Did You Ever Think You're Not Human?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Kam-corder
Settled in Forks

Re: Did You Ever Think You're Not Human?

Post by Kam-corder »

Okay about dreams and ESP. (Extra Sensory Perception or as I like to call it Extra Special Powers :D )I used to read this one book about ESP all the time when I was little. In it there was a case about a man who would put two stop-clocks on his bed stand, he would set one for a random time (like 1:23 am) before he'd go to sleep, he'd think about that time for a few minutes, then randomly in the middle of the night he'd wake up stop the other clock without looking at it and go to sleep. In the morning, when he looked, both clocks would always have the exact same time.

Now a few weeks ago, I was sleeping in while waiting for a friend to come over. I had a dream that my mom came into my room and said that my friend would be here in 28 minutes. (Yes I am positive it was a dream because I asked my mother if she did) I woke up after the dream and happened to see my clock. It read 10:46. I went back to sleep and then woke up a little while later. A little confused I looked at my clock it now read 11:14!! Very surprised I went downstairs and my mother said my friend has just called and was almost here! Weird huh? I can tell myself I only want to sleep for 5 minutes and wake up five minutes later. I think its actually a pretty common thing though...
Elizabeth:There will come a time when you have a chance to do the right thing.
Jack:I love those moments! I like to wave at them as they pass by.

Will:This is either madness... or brilliance.
Jack:It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide.
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

OK, so I don't know if this counts, but I seriously feel like I have out of body experiences sometimes. I know that sounds crazy, so let me explain.

I will just be sitting there, and suddenly, it's l ike I'm watching the scene, like I'm dreaming it. Like, I'll be in the car or something and suddenly, I feel like I'm watching me in a car, and not an active participant.

I felt better about this (i.e. that I wasn't crazy) when I took my Psych 101 class and learned about Formal Operational Thought. My professor said being able to see yourself and your situation as a third party would see it was considered an advanced level of abstract thinking. Think of it as sitting in a classroom with a window, and being able to really see the situation say, from the top of the window sill instead of from your actual vantage point.

Anyway, so that doesn't mean I'm not human, but still, it's interesting. LOL.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
cullen grl 17
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by cullen grl 17 »

all my friends and family think that im a vampire. i walk very quick and quietly and they never see or hear my pass by them. i can kinda hear their thoughts. like one time my friend was mad and i was like "do u have to scream your thoughts all the time?" and she was like amazed!! so she thought that i was pretending to read her mind so i told her that she was thinking that i couldnt read minds, and now she fully belives that i can! and im always falling or something and i never get hurt.*knocks on wood* like the other day i tripped over a rock and instead of losing my balance or falling down, i landed on my feet but in a crouch position, it was pretty kool! :D
***But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,
thou shalt not eat of it;
for in the day that thou eatest thereof
thou shalt surely die***
HazedInDeadlyPollen
Wandering Through Town
Location: somewhere in the many worlds of my brain...with Edward...

Post by HazedInDeadlyPollen »

Okay so I know I'm human but weird things happen to a lot.I don't know if I'm just crazy or something but I also want to think that I do have some sort of special sense.so sometimes I think I make myself think something strange has happened.but my experiences range widely and Ill try to explain them best of my abilities.

One of them started occuring when I was like 5 or something.I used to always dream I was going to the mall with my family.Everytime in the dream we passed this blue building.When going to the mall that I went to in my dream in reality we never saw that building.When I was 9 I moved from new jersey then to massachusetts.We went to this mall there and while drivng there I saw that blue building from my dream.it was really weird and now I see it all the time.

Another thing that happens to me is more resent and something I realized last year.One day I walked into my class and suddenly I could feel an overwhelming wave of tension.I told my friend that the room just felt it was going to burst.She told me everyone was sort of in a bad mood and that something happened.I didnt know about it and my mood was greatly affected by everyone around me.My mood was so fickle I thought I had developed biploar disorder or something.its still like that form, but has seemed to become more subtle.
The way something seems to me changes a lot too.For about 2 years after I moved from new jersey it was like I was living in a dream.everyhing seemed so insubstantial that it took me a while to get a grip on reality.For one year everything started to become more concrete,the haze was lifting.but I found that if I tried to remember those two years and the time when I lived in new jersey its more like struggling to remember a dream.only random memories stuck to me and the memory feels so vague I have troubles connecting it to my life.Ever since last year I started to forget everything.After I read Twilight I started forgetting things.The first thing that scared me was I forgot a whole day existed,then I started forgetting whole weeks.My memory is terrible now,but I seem to remember the things I need to.like school stuff and important details about something.Now I can manipulate the way I live through things.for example,I'm sitting through my history class and its really boring.so I can make everything feel like a dream,the place and my actions lose substance.I've actualy learned to do this at will by practice.it started off with asking myself where I am and if this is real.now I don't even have to ask the questions,the works just feel insubstantial all of a sudden.time goes by quicker this way too.but trying to remember that period of time becomes like remembering a dream again.reality is really vague to me.

