Are vampires real?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Are vampires real?

Post by Pel »

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/video/
(Type in "Vampires" in the search bar and click on the first video--the one with the mysterious figure emerging from the fog.)

Now I ask you: What the heck?

I was browsing through the NG website (dorky, I know) and I came across this.

Just in case you're not familiar, "Is it Real?" is a show on the National Geographic channel that looks at urban legends like crop circles and Big Foot and the like. They take a bunch of witnesses and scientists and give you all the information that tries to prove or disprove whatever they're discussing. And then it's up to you to decide if you believe in it or not.

I'm inclined to believe that these are just crazy people, especially the second guy. But I seriously don't know. It's all pretty creepy.

Either way, I'd take a Cullen over these two any day.

What do you think?
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Re: Are vampires real?

Post by Feathers »

Edit: It's not the first video anymore, it's like, the fourth, so check for the "Is it Real?" name.

About the video; I don't know. I think there are some crazy people who like to drink human blood. The scare me, but if that's their M.O., then more power to them. But I don't think they're this real, ethereal, undead sort of creature.

That being said, I do believe that there is... probably... something out there we don't understand. The existance of angels is pretty easy for most people to accept, so why not something like demons or vampires? Are they running the streets attending gothic parties and mingling with the humans? Proabably not. But is it possible they exist, despite a very, very limited contact with us? I'd like to think so. There's so much we just don't understand about our physical and not-so-physical world. Are vampires really that much of a stretch?

But... I think... it seems like a powerful, immortal vampire or whatever be it, would be much less frightening to meet in a dark alleyway, than one of those scary blood-drinking humans. Humans scare me, frankly. I'd like to think that something that lives for a really long time gets bored with people who don't, and would just walk right on by in the alley. A human wouldn't do that. *Shudder*

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
missjulie
Settled in Forks

Post by missjulie »

Face <-->Palm

Well. I can't say I haven't seen this type of video before. But do you think a real vampire (assuming they exist) would actively talk about it? Really? Its kind of like God not proving that he exists (Read: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

God exists based on faith, so if he proved he existed people would have no faith, just proof, and in theory, God would then cease to exist. Vampires aren't as dogmatic, but the same principle applies. Why would they prove or talk about their existence when that very existence almost relies on them not existing.

I may have gotten too philosophical there. Oops.

I'll take a Cullen too. :D
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

My dad told me that vampires are a myth. Vlad the Impaler, a Transylvanian Prince would have people beheaded, drain them of their blood and then drink it. There are still covens elsewhere, who believe they are vampires and drink blood and whatnot, but most suffer from psychological problems, seeming as human blood, if ingested, causes brain damage and hallucinations. I'm really interested in Anthropology and Psychology and have researched all of these things.
If anyone has ever watched Bones, there was an episode about this. It actually takes place just outside of Forks. It's called "The Man In The Bear".
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

There is a Bones episode, outside of Forks, about vampires? You've got to be kidding me. I love Bones. I must look into this.

I mean, I'm not going to get up on my soapbox and say Count Dracula is real. But, there are all these myths. And they're all... sort of similar, in some aspects. Like Stephenie described different vampires spawning them, the Denali coven causing the succubus ones, for example... these myths are all over, but they had to come from somewhere. Maybe I'm just a romantic at heart and love entertaining the idea that something supernatural is out there.

Who knows, right?

I need to look into this Bones thing.

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
missjulie
Settled in Forks

Post by missjulie »

Feathers wrote:There is a Bones episode, outside of Forks, about vampires? You've got to be kidding me. I love Bones. I must look into this.

I mean, I'm not going to get up on my soapbox and say Count Dracula is real. But, there are all these myths. And they're all... sort of similar, in some aspects. Like Stephenie described different vampires spawning them, the Denali coven causing the succubus ones, for example... these myths are all over, but they had to come from somewhere. Maybe I'm just a romantic at heart and love entertaining the idea that something supernatural is out there.

Who knows, right?

I need to look into this Bones thing.

<3 Ren
Let me know when you find that episode! I must see it!!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

What season was this Bones episode in? I watch Bones religiously, but I didn't start until the second season and I don't remember this episode! I must look into this as well.

As far as vampires being real or not.... I know there are people out there who believe they are vampires. However, I'm not sure about "real" vampires. I do believe in spirits, or if you want to call them ghosts. I also believe that these spirits can be good or bad. But, they are just spirits without bodies, so I don't think they could do the things that our vampire myths describe. Also, I guess if "real" vampires existed, my whole belief system would just crumble and fall away. However, there's a part of me that would be really excited if vampires like the Cullens existed! :D
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
tinuviel2006
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by tinuviel2006 »

Well as much as I'd like to believe that not only vampires, but other mythological creatures are real, I think that people, like the young man on that documentary, have some serious issues with their psyche! I mean, come on! That would mean that the boogeyman is real...hahahahah. Mythology fascinates me, but there's also reality.
HipsAndHearts
Learning to Love Green

Post by HipsAndHearts »

The Bones episode is Season 1, Disc 1. I've watched it a million times.
Luna Silvertail
Wandering Through Town

Post by Luna Silvertail »

Hmmm... I think that vampires are real, but not in the way you guys think.

There are a condition that comes to my mind.

Pica- Basically the consumption/appetite of/for non-food or non-nutritious items. There is people out there who crave things such as ice, dirt, glass (OW!), hair, wood, and yes, even blood.

There are people out there who consume blood.... like that guy in the video, and there is some other creatures (Fleas, Ticks, and Mosquitoes anyone?) that do get nutrients from blood for what ever reason.

So in a way, yes, vampires are real. In a awesome super-Cullen way? No. I can't see that happening.

I do agree with the existence of ghosts/spirits. But I can't quite grasp the idea of a Vampire, with super natural powers. Deranged people who drink blood, yes. A species of blood drinkers, who have special powers, no. *shrugs*
Oh yeah? Well, I bit the werewolf back!