Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Amethyst1
Completely Dazzled!

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Post by Amethyst1 »

I live in canada. here are some facts
-we say 'zed' not 'zee'
-some of us say 'eh' (i don't)
-When i walk to school i can expect strangers to say 'good morning' or 'hello' to me (at least where i live xD)
-we have mounties (mounted poice) *giggle*
-we have a queen
-we spell 'colour' not 'color' and 'neighour' not 'neighbor'
-Tim Hortons is everywhere...seriously
-we have free healthcare
-we call 'bathrooms' washrooms...(i was so confused in england, because they called them "toliets' or 'the loo' haha)
-it's freakisly clean, all the time
-winters are dead cold (at least where i live. gloves aren't good to wear. you need to triple or double them)
-we have provinces and not states.

some sterotypes:
-we wear funny hats and live in igloos and hunt polar bears
-walk around in snow shoes
-says 'aboot' not 'about'

that's all the can think of. haha
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Post by vamp na hEireann »

I found this and it's surprising how many of them are true!
You know you're Irish when...

You will never play professional basketball
You swear very well
At least one of your cousins holds political office
You think you sing very well
You have no idea how to make a long story short
You are very good at playing a lot of very bad golf
There isn't a huge difference between losing your temper and killing someone
Much of your food was boiled
You have never hit your head on the ceiling
You spent a good portion of your childhood kneeling
You're strangely poetic after a few beers
You're poetic a lot
You will be punched for no good reason...
Some punches directed at you are legacies from past generations
Your sister will punch you because your brother punched her
Many of your sisters are named Catherine, Elizabeth or Mary... and one is named Mary Catherine Elizabeth
Someone in your family is incredibly cheap
It is more than likely you
You don't know the words but that doesn't stop you from singing
You can't wait for the other guy to stop talking so you can start talking
"Irish Stew" is the euphemism for "boiled leftovers from the fridge"
You're not nearly as funny as you think you are, but what you lack in talent, you make up for in frequency
There wasn't a huge difference between your last wake and your last kegger party
You are, or know someone, named "Murph"
If you don't know Murph, then you know a "Mac" or a "Mc"
If you don't know Murph, Mac or Mc, then you know "Sully"
You'll probably also know Sully McMurphy

The one's in bold are true!
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

vamp na hEireann wrote:I found this and it's surprising how many of them are true!
You know you're Irish when...

You will never play professional basketball
You swear very well
At least one of your cousins holds political office
You think you sing very well
You have no idea how to make a long story short
You are very good at playing a lot of very bad golf
There isn't a huge difference between losing your temper and killing someone
Much of your food was boiled
You have never hit your head on the ceiling
You spent a good portion of your childhood kneeling
You're strangely poetic after a few beers
You're poetic a lot
You will be punched for no good reason...
Some punches directed at you are legacies from past generations
Your sister will punch you because your brother punched her
Many of your sisters are named Catherine, Elizabeth or Mary... and one is named Mary Catherine Elizabeth
Someone in your family is incredibly cheap
It is more than likely you
You don't know the words but that doesn't stop you from singing
You can't wait for the other guy to stop talking so you can start talking
"Irish Stew" is the euphemism for "boiled leftovers from the fridge"
You're not nearly as funny as you think you are, but what you lack in talent, you make up for in frequency
There wasn't a huge difference between your last wake and your last kegger party
You are, or know someone, named "Murph"
If you don't know Murph, then you know a "Mac" or a "Mc"
If you don't know Murph, Mac or Mc, then you know "Sully"
You'll probably also know Sully McMurphy

The one's in bold are true!
This is true, but it's not making fun of the Irish which is good! I think we all know people of Irish descent, I'm thinking most people I meet have a little bit of the ancestry. I'm not Irish, but I've gone to some Irish Fest events in Florida when I still lived there. I had a blast! Gotta give it to them, they can party like no others.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

manda87 wrote:

I also lived in boston (where I swear it kills people to use their turn signals and "masshole" is a common phrase) so ill put some of those up too.

You think it's your God-given right to cut someone off in traffic.
You think three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heatwave.
You don't think you have an attitude.
You always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.
You believe using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
You don't realize that you walk and talk twice as fast as everyone else.
Your favorite adjective is "wicked."

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN BOSTON:

When on a one way street, stay to the right to allow oncoming traffic to pass.
*Never, ever, stop for a pedestrian unless he flings himself under the wheels of your car.
*The first parking space you see will be the last parking space you see. Grab it.
*Double park in the North End of Boston, unless triple parking is available.
*Learn to swerve abruptly. Boston is the home of slalom driving, thanks to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, which puts potholes in key locations to test drivers' reflexes and keep them on their toes.
Never get in the way of a car that needs extensive bodywork.
*Honk your horn the instant the light changes.
*Breakdown lanes are not for breaking down, but for speeding, especially during rush hour. Breakdown lanes may also end without warning causing traffic jams as people merge back in.
*Whenever possible, stop in the middle of a crosswalk to ensure inconveniencing as many pedestrians as possible. And if a pedestrian ahead of you steps in the road, speed up loudly and chase him back up on the curb. Peds have no rights.
Don't know about stopping on the crosswalk, because most pedestrians just crossed wherever. My sister throws herself into traffic whenever she crosses a street, I guess that was a learned trait.