I'd just like to know if ok crazy or something.its kinda scary sometimes when the real world has such a thin line to my imagination.
if I'm not talking it means I'm lost inside my mind...
- nANCY ^_^
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

I think we all worry too much about being crazy. After all, what is normal? Everyone has some little quirk, we're just the ones that are brave enough to talk about them.

Kam - That's really interested, you should seriously look into trying to refine it, or becoming so aware of it that you can do it on a whim, rather than just having it happen to you. ;)

la_tua_cantante - It's certainly unusual, and quite clever. I tend to see myself in third person when I do projection meditations - when you meditate and then see yourself going somewhere else. If you don't meditate, you might consider picking it up. It sounds like it would come very naturally to you, but I don't really know. I only (barely) understand myself, and each of us is very unique.

cullen grl - Haha! That's really kinda neat. I have the opposite problem - I'm Bella-Clumsy. Maybe that means I'll *attract* a vampire. :p It seems like being able to land on my feet like that, though, would be more useful than tripping over nothing and hitting my face.

Hazed - What you described is rather phenomenal. I've never heard of anything like that before - well, it happens to me, but that's because I'm an airhead; not quite the same thing - and I'm really impressed you really worked on honing it. What sort of techniques did you do to practice something like that? It's one thing to practice honing ESP by trying to guess the toss of a die or the face of a card, but I can't even imagine how you would practice... whatever it is you do. I don't even know a word for it.

As a Spiritualist myself, I don't believe that being abstract in the sense of doing these strange things makes us less human - in a way, I think it helps us become more intune with ourseleves and nature (and people) around us. Perhaps that makes us *more* human in one sense, but then again, I don't believe that humanity can be measured. It just... *is*. Some of us are just more open to picking up on the subtleties of it all, and some are moving so quickly through their life they don't notice it.

What's my weirdness? Other than meditations, projections, I talk to trees. Not in the sense of 'Hello, how do you do?' but if you just sit quietly around them intuitive insight comes. They have an energy, too, and I actually communicate more through emotion than words, but emotions cannot be passed from one person to another.(Yet.) They are unique to the person, and the best I can do is to try and describe them. However, the trees do not need a spoken word, it's just the emotions and the energy around them. Which is nice. And probably a little weird to some of you. ;)

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

HazedInDeadlyPollen wrote:For about 2 years after I moved from new jersey it was like I was living in a dream.everyhing seemed so insubstantial that it took me a while to get a grip on reality.For one year everything started to become more concrete,the haze was lifting.but I found that if I tried to remember those two years and the time when I lived in new jersey its more like struggling to remember a dream.only random memories stuck to me and the memory feels so vague I have troubles connecting it to my life.Ever since last year I started to forget everything.After I read Twilight I started forgetting things.The first thing that scared me was I forgot a whole day existed,then I started forgetting whole weeks.My memory is terrible now,but I seem to remember the things I need to.like school stuff and important details about something.Now I can manipulate the way I live through things.for example,I'm sitting through my history class and its really boring.so I can make everything feel like a dream,the place and my actions lose substance.I've actualy learned to do this at will by practice.it started off with asking myself where I am and if this is real.now I don't even have to ask the questions,the works just feel insubstantial all of a sudden.time goes by quicker this way too.but trying to remember that period of time becomes like remembering a dream again.reality is really vague to me.

