Are vampires real?

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Are vampires real?

Post by jenni_elyse »

After reading Luna Silvertail's post, I'm reminded of a CSI episode. There was a lady who had a type of disease that if she didn't consume blood, she'd basically die from some sort of "madness." It's a real disease. So, in that instance as well, "vampires" are real.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

Luna Silvertail wrote: I do agree with the existence of ghosts/spirits. But I can't quite grasp the idea of a Vampire, with super natural powers. Deranged people who drink blood, yes. A species of blood drinkers, who have special powers, no. *shrugs*
Not gonna sit here and say you're wrong, because honestly, I have no freaking clue. But, being a person who's studying a science in which we know so very little (astronomy) I find myself constantly asking myself 'how can you be sure?'

So, due to that, and because I like to make people really think about things, if we accept that ghost/spirits exist, that confirms there is some sort of soul, or essence to our mortality so that it lingers after death. Who's to say that there isn't a way to preserve the shell in which that soul dwells? Perhaps not for forever, but what if there is a way that vampires could be "immortal"?

Sure, it doesn't SEEM like it makes sense, but then again, I get the feeling that if real vampires, as in, the immortal, nearly-indestrutable type did exist, us humans wouldn't know about it. And if we did, we'd probably not have the time to tell anyone, you know?

Just throwing the What If/How can you be sure they aren't? question out there.

Jenni - I think I remember that episode. Was that the one with the fitness trainer that had her dogs attacking people, and she'd put the organs in a blender for a smoothie? *Shudder* Or a different one?

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Ren, yeah, that's the episode. *shudder* is right! I also think you're right to an extent in that we really can't "know" for sure. I guess there's just some things we have to take on faith as to whether or not our beliefs are real. So, I guess it's just a matter of what we believe. I feel like my thoughts are so incoherent.
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
alellie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by alellie »

missjulie wrote: God exists based on faith, so if he proved he existed people would have no faith, just proof, and in theory, God would then cease to exist. Vampires aren't as dogmatic, but the same principle applies. Why would they prove or talk about their existence when that very existence almost relies on them not existing.
Well said! You've taught me something that not even the smartest of my teachers could teach!

And, well, just like with beings from beyond the galaxy, we don't know. The world is not limited to our current knowledge.

-Janine
Vampirechick101/Alellie: PICAOS/ Zookeepers to Mr. Panda
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

alellie wrote:
missjulie wrote: God exists based on faith, so if he proved he existed people would have no faith, just proof, and in theory, God would then cease to exist. Vampires aren't as dogmatic, but the same principle applies. Why would they prove or talk about their existence when that very existence almost relies on them not existing.
Well said! You've taught me something that not even the smartest of my teachers could teach!

And, well, just like with beings from beyond the galaxy, we don't know. The world is not limited to our current knowledge.

-Janine
Precisely!

However, I'm willing to bed that if there are vampires, they're nothing like our media makes them out to be. Though, they might be even more fantastical than we could ever imagine. That's my inner romantic coming out. Oh, sometimes I wonder if maybe I was born to meet a vampire. Just like Bella; not quite on the same wavelength or something. Like I was made for another world. But that's me dreaming. Silly, at times. That's why I write. Helps get it out so I don't feel so... mentally insane. :p

<3 Ren
She used to be human, and then it changed. How did she die? Why did she meet James? One couple’s unlikely love story is another person’s untimely tragedy. Ashes
Ren's newest story!
Anarey
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Anarey »

Well... Vampires like the ones in the movies that are way too powerfull and way too hot, I wish! I'd be the first one in the line to meet one, and with my neck bare, just in case. But there are many reasons why a person can be considered a vampire. There are people that suffer from an illness that keeps them from going into the sun, there are psychological problems that gives some people the craving to drink blood and they actually feel weak if they don't. There is people who is adicted to the flavor of it, just like being adicted to chocolate I guess (I do like the flavor of it and I sort of drink mine but only what comes out when I accidentaly cut myself or something). There are also certain groups that believe they can achieve another level of conciousness (or even get certain abilities) when drinking the blood of people because they believe they are ingesting the psychic energy of the person. As for the mythology vampires, I believe in God and ESP, so in my vision of the world anything goes. Legends have to come from somewhere, after all.
ImageCan't wait til Nov 20!!

"A mighty pain to love it is, and 'tis a pain that pain to miss; but of all the pains, the greatest pain is to love, but love in vain."
-Abraham Crowley
Feathers
Lusting for Blood

Post by Feathers »

I agree with Anarey; I mean, there are all these legends in so many languages from all over the world - and they all have a lot in common. So someone, or some kind of someone, had to be unusual enough to start them. Sure, they've been exaggerated, I'm sure, elaborated on, but some of the things are so strange it would be hard for them to all be exaggerated in the same way. Burning in the sun, drinking blood, superhuman speed/strength/hearing and potential mind-reading... I certainly don't understand everything about our world, and I don't know anyone who does. And I'm just too much in love with the idea of them existing to toss it out. Sigh.

<3 Ren
Ren's newest story!
kl1028
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kl1028 »

the vampires that we read about dont exists (at least i dont think so ) but there are ppl who think that they are vampires whether they ingest blood or feed off someones energy...there are other types im sure but i think that ppl can convince themselves of anything....if they want to be a vampire and truely think they are then they are...its mind over matter

if any of you have read the changed by nancy holder- its a work of fiction in immortal love stories with bite...it kind of touches on how ppl percieve vampires and how they believe they should act and because of that the vampires convince themselves that that is they way they should be....if that makes sense
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

The idea of vampires started somewhere, so they have to exist in some sense of the word. I've always wanted to believe that there was more to life than meets the eye. There are things out there that most people don't understand or want to understand. This reminds me of the alien debate. Some people automatically dismiss the idea because they do not believe what they cannot see, then there are those that don't know, and finally we have people that believe anything is possible. When it comes to vampires, I'd like to believe that they are real or at least they were, because life is full of mysteries and of unexplainable events, so why not?
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Well there is evidence supporting historical "vampires" (i.e. Vlad Dracul "Dracula", Countess Elizabeth Bathory, etc.) who did terrible things. Vlad impaled and tortured. Elizabeth practiced some of the worst kinds of torture I've ever read about (bathing in blood of young maidens that she brutally tortured and killed).

They are considered historical "vampires". They are just not vampires in the sense that mythology has made them out to be.

Now.. are there vampires in the mythological sense? It's possible, although unlikely they would follow legend exactly.

Considering how small the Earth and even our version of humanity are in regards to the massive size of the universe.. we have only a spec of knowledge. I'm sure things exist beyond the scope of our understanding.