Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Re: Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Post by Feathers »

I need to finish Ashes, and the ONLY reason I'm reading Ashes is because so many people told me that it was better than Bones. Though I like being surprised, I was disappointed with the surprise in Bones. I felt... played with. The whole sibling thing. I don't like stories to be predictable, don't get me wrong, but I also like it when the surprise happens and you go "OH! so THATS what was implied when so-and-so said/did such-and-such" you know? Things click; there were hints.

In this case I felt like there weren't any hints. I wasn't left with realizations, I was left thinking "...wha? where did THAT come from!?" Did anyone else feel the same way? I felt a little betrayed by the author, but don't worry, I'm going to read Ashes, and if it's as good as everyone says, I may be eagerly awaiting Glass, too. :p

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Don't give up. Ashes is better and fixes some of the "...wha?" moments. I like unpredictability when it makes sense in hindsight. I like when the author is smarted than I am...

My only criticism of Ashes is that some of the scenes were too short. Clare seems to be so into the pacing of the book that some situations don't get the attention that I feel they're due. I felt she sacraficed some detail for the pace. That's unfortunate to me because I don't think the pace would have suffered for it. These are the same readers devouring 800 pages of Potter and BD.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
museicalking
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by museicalking »

they're great to read. but sometimes i want certain thing to happen and most of the time it goes the other way.
Team Emmett- EDC, Inc. Emmett Demolition Crew.
Team Rosalie- Every Rose has its Thorns
Team Alice- Seeing the Future Since 1901
<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3TWLIGHT<3
kl1028
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kl1028 »

city of glass needs to come out cuz its true there are a lot of wat? moments in the books and in this book we better get answers...have you all read the exerts shes put up on her myspace? theres one between jace and alec that is a must read
~twilight_princess~
Wandering Through Town

Post by ~twilight_princess~ »

I read them. and I really liked them, the first two at least. I'm excited for the next one!

In reply to SPOLIER: Me too! Oh my gosh. For a while, I had the theory that they won't end up being related, but Idk

Anyone with a facebook should join my Stephenie Meyer group! Here:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10202818409
kl1028

Post by kl1028 »

I like how you made the spoiler lite so im gonna do that for mine too :)

spoiler: they cant be related! i really dont believe they are, valentine just wants them at odds....i have a theory kinda that if they were allowed to actualize their love they would be an unstoppable force.

and the new september excerpt is up on her myspace spoiler:i cant wait to see in the book wat it is that shocks jace
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Actually it was Ni'Ma that convinced me to keep reading, and I'm working through Ashes. (And about three other books. the problem with summer reading lists is you actually need time in the summer to read them. Heh. Summer School ate up a lot of my time.

Bones Spoiler: Personally, I felt like the Jace at the end of Bones when he thought Valentine was his father (I say thought because I'm not convinced) was rather forced. I didn't think she was true to his character, but then again, he's her character, and who am I to say whether her own character is in character or not? She sort of defines that. It just seemd like he was very different from how he had been.

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
kl1028

Post by kl1028 »

Spoiler he was very over come with the new information of the fact that his father was alive...i think that would affect someones character no matter how strong ya know?
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Bones Spoiler: Yeah, that's true. I'd imagine so. But he was really out of it. It just seemed... off. His interaction with Clairy didn't seem... I guess nothing seems normal in that book. I could anticipate the Valentine-Clairy thing. But I just felt like the Jace-Clairy thing got jumped on me. I ranted about that before, so I'll shut up about it until I finish Ashes. :p
Ren's newest story!
kl1028

Post by kl1028 »

haha no ranting is fine....we all do it at one time or another...

spoiler- yea i didnt expect the valentine clary thing either and i still dont believe it...i dont know its been a while since ive read the books so im forgetting all my theories but cassandra needs to give us answers glass because i really dont believe that clary and jace are related....its wrong for them to seem so right for eachother