I'd just like to know if ok crazy or something.its kinda scary sometimes when the real world has such a thin line to my imagination.
Hmm. I am glad I stopped by and started to read this thread. There is a lot of interesting experiences out there from what I read.
Hazed, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one that has those dreamlike memories from your past. I struggle with a lot of my memories. Two years of my life are completely gone, I can't even remember people that I met during that time if I didn't keep in touch with them.
I know what you mean about being able to remember things that you need now, like school stuff, friends stuff, etc. I kind of have a theory about it. I think we are able to remember everything that affects our present and perhaps our future, but the things that have gone and no longer hold interest for the future, then they vanish, it's like our brains are discarding that information because is not longer relevant... well, at least that's what I think. I don't know maybe we just have bad memory or just starting alzeimers ;)

Anyways, humans, yes we are... weird humans... yeah, that too :?
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Nena wrote:I think we are able to remember everything that affects our present and perhaps our future, but the things that have gone and no longer hold interest for the future, then they vanish, it's like our brains are discarding that information because is not longer relevant...
Crap! It's bad enough to have your human memories fade when you become a vampire, but to lose them when you're still human, too? That just seems unfair. :p

But in all honestly, Nena, I think you do have a very legitament point about it. When does memory actually start to solidify in child development? Around age four or six or something? You're supposed to be able to retain memories from that point on, but heck, maybe my memory is just the sticks, but the earliest memory I have (not counting an out of body experience I had of when I was a baby, and I asked, the event did occur but there was no video of it so I don't remember a video instead.) is like, fifth, fourth grade, which is WAY older than six. And that was about me getting glasses - which does affect me still today. (Dern contacts.)

And honestly, with your green, I was a little wary. I thought maybe we were getting a little too rowdy over here or something. :p I hope you come back and continue to post. It's nice to see discussion kick up, rather than everyone just posting about how we're all weird together. While it's interesting, I thouroughly enjoy discussion on it, too. :)

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Nena, Ren.. I have the exact same problem. Except for me I think it's more of a blocking symptom. I have a hard time remembering anything in my past. I can't remember a single thing before the age of 14, supposedly due to traumatic incidents.. but occasionally I will have dreams and have to call home to ask my mom if certain things happened. And occasionally, I will dream things that haven't happened yet, but always seem to materialize.

Maybe we forget the things we're not supposed to remember because they're too difficult to think about, and our intuition helps forsee things coming?
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

ashleygill03 wrote:Nena, Ren.. I have the exact same problem. Except for me I think it's more of a blocking symptom. I have a hard time remembering anything in my past. I can't remember a single thing before the age of 14, supposedly due to traumatic incidents.. but occasionally I will have dreams and have to call home to ask my mom if certain things happened. And occasionally, I will dream things that haven't happened yet, but always seem to materialize.

Maybe we forget the things we're not supposed to remember because they're too difficult to think about, and our intuition helps forsee things coming?
What it's your mind's way of keeping you safe, of self-preservation? What if everything before 14 was just awful and your mind suppressed the memories as a defense mechanism? I remember things from my life from as young as 3, but I have to work hard to remember them purposely, because we all know that memories fade. Could it be that your mind chose to have these memories fade faster than normal? If you're really interested, maybe you can go see a doctor that can help with the memories.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Hypnotism, too, I've heard is useful. It helps you relive memories without actually reliving them. Like, you let them out, but somehow your mind is protected when you're under hypnosis. I've never had it tried, but I've always wanted to be hypnotized. It might be something to look into if you want.

Funny thing... speaking of being weird. So lately I've been dreaming about the same man. Every night, he's there. UNless I don't dream at all, which happens. And, naturally, since he's my ideal, perfect man, he's tall, dark and handsome, violet-ish eyes, and of course, he's a vampire. And in my dream, I'm always just starting to go to sleep in my room, and he pops up. Sometimes we talk (sweet voice!) and sometimes we don't. They always end with me needing to go to sleep, and him crawling ontop of my bed and me falling asleep curled up against him.

Since I've been having those dreams, I've been waking up after long hours of sleeping still feeling tired. So, I had a thought experiment. Humor me.

What if it was real? Think about it: if someone had the capability to erase or suppress your memories, you'd never know! In the moment, sure, you'd be aware of what was happening, but afterwards, when you thought about it, you'd never remember it happening. So, it is, using that weak logic, possible that a mysterious vampire appears in my room everynight, and then erases my memories about it. But it's happened so often, that I'm starting to remember them as hazy dreams. Hey, it could happen! :p

(But now, it's just to the point where I want to go to sleep so I can see him again.)

<3 Ren
Ren's newest story!