Shelfari and Good Reads

Off-Topic Forum for things having nothing to do with Twilight or the entertainment industry

Moderators: bac, cullengirl, una, Nena

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
BlueOrchid
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Shelfari and Good Reads

Post by BlueOrchid »

LibraryThing is alot of fun! It's really easy to use. I'm telefreak on that, PM me!
librarybooks
Wandering Through Town

Post by librarybooks »

jenni_elyse wrote:Actually, Pel isn't Aria. It took me a minute to figure that out because I knew Canzone e Bella was Aria. Then, I realized Pel copied that from the old thread. However, with the new boards, Canzone e Bella is now Aria here too.
:lol: :lol: I feel silly! I should have paid more attention to the post. Thanks for the tips on how to export my shelf from shelfari. maybe I will add my books to goodreads.

I have a Librarything.com account but I have not explored it. I do know that if you add books to it then you get download MARC records. This is handy thing for librarians.
aria
Settled in Forks

Post by aria »

Haha! Sorry about the slight drama over my Shelfari! I love that website I'm on there and on GoodReads and I much prefer Shelfari. I'm in the 100+ Book Challenge and just finished my 56th book today. I'm a little behind my goal but hopefully I can step it up and get my 100 done by the end of the year!
Banner quote from The Host p. 575
Formerly Canzone e bella
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I love Shelfari. I haven't written enough reviews, but I will get there. I'm Goodnight Elizabeth there as well. I'm on the Twilight Lexiconers Group as well as a few others. I teach Children's Literature at the college level, so I've also listed my favorite kiddie books among my LITERATURE and my smut books. :lol: :? Add me!!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I love reading GNE's shelfari page. Nothing like seeing something (with a cover like) "Dark Lover" or "Mine to Posses" next to "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" or "Green Eggs and Ham."

I am also Una, please feel free to add me. So far I have been really good at keeping up on the reviews and such. I know I find them helpful on other's shelfs. Plus, I really enjoy looking at other's book choices and seeing what other people are reading. I have discovered some great stories just from "browsing" other's shelves. It's much easier than just trying to browse the actual library or bookstore shelf.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
librarybooks
Wandering Through Town

Post by librarybooks »

I really should make a better effort to write good reviews. Sometimes I forget that other people read them and I am not just writing them for myself.

Who has a really good shelf to check out?
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

librarybooks wrote:Who has a really good shelf to check out?
I'm kind of partial to mine. ;) :lol: I do have a lot of reviews, but I'm not sure they're the best. I try to be thorough instead of just saying something like, "I liked this book a lot!" That doesn't really help anyone. I guess the only problem with my shelf is that I don't have a lot of books I've read, so I don't have a lot of reviews. It's slowly growing, though! :D
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

una wrote:I love reading GNE's shelfari page. Nothing like seeing something (with a cover like) "Dark Lover" or "Mine to Posses" next to "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" or "Green Eggs and Ham."
I have a separate account for my "other" bookes. ;) I've been doing ratings and reviews for every book I've read since I made my account. There are a TON of books I've read that I haven't bothered to review because I don't think it's fair if I haven't read them recently. I like to write about them while they're still fresh in my mind.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
Variety
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Variety »

I don't really write a lot of reviews, either. I only do if I really like the book, or really dislike it and think reading it was a waste of time. Then I try to give specifics as to why. Also, I figure, a lot of people read different things, so I try to say a little bit about the book itself, to give them an idea of whether or not they'd like it, and not just base their decision on whether or not I liked it.

I think what I love best about shelfari is being able to see my friends shelves. Then, based on what I know they've said about a book, or the reviews they write, I know I'm much more likely to choose a book I'd like to read. It's easy to compare the books I liked (and why) with the books my friends like. You get to trusting their literature choices better that way.
Where there is great love, there are always miracles. -Willa Cather
Nena
Altering source code with Jasper

Post by Nena »

I finished "stargirl" by Jerry Spinnelli last week and I loved it! I ordered the sequel: "Love, Stargirl" I can't wait to get it in the mail. In the meantime I am reading "Water for elephants" and I can tell is going to be in my favorite list.
While Stargirl is for all genre, I would say that water for elephants is an adult's book.