Countries ARE really different

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Countries ARE really different

Post by Pel »

k, I'm from Australia and last year I went over and toured Europe, going to Italy (no, I did not meet Edward) London and France. Everything was going fine until I decided to go to a KFC in London for lunch. Then - shock horror - I asked for some chicken salt. The girl behind the counter looked puzzled and said, "Salt?"
"No," I said. "Chicken salt!"
But she didn't understand and started getting angry so I left.
So I'm wondering, does London actually NOT have chicken salt, or was the lady behind the counter just Twisted Evil ??
Also, I've noticed in America people say 2007 as "two thousand seven" but we say "two thousand and seven"!!
Anything else that you've noticed is different like that, please post it here!!

(ps. In case you are wondering, in Australia we do not ride kangaroos, and our towns don't look like the set of Crocodile Dundee. If you still don't believe me, search 'Melbourne Australia' in google images, where I live!!)

(pps. This is a VERY weird post. Don't worry, I'm not normally like this!!)
Wish.I.may
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Countries ARE really differnt

Post by Wish.I.may »

I'm from Michigan.
We dont have apples and maple syrup everywhere.
Not everyone is obsessed with hockey.
Uh. . .
I live in a small town, but I'm not stupid.
formally, Ostentatious6277
Gabbie
Learning to Love Green

Post by Gabbie »

I think we had the chicken salt discussion once before.. apparently we're the only country that call it that?!

Haha, I had the funniest conversation with my friend the other day. She lives in America, so she always gets confused with my Aussie lingo, so I was like "If I went over there and ordered a bowl of chips with tomato sauce, would I get a strange look?" and she goes "A VERY strange look! And you'd probably get like a bowl of Doritos and stuff they put in hamburger meat!! :shock: "
Hahahahahaha.
It's so weird how countries can vary so much in the way we talk, and how the meaning of some words can change so much!

It's funny because my school is SO typically Australian. Like it's pretty much the sterotype of what people imagine it to be like over here. It's in the middle of a national park, so we get dingos and stuff that come out during class time to find food, and we get kangaroos and stuff. Hahaha. But seriously.. do people really think kangaroos just hop down the main street?! :?
Last edited by Gabbie on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks Lizzy! <3 (AGF)
amontilado
Settled in Forks

Post by amontilado »

Gabbie, I think pel was posting a cut & paste from another member's post from the old forum. She definitely doesn't live in Australia...she IS a fan of Tim Tams though!
Gabbie
Learning to Love Green

Post by Gabbie »

Oh right,right. I get it! Haha.
I thought it was weird.. I was like hmm.. why hadn't I figured that one out before. :shock:

Tim tams are the besttt! <3
Thanks Lizzy! <3 (AGF)
Leah_says
Wandering Through Town

Post by Leah_says »

I'm from the US and I have no idea what chicken salt is. And yes, we do just say two-thousand seven. Don't know why.
mz.cullenn
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by mz.cullenn »

I'm from Australia also. =]
Chicken salt is like a seasoning we put on chips.

Ooo...I love Tim Tams. They are so utterly addicting and delish!
I LOVE EDWARD CULLEN.

Proud Cullenist, Member of Alice House and Supporter of Team Edward, Baby!
-VMT Queen of Diamonds-

I LOVE ME SOME JASPER.
xvampiresxbitex
Settled in Forks

Post by xvampiresxbitex »

i live in texas and even some americans are shocked to know that we do not ride horses everywhere, we are not all cowboys/girls, and not everyone has a thick accent (that being said, there are some small towns that are like that, and we do really like barbeque)
Murphy
Settled in Forks

Post by Murphy »

Well, I live it Scotland so it's pretty different to most places. I found out a while ago that as well as English being our language, Scots is also considered a language now. We have different words that the rest of Britian like "Bairns" or "Wains" for children etc. It's strange seeing the differences just in Britian, never mind the world!
I also found out that there are different names for certain brands or games here. I heard our game Cluedo is just called Clue in America. Or the crisps brand Walkers here is called Lays in other places around the world.
And I have no idea what Chicken Salt is or Tim Tams.

And for the record, Scots don't run around it kilts, playing bagpipes, eating haggis and reciting Robert Burns. We also don't all have ginger hair. :lol:
And I never thought of Australian's like that. The steryotype I mean. :D
catieolacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by catieolacullen »

I'm from Pennsylvania.
There is more than just gangsters, jock straps, and preppy children.
Not everyone owns a gun.
Not everyone's a hoodlum.
Not everyone's a die hard Eagles or Steelers fan.
All of our sports teams do suck as bad as you think.
La tua cantante...
HATE SPINNERBAIT!
Is anyone else here a Sarah Dessen fan, also?