College Applications

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

College Applications

Post by Pel »

A place to discuss the fun, fun, fun of the application process.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: College Applications

Post by Elizabeth »

If they offer an online version of the application, do it! I had to fill mine out by hand, but I only applied to one school. I figured if I didn't get in, I wasn't meant go far for school, I was just going to register at the local university if I got rejected. Another tip, apply early! I got my acceptance letter in September, which is unusually early. But the earlier you apply, the sooner you can make plans for saving money, things you'll need, etc. and on your available options for schools.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
jamielikewhoa
Wandering Through Town

Post by jamielikewhoa »

Use the Common Application if possible, so you don't have to fill out individual applications, just fill out the supplements.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Good point Jamie. I think my state had a general application that you could fill out, but you still had to pay for each individual school's application fee. At least it saved some time if nothing else!
Team Edward:
Because...
simplymortal314
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by simplymortal314 »

I have a question:
How many schools should one apply for?
I get to experience this joy next year oh boy.
Manifest plainness, Embrace simplicity, Reduce selfishness, Have few desires.
~Lao Tzu
Need something to do?
read. blog. watch.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

I think it depends. What are you looking to major in? Budget? How far you want to travel for school? I only had one school in mind. If I didn't get in, I was going to go to the local university. I got accepted to the school I wanted to attend, it wasn't too far from home (four hours) and thanks to Florida's state scholarship fund, most of my tuition was paid for. I majored in Business, but later changed majors. If you're unsure about your area of study, you can go anywhere. I recommend taking tours of schools your considering, this will give you a better idea of what you may or may not be looking for when applying to various institutions.
Team Edward:
Because...
simplymortal314
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by simplymortal314 »

I know what I want my career to be (Physician Assistant) and I want to go to Marquette University. I just want to have back ups and don't have a good idea of how many I should have. I want to major something in Medicine. I know if I do my undergrad at MU, I'll have a higher chance to be accepted for the graduate program for PA there since that is where I did my undergrad. I just want to have a secure safty blanket.
Manifest plainness, Embrace simplicity, Reduce selfishness, Have few desires.
~Lao Tzu
Need something to do?
read. blog. watch.
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I'm really curious about the application process in the US colleges...what do they ask for? High school transcripts, I presume and then...what?
Here in Italy you have an entrance examination. When I enrolled there was absolutely nothing, you just paid and studied. But the organisation of higher education is completely different.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

simplymortal: I would think three would be a safe number of backups. Just remember that the sooner you get your application packet together the better your chances for approval. Good luck with everything! If you need any help or more questions, let me know.

dimber: You may want to check with individual schools to see what they require for international students. The information needed may vary by institution and state guidelines. You'll need official documentation showing you can study in the States, such as a Student Visa, but I don't know what other paperwork is required.
Team Edward:
Because...
heat of the sun
Wandering Through Town

Post by heat of the sun »

dimber wrote:I'm really curious about the application process in the US colleges...what do they ask for? High school transcripts, I presume and then...what?
Schools must receive your examinations scores on the SAT and/or the ACT, depending on what the school requires or what you took. Some universities nowadays don't even take standardized test scores because they realize that most of the time, the scores don't reflect a student's real efforts and grades. You must also fill out an application with information and you have to answer an essay [prompts vary]. Sometimes, there are short answer questions as well.