I never heard of Masshole, I've heard of Mass-Why are we talking about a donkey?! It's not so much a Boston thing, yeah, it sucks to drive there, but you'll see some of this stuff happen all over the state. I just remind myself that the roads in Boston were originally old horse trails, unfortunately the city didn't change to conform to urban sprawl!

Even with its many faults, I still love Boston!
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Venecettia
Playing the Stockmarket with Alice

Post by Venecettia »

I am from Minnesota.

We do think we are the best drivers, and that everyone else's driving is horrible.
We do obsess over the fact that the Mall of America is in our state.
We all say our "O"'s very loud and clearly (in my area)

Those are all I can think of, for now.
AlainaTwilight
Learning to Love Green

Post by AlainaTwilight »

Psychicpoptarts wrote:
AlainaTwilight wrote: My dad is ex-military. (he got injured durring the Gulf War in 91 and was discharged) So I was born in Britian (dad was stationed there from 1988-1995), and lived there for the first 5 years i was alive (we had to move after my dad was discharged, and my mom finally got US Citizenship). Yea...I have a mild accent, my mom is from Britian but my accent isn't as strong as hers (you really only hear it on certian words), and I have dual citizenship. I've grown used to living in the US, since I've spent 12 years here. I like both countries, but I prefer London to Portland.
Yay for military dads! I've actually been to London, recently. I actually liked it there a lot!! I actually knew Japanese when I was young, but after I didn't use it, I lost most of it. I still know a few phrases and words! I would definitely love to live in Japan again! :)

yep...Yay for Military dads! :) I go back to London every summer to spend 6 weeks with my relatives on my moms side. I miss living there, and I'm moving back to london for college next year. yeah...I've seen videos of me as a toddler, and my accent is really strong, like my moms, but i've lost some of it cause of living in the US. but it tends to be stronger at the end of the summer, when i get back form London, but fades to normal after I'm around my friends here more. once i move for college though, It'll get to be like my moms. I'm glad i still have it cause it makes me unique at my school. :) I've never been to Japan, but would so love to go sometime. I'd also love to visit India. :)
aprilshowers
Settled in Forks

Post by aprilshowers »

ashleygill03 wrote:
Haggis is NOT an animal of any type.
My husband has an obsession with haggis, he just had a whole case shipped to our house. What is it exactly?
Haggis is kind of like mince (basically it's a type of meat). You don't want to know what it is made of. Trust me. It's really nice but it an aquired taste. You have it with Potatos and turnip. You should def try it.
MySpaceHeater
Settled in Forks

Post by MySpaceHeater »

Yay haggis! I love living in Scotland! Everyone thinks that haggis is some kind of animal that will attack you. It's so amusing :lol:
I live about half an hour away from Glasgow. I don't think I have an accent, but when I went to Florida in Easter, no one could understand what I was saying. I asked a guy for a bottle of water, he just looked at me and asked if I wanted a "bud" :lol:
What you guys would call "chavs" we call "neds".
People "get mad wae it" or "mwi".
People get described as "fresh".
The "neds" get drunk on wine made by monks.
Lots of people are orange and stink of fake tan.
It rains alot
Pracically every time me and my friends go into town (Glasgow) we see people taking pictures of Buchanan street or getting pictures with buskers playing the bagpipes.

It's great :mrgreen:
"Who's afraid of the big, bad wolf?"
"I don't have any leeches on my speed dial."
"You should've seen his face when I started taking my clothes off, though. Priceless."
"Sure sure."

Ren-who? Jacob's mine
ashleygill03
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by ashleygill03 »

Alright, I think I'll give the haggis a try. My husband continually badgers me to try new things...
vamp na hEireann
Teaching Eric Social Graces
Location: Turning Bill and Tom into vampires.Seriously were did the sun go?oh right...this is Ireland

Post by vamp na hEireann »

Elizabeth wrote: This is true, but it's not making fun of the Irish which is good! I think we all know people of Irish descent, I'm thinking most people I meet have a little bit of the ancestry. I'm not Irish, but I've gone to some Irish Fest events in Florida when I still lived there. I had a blast! Gotta give it to them, they can party like no others.
Yeah we can party!!! :lol: Galway has the best festivals ever but if we're abroad we make can still have the best craic ever!Best country in the world EVER!Woo,go Ireland!LOL!
Last edited by vamp na hEireann on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight Sun Virgin!
|----[|██████]=----
ImageTrainee of EDC Inc. Private of Jaspers Confederate Army,Go Stainless Claret! Twilight Mafia