Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
singingsolitude
Wandering Through Town

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Post by singingsolitude »

I know you didn't say 'nobody' but I think it's odd that you know people who don't have one, especially if they grew up down there.

No, I'm not.
yeah, actually, most of the people I know dont have an accent even though they've grown up here. I'm really not sure why... but you're right, you can't go anywhere without hearing a full blown southern accent. hahaha....
"The Greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love... and be loved in return...".
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

singingsolitude wrote: yeah, actually, most of the people I know dont have an accent even though they've grown up here. I'm really not sure why... but you're right, you can't go anywhere without hearing a full blown southern accent. hahaha....
You probably think they don't because you're used to hearing it. I bet if I heard them I'd think they do.
It's like a dream- no end and no beginning.
blasphemous_contessa
Working in the Garage with Jacob
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

Post by blasphemous_contessa »

Most people around here don't have any kind of accent, just flat American. Except for the immigrants, they have really cute ones. But if you drive 20 minutes in any direction you'll hear nothing but COUNTRY accents.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

Everybody has an accent, dear.
The way we form our words is our accent. If we can speak, we have an accent.
blasphemous_contessa
Location: The library...or work...course if I was at work I wouldn't be online, so I must be at a library

I said "flat American" which last time I checked counted as an accent.
That one's for Ianto. Risen Mitten, Life Knife, and that old classic...Stun Gun.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

You also said that the people around you "don't have any kind of accent" when they do indeed!
blasphemous_contessa

I meant local, pinpoint-y, regional, state, or whatever you prefer. I assumed it was a given that everyone had some kind of identifying accent based on nation of residence.
Black
Fishing with Charlie

Post by Black »

I've always wondered how accents happened. Especially in the United States. Every country has different accents for different spots, but none of them are as completely different from each other as they are in the US.
blasphemous_contessa

Maybe it's because so many people are already from different places and plus a lot of Native American words became part of the language added to the already varied accents of the older settlers/colonists.
hannaa
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by hannaa »

uhmm.. When we talk about regions in Finland with swedish talking people it's so weird to know that I speak same language but I can't understand them( a bit if they talk slowly), they even have many different words...
Sometimes the right thing for one person is the wrong thing for someone else - Charlie
Team Edward And Team Jacob
I'm on the list