talking about his own religion. And I was a big fan of that book. I watched a lot of those specials. I can't tell you what religion he is. I'm inclined to say Catholic because of Angles and Demons, but I really don't know.
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

I'm with you guys there. People just know. I was asked out multiple times and always said no and everybody knew then. And I don't drink iced tea.
My dad is a Crown Prosecutor for Alberta Justice and you can tell. The Chief Crown in also in our ward, but still. All the other Crowns spend time at the bars and drinking coffee.
I don't know if any of you read the Golden Compass or heard about the Catholic thing with that.
Philip Pullman is an avid atheist. In his books Catholics are the bad guys. There was a huge controversy about that.
As for famous people, Aaron Eckhart ring a bell? He's inactive now but if you watch the church movies from the late 80s, early 90s he's in tons of them.
American Idol too. Everybody knew that David Archuleta was Mormon. It was "obvious".
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Its cuz we're awesome like that!
Haha.
Dont people always say we members have this special quality thats so hard to pinpoint?
Dont forget Brooke White!
At my school, there's quite a few members, and we all hang out together, and everyone knows we're Mormon. Its rather nice, I don't get bugged too much.
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

It must be nice to go to a school that has tons of members. In my grade, there are 4 or 5 and I'm not friends with any of them. They think they're better than everybody else and I don't like that.
On the upside, in the grade above me, there are more. One of them is one of my closest friends. The majority of our youth are at the high school (grades 10-12) with my mom, who works with the disabled kids there. My closest member friends here go to the high school so I see them at church functions and that's it. All of my other friends are non-members.
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

HipsAndHearts wrote:I'm with you guys there. People just know. I was asked out multiple times and always said no and everybody knew then. And I don't drink iced tea.
My dad is a Crown Prosecutor for Alberta Justice and you can tell. The Chief Crown in also in our ward, but still. All the other Crowns spend time at the bars and drinking coffee.
I don't know if any of you read the Golden Compass or heard about the Catholic thing with that.
Philip Pullman is an avid atheist. In his books Catholics are the bad guys. There was a huge controversy about that.
As for famous people, Aaron Eckhart ring a bell? He's inactive now but if you watch the church movies from the late 80s, early 90s he's in tons of them.
American Idol too. Everybody knew that David Archuleta was Mormon. It was "obvious".
HipsAndHearts, another Canadian!

I used to visit the old BYU / Mormon thread - I had a lot of my questions answered there (Pel is right - talking religion can be a dicey thing - but I think if we try to be as respectful as possible that we can do it).

As a Catholic, I have read quite a bit about Mr. Pullman and The Golden Compass.
In interviews, he stated that he intended to be an evangelist for atheism, and he wanted his series to be the "anti-Narnia". I believe that, not only does he intensely dislike Catholics, he holds all major religions in disdain.
That's a shame.

I appreciate the "faith elements" in Stephenie's books. Where else can the message "true love waits" be considered so appealing? So many books portray sex before marriage as a given that it was refreshing to see that, even though it can be difficult to postpone that type of intimacy, it is worth it.

I was also quite delighted with the "pro-life" message of the books.
I don't want to get into any heated discussions on abortion (I think, between abortion, politics and religion, those are three absolutely taboo areas for discussion in most circles), but what is the Mormon position on reproductive issues?
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

Where are you from in Canada?? I really need a friend that lives somewhat close to Alberta. Closer than Ontario, at least.