Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Likeasunburn
Protector Of Pel's Sanity

Re: Cassandra Claire: Mortal Instruments Series

Post by Likeasunburn »

Oh man *shakes her head* That whole business with the Faerie Queen was just so WRONG!... *cackles* Poor Simon.
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

It was totally manipulative, but you know you wanted to see that kiss! And what a kiss, huh?
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Likeasunburn

Post by Likeasunburn »

Ok, guilty. I did. But I have a confession: I had to look up what in the heck a boon was. I thought at first the queen was telling some kinda Faerie dirty joke. :oops:
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I don't feel guilty because I still refuse to believe they are blood related. When the Queen required the kiss I was thrilled! Although I did feel awful for Simon, it was a GREAT kiss.

That is one of the things I love most about reading, I learn such new and fabulous words. Last night during class I was teaching and asked my students (because I like feedback on assignments) who liked the assignment they just completed, who hated it and who was ambivalent. When I got the blank stare, I asked if they knew what ambivalent means. Out of 30 students, none of them did. I scolded them and told them to read more! Oh, and I did define it for them...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Likeasunburn

Post by Likeasunburn »

So I finished Ashes. I'll go light for spoiler protection.

I'll admit, I started the book expecting a Jace/Maia pairing because of how quickly she was introduced but now... I'm with you guys. There is NO WAY they're biological brother and sister, just no way. My theory? Daddy-dearest somehow took the essences/powers/blood of different Shadowhunter families to mix up a batch of DNA to make some pretty exceptional off-spring. I'm thinking he must have known all along about Clary, watching from wherever he was hiding out.

Two things I'm fuzzy on: 1. What exactly happened to Jocelyn’s arm? He puts big tubes into it? Why? Wouldn't he have tried normal rune healing methods? Or was that part of what she did t herself?... and 2. Did it mention what happened to Valentine's other pet bird?
Marcy
Lexicon Crisis Evacutation Coordinator

Post by Marcy »

Okay. I'm here, and I'm upset that nobody told me sooner that I HAD to read this series. I so do not have time for another fandom, but I have a feeling that it's too late for me now to escape getting fannish over this series. I devoured these suckers and immediately started reading them again. :D

Firstly, Jace may possibly be my favorite male character ever. In so many way, I love him more than Edward. (of course, thats probably because he's shiny new, and I've been crushing on Ed for years...but still ;) ;) )

Secondly, No. There's just no way they are siblings. No way at all. Part of me believes that Jace is the inquisitor's grandson, the baby that was 8mo gestation when the mother "killed herself." Uh, huh. Imogen sure figured something out there at the end, and then threw herself in front of Jace to save him. I'm not buying that it was his innocence that she suddenly believed in that spurred that sacrifice.

Thirdly, I'm very disturbed by the fact that even if they are siblings, I still ship them. I can't help myself. They are just too...fiery together. <3 Also, I'm scared to even look at fanfic for this series for this very reason. I imagine there is some freaky stuff out there! :lol:

Fourthly, Simon is love. Simon is so so so much love.

I so need icons from this series. So many great quotes. The next book comes out on my husbands birthday. Think I should warn him ahead of time that I'll be ignoring him that day? :lol:
Likeasunburn

Post by Likeasunburn »

Marcy wrote:Okay. I'm here, and I'm upset that nobody told me sooner that I HAD to read this series. I so do not have time for another fandom, but I have a feeling that it's too late for me now to escape getting fannish over this series. I devoured these suckers and immediately started reading them again.
To you I say "HA!"
Marcy
Lexicon Crisis Evacutation Coordinator

Post by Marcy »

Likeasunburn wrote:To you I say "HA!"
:lol: I've got it bad. I've got it really bad. I'm listening to the audiobooks now. The narrator for the first one makes the Twilight Narrator sound like the most fluid and brilliant narrator ever. The second narrator is much, much better. :lol: But seriously, I have to freaking wait until March!!??!?!?! Bah.

I'm noticing a lot more things the second time through. I meant to take a count of how many times someone notices how little Jace and Clary look alike, and how the only thing they ever say is similar about Jace and Valentine are the mannerisms and patterns of speech, which clearly, he learned from being raised by the man...not by being his biological son.

Also, who was jocelyn's first child...the one that Valentine turned into a monster?
Ellie Ibis
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Ellie Ibis »

So, I've never read these, mostly because I'm iffy about them. So, how many of you remember/read Cassie Claire back when she just wrote fanfiction?

If you have, how does her fanfiction compare to her actual novel-writing abilities? Because I will remain iffy about reading these until someone can answer me this. I really don't want to set myself up to be disappointed.
the cops & the kids & the cats & the robbers
& the stolen moments from the out of tune guitars
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

No, I never read her fanfic, but I have read both good and bad fanfic. These books are better than fanfic, edited and worthy of teen-reading (as an adult I was slightly frustrated.) They do, however, seem to be improving. Ashes was better than Bones. I have pre-ordered Glass and expect it to be better still. There is a pace that seems a little forced, like she's trying to do verbal quick cutting the way a music video does it visually. Some parts of her books would not suffer for a little more dialog or exploration. You can read my reviews of both on my shelfari page. I'm nissanmama there too.